The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Franklin-Christoph - But Which One?

franklin-christoph

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hologram

hologram

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:52

Having thinned my collection with some selling on eBay I am now able to purchase a long awaited Franklin-Christoph pen.

There's plenty of information on their web site but the breadth of the range and subtle differences between the various pens mean it's hard to get a handle on which one would suit.

I'm based in Australia, so going to a Pen show and trying one before buying isn't an option.

My pen preferences are for pens weighing 17g to 24g, not too long (a posted Lamy Al-Star is too long for me) and for F to M nibs, including stubs. Think vintage Pelikan 140/400nn or modern Pelikan 200/400.

Interested in any pros and cons of these pens and suggestions as to which ones might fit the bill. Any opinions gratefully received  :) .

Edited by hologram, 15 February 2020 - 06:54.

Sponsored Content

#2 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 19:19

I like my model 20, I recommend it. My only FC and a recent purchase

#3 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 00:43

I've owned quite a few F-C's and currently own six different models. Most all of them are in your weight range. For the size I would suggest looking at the Model 20 and 45L both are C/C. If you don't mind cartridge or eyedropper only then the the 20p or 45XLV would also work. I think I would suggest the 20 as your first one. It is more of the length of a Pelikan m600 though. For the same pen in something shorter is the pocket 20 (p20) but it's too short for a converter.

#4 hologram

hologram

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:52

Thanks all for your advice.

Sounds like the model 20 is the best option.

Now to choose a colour and nib  :) 

#5 hushmi

hushmi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 16:02

If it sounds like something you might enjoy, I would recommend ordering an SIG nib as well. 

#6 sansenri

sansenri

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 22:47

there are a few threads on FC which you might search.

I'm happy with the 20 Marietta too, the pen has no threads (the reason why I like it), the cap is friction fit and works well

fpn_1576869530__p1170272-3_fc_20_mariett

#7 MGHamlin

MGHamlin

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 18:51

As a data point, I have the Model 20p and find that it is too small for me to write with unposted.  I really like the way it feels in my hand, it writes wonderfully, and I like the friction fit cap which makes capping and uncapping during quick notes a breeze.  Unfortunately, the convenience of the capping mechanism is offset by the need to post and unpost to use it (for my hand). 

Definitely not a flaw in the pen!  It's a pocket pen, so it's expected to be short.  This one is just a touch too short for my hand, that's all.  It's something I would have identified had I held one in person before purchasing, but live and learn. 

For reference, I find a TWSBI VAC mini to be about as small as I can go unposted at about 4.5 inches.  The 20p measures 4.19 inches (4 3/16) unposted.

I expect I will probably sell the 20p for the reasons above, but I will be using the proceeds to fund a full size 20.  Great pen!

Edited by MGHamlin, 17 February 2020 - 18:52.

#8 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:31

The 20p (105mm) is shorter than a vintage Pelikan 400 (121mm) and a 20 (127mm) is longer. I expect if you can handle a Pelikan 400/m200 unposted you can do fine with the 20p. If you normally post, the 20p is 132mm posted vs 146mm of the Pelikan. I like using my Model 20 unposted. 

#9 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2020 - 18:43

Wow, what a difficult question to answer. For me I find that FC pens can't be described simply by physical assets and nib size. I find the design of the pens, and the material they are made of has a direct affect on how I feel about the pen as well. I found their designs from maybe 5 years ago more appealing than the current designs they have. One of my favorite designs is the 25, which is a pen that's no longer as easily available. The other pen I really like is the 20 made for Wonderpens. The combination of the translucent material together with the shape of the pen really appeals to me. Currently I find their designs to be a little too simplistic for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: franklin-christoph

Sponsored Content

|