Buy Nos (New Old Stock) Then Use It?

Tseg

Very few models I can think of, which are still being made after 30 years. Lamy 2000, montblanc Meisterstuck line 146,149. Even though the models are still made there are subtle evolutionary changes. If you are getting the older nos version at 30% off todays retail I would buy and most probably use it. It depends on the pen. Can you share which pen you are asking about?

It is an early '90's Aurora 88... known changes to this "new generation" 88 from the early '90's until today:

• Early version had a "long-tined" nib which potentially provides a bit more spring and precision
  • The nib stamping in the first few years did not include "585" and "Aurora"
  • The flange at the end of the section facing the nib was a bit more bulbous

I'm definitely a hoarder and not a user. When I get I definitely plan to use. I just was curios whether most NOS buyers were users or collectors?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Tseg

• corniche

• A Smug Dill

I suspect that many are collectors/hoarders under the guise of "users" and have too many pens to actually use them all ;) .

I just was curios whether most NOS buyers were users or collectors?

Last August, I bought a NOS Sheaffer 330 (Quasi-Imperial) from the 1970’s just to see if there was a big difference between older, vintage pens and the modern pens I had been using. I liked it so much that I ordered another a week later. They both get carried/used 2-3 times per week.

I’m not sure that they would have any real long term value as collectibles (unused), which is fine because I really enjoy using them.

The previous poster brought up a great situation: NOS that isn't really old and valuable but not really recent and a duplicate of something otherwise available. 10 years ago, when I first joined FPN, I met Teri Morris and Peyton Street Pens. Over the years Teri has done a remarkable job of finding mid-century and later NOS pens that are great starter pens and introductions into 'vintage'. Lots of Sheaffers, Eversharps, and others have been sold and enjoyed, not so much as collectibles but in solid, usable pens that are different from what is out there now. If you go back further and fine a mint, stickered NOS Snorkel in a less-common color, you might very well give consideration to just holding it rather than using it, but there are a lot of NOS pens that are perfect to put in service right away. And neither choice should be looked down upon, when carefully considered by the new owner.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

If one finds a NOS sample that is 20-30 years old and that same "classic" is being produced today,

If there are no known changes in the design, manufacture and materials of the pen model in question over the past twenty to thirty years,

would you buy the never-used NOS that is 30%+ discounted from the 'new' pen and start using it?

then I cannot imagine why I would prefer to use a decades-old NOS unit instead of a brand new 'modern' unit, when the latter can be trusted to write at least as reliably if not more so, and be covered under warranty. Sure, I could theoretically 'save' money by buying the NOS unit, but then I could save even more by simply not buying the pen at all.

On the other hand, if I'm chasing some other quality that isn't present in the 'modern' incarnation of the model, then the purported 'savings' is a red herring. I don't need another Pilot 'Hannya Shingyo' pen, but if I can find NOS unit of the original model from the Seventies (which is somewhat different), I'd probably happily buy it, irrespective of whether I end up using it; mere possession takes priority over the writing experience in contemplating that particular acquisition.

It is an early '90's Aurora 88…

Every 'modern' Aurora 88 pen I have was acquired brand new at a substantial discount from the RRP/MSRP.

known changes to this "new generation" 88 from the early '90's until today:

So do you personally find those changes to be value-add or value-eroding? I'd say decide on the basis of which pen you really want, first and foremost, before considering the 'saving' aspect.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hi Tseg,

If it's a unusual color or model; I leave it NOS, but if it's a common model/color, I typically will use an NOS item.

Sean :)

ETA: I see JonSzanto basically said the same thing. :D

Edited by corniche

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

ETA: I see JonSzanto basically said the same thing. :D

Yeah, he just didn't manage to do it so succinctly! :D

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

It is an early '90's Aurora 88... known changes to this "new generation" 88 from the early '90's until today:

• Early version had a "long-tined" nib which potentially provides a bit more spring and precision

I'm definitely a hoarder and not a user. When I get I definitely plan to use. I just was curios whether most NOS buyers were users or collectors?

If there are no known changes in the design, manufacture and materials of the pen model in question over the past twenty to thirty years,

then I cannot imagine why I would prefer to use a decades-old NOS unit instead of a brand new 'modern' unit, when the latter can be trusted to write at least as reliably if not more so, and be covered under warranty. Sure, I could theoretically 'save' money by buying the NOS unit, but then I could save even more by simply not buying the pen at all.

On the other hand, if I'm chasing some other quality that isn't present in the 'modern' incarnation of the model, then the purported 'savings' is a red herring. I don't need another Pilot 'Hannya Shingyo' pen, but if I can find NOS unit of the original model from the Seventies (which is somewhat different), I'd probably happily buy it, irrespective of whether I end up using it; mere possession takes priority over the writing experience in contemplating that particular acquisition.

Every 'modern' Aurora 88 pen I have was acquired brand new at a substantial discount from the RRP/MSRP.

So do you personally find those changes to be value-add or value-eroding? I'd say decide on the basis of which pen you really want, first and foremost, before considering the 'saving' aspect.

I know 88's can be bought below MSRP... but my acquisition was 33% below the lowest European vendor new price I could find (including 10% discount below that), which backs our VAT and has the strength of the US dollar behind the purchase, and all in, the NOS is still 33% below that (~$140 below, which is no small number). Based on my research, the 1st gen nib with long tines is a plus for writing, the old section end is a slight minus and I suppose the unbranded nib is a bit of a minus.

Back to my original intent of this thread, I bought NOS and intend to use it, I was curious whether other FPN participants buy NOS to use or collect... sounds like most would buy to use. In other words, I was just checking I was not making some grievous obvious mistake by inking what could be considered a limited quantity never used premium brand pen.

If you didn’t buy it as an investment to hold and increase in value over time, and perhaps resell, then it wouldn’t be a mistake to use. You can always document its condition pre-use, if you think it might be of historical importance in the long run.

Now that I’ve inked up my NOS Montblanc 146, I can see it has some issues with excessive ink flow, and a nib tuning is in order; already arranged to ship it to a nibmeister. Also the piston movement is fairly tight. This pen spent a very long time in a fancy presentation box but does not write well when flushed and inked up. NOS can still be a gamble with QC, despite the parts never being used.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

If you didn’t buy it as an investment to hold and increase in value over time, and perhaps resell, then it wouldn’t be a mistake to use.

My thoughts exactly. Who cares about what any other hobbyist (or "collector") does or would do with such a pen, or how rare and/or valuable anyone thinks the pen is, when it's the purchaser's private property to use or dispose of as he sees fit?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

My thoughts exactly. Who cares about what any other hobbyist (or "collector") does or would do with such a pen, or how rare and/or valuable anyone thinks the pen is, when it's the purchaser's private property to use or dispose of as he sees fit?

Well, of course, *some* people might care if a person, unaware of what they had, purchased a rare or unique item and, through their own arrogance or ignorance, totally (bleep) it up. I get that *you* might not care, and indeed once someone owns something, that's that. It doesn't get past the concept that under certain circumstances, it can actually be a loss to the community as a whole if through ignorance or hubris some individual totally cocks up a singular pen.

9.6 times out of 10, though, I would tend to agree with you.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I know 88's can be bought below MSRP... but my acquisition was 33% below the lowest European vendor new price I could find (including 10% discount below that), which backs our VAT and has the strength of the US dollar behind the purchase, and all in, the NOS is still 33% below that (~$140 below, which is no small number). Based on my research, the 1st gen nib with long tines is a plus for writing, the old section end is a slight minus and I suppose the unbranded nib is a bit of a minus.

Back to my original intent of this thread, I bought NOS and intend to use it, I was curious whether other FPN participants buy NOS to use or collect... sounds like most would buy to use. In other words, I was just checking I was not making some grievous obvious mistake by inking what could be considered a limited quantity never used premium brand pen.

I was able to find an unused Esterbrook Deluxe which might have been a demonstrator in a drug store or other, but otherwise unused, I cleaned out the tiny amount of ink with water to see if the sac/diaphragm was intact. I have chosen not to ink and stored in the original box. The sell came from an estate sale so I consider everything to be original.

Right now, most of my collection of old pens have been rinsed with water and are standing in an antique tea cup on my desk. I am enjoying them if not using them.

I have an incoming 1941 Parker 51 coming that is in good vintage condition that I will probably carry for a few weeks/months, but alter allow it to join the Esterbrooks in the cup. For me, there is no use risking damage to a pen when there are Wing Sung 601's and Lamy Al-Stars around that I could care less if they drop from my messenger bag or button column.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I do that all the time. I am a user essentially.

I often buy used in good condition for the pricing advantage, but I like NOS. I tend to avoid badly worn pens, unless they are worn by me...

NOS is often a source of something you can no longer get new, practically as new.

The premium pricing is often worth it as long as you know the value of the object and dont get caught in the frenzy.

Yeah, he just didn't manage to do it so succinctly! :D

Thanks, Jon. :D

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

The functionality of a fountain pen has for me in no other way see it as a useable item. And, though I am not one to muck the heck out of the pens I use, I also am aware that the greatest joy that can be had from a writing instrument is to use it for the purpose it's intended. Though I have tried to state this in perhaps not so clear terms, the majority of vintage pens being made from the earliest plastics known to man, are in a constant state of decomposition.This is a decomposition process that the best museums, even those dedicated to plastic items exclusively, have an ongoing struggle with trying to solve, indeed they have yet to find anything much more than slowing but not stopping this decomposition. So, to have a fountain pen in NOS condition live its life in a pen case, box, drawer etc. potentially (most likely, even with the best intentions) quickening it's decay through poor air flow, and improper environmental conditions, or to have it be used as it's intended, not abused, until it no longer can write is I feel the best way to appreciate it's significance. It will decay either way, and I won't be one to open a drawer someday only to find a cherished pen be but plastic dust, never having had a drop of ink touch its nib.....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Some things in pristine condition have a value without using every day. I know many people who own fine China, which they do not use every day. Certainly the purpose of a plate or a bowl is to have food placed in it, but use can diminish it's finish Some people have China which has been in their family for generations, they are a prized heirlooms. For older pens, there is a value in having them around to show how things were long ago. The NOS pen in the picture is about 70 years old. I didn't even know they put this model (Golden Symphony) in celophane sleeves until this set showed up.

Not all plastics degrade like the older Celluloid. The plastics from a more recent times don't degrade as fast as earlier plastics. Hard Rubber has proven to be tougher than Celluloid, even though most examples of Hard Rubber are older than many examples of Celluloid.

fpn_1581975697__safe.jpg

Edited by Addertooth

oh, btw! I have a few of these (long tinned 88s, without the Aurora wording on the nib) I use them! the nibs are fantastic! you would be missing out not using it!

fpn_1581976083__p1160616-3_aurora_88_big

Some things in pristine condition have a value without using every day. I know many people who own fine China, which they do not use every day. Certainly the purpose of a plate or a bowl is to have food placed in it, but use can diminish it's finish Some people have China which has been in their family for generations, they are a prized heirlooms. For older pens, there is a value in having them around to show how things were long ago. The NOS pen in the picture is about 70 years old. I didn't even know they put this model (Golden Symphony) in celophane sleeves until this set showed up.

Not all plastics degrade like the older Celluloid. The plastics from a more recent times don't degrade as fast as earlier plastics. Hard Rubber has proven to be tougher than Celluloid, even though most examples of Hard Rubber are older than many examples of Celluloid.

fpn_1581975697__safe.jpg

^^^^ I'd use that Eversharp.

oh, btw! I have a few of these (long tinned 88s, without the Aurora wording on the nib) I use them! the nibs are fantastic! you would be missing out not using it!

fpn_1581976083__p1160616-3_aurora_88_big

Nice^^^^ I'll be using! Glad to hear the positive accolades.

I have dozens of others Tseg. Some are demi-god level writers. I write with the truly amazing writers and let the NOS pens continue to do what they do best... serve as a pristine reminder of what drove the wheels of the market from a time before my birth. They are a snapshot of what the customer saw as they considered getting a fine writing instrument while strolling through a stationary store, or, for some pens, a Jewelry Store.

Edited by Addertooth