The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Finally Ordered That Pilot Custom 823 I've Been Wanting

pilot 823

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 chemgeek

chemgeek

The Curling Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2020 - 00:22

The Custom 823 is my #1 most used pen. It is terrific for travel, with the ability to shut off ink flow when traveling by air, and with its generous ink capacity. The nib, a medium, is butter smooth. This is a workhorse, meant to be used and abused. Mine has been, and it's still ticking. As a bonus, it can be taken apart much like the Eco when the plunger needs lubrication. I've had mine for many years, and eventually the plunger will get a bit sticky. Getting inside to add just a micro dab of silicone will fix that right up. With all that ink capacity, it's not an ideal pen to change ink colors a lot. Enjoy.

Sponsored Content

#42 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:43

At the moment they’re available again in Europe (around 350 euros), but for quite a while, they weren’t. During that time I imported one from Japan but I did not like the nib at all. I tried to learn to love it for six months or so, then gave up and sold it. The design and build were very good but it gave me no joy. About a year ago I purchased an Opus 88 Demonstrator for 80 euros. Not a vac filler like the C823 but an eyedropper, but with a shut-off valve, lots of ink capacity, instantly replaceable #6 screw-in nib and super-easy to clean. The F nib that came with it was very good and immediately gave me joy. I have several nibs at hand that I can pop into that pen with no effort at all and I rotate those at will. I’ve got other nice pens, but that Opus 88 is one helluva pen and totally made me forget about my C823.

I’m not putting down Pilot at all (I consider the Justus 95 to be the best fountain pen on the market today and I’ve got two of those). The C823 is undoubtedly a fine pen but at that price, I can’t quite understand why they are so coveted.

#43 Linger

Linger

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:51

I love this pen. Had to get used to it though - the lack of feedback/tooth (especially on rhodia) was new to me. But on the right paper (e.g. tomoe river) it is a dream. Now that they are distributed here I will get another one in F. 

#44 PenStand

PenStand

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 20:02

At the moment theyre available again in Europe (around 350 euros), but for quite a while, they werent. During that time I imported one from Japan but I did not like the nib at all. I tried to learn to love it for six months or so, then gave up and sold it. The design and build were very good but it gave me no joy. About a year ago I purchased an Opus 88 Demonstrator for 80 euros. Not a vac filler like the C823 but an eyedropper, but with a shut-off valve, lots of ink capacity, instantly replaceable #6 screw-in nib and super-easy to clean. The F nib that came with it was very good and immediately gave me joy. I have several nibs at hand that I can pop into that pen with no effort at all and I rotate those at will. Ive got other nice pens, but that Opus 88 is one helluva pen and totally made me forget about my C823.

Im not putting down Pilot at all (I consider the Justus 95 to be the best fountain pen on the market today and Ive got two of those). The C823 is undoubtedly a fine pen but at that price, I cant quite understand why they are so coveted.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My Opus 88 took me a few days to work up to - specifically the nib. But I've enjoyed my 823 from day one.

If I had to pick between the two theres no doubt I'd take the 823 every time.

#45 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 20:50

I love my Opus 88 as well.  But the Pilot 823 is marvelous as well. Of course, there is a very big price difference...

Erick

Staedtler Corium Urbes Buenos Aires "F" nib running Sailor Jentle Ink Black

Leonardo Officina Italiana Momento Zero Grande "F" nib running Waterman South Sea Blue

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Monteverde Citrine

#46 markofp

markofp

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:36

It really has become The One Pen To Rule Them All for me. I have two now, a Smoke with a medium nib, and a hard-to-get-but-not-too-hard clear demonstrator in fine point. I did the internal modification to make it so you don't have to unscrew the piston end to keep the ink flowing. If anything, I wish it was a little bigger size-wise, but that's all. It's still the one pen that I have that performed perfectly from the first fill, the one I have no desire to nib-smooth or tweak. 

#47 cgreenberg19

cgreenberg19

Pen-Obsessor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 13:47

Good to hear!

#48 adamselene

adamselene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 00:51

You are very fortunate to have found your One Pen To Rule Them All.

I am still questing.

I am trying to identify pens that are perfectly adequate for me, without unacceptable faults for EDC.

Cheers,

Adam

It really has become The One Pen To Rule Them All for me. I have two now, a Smoke with a medium nib, and a hard-to-get-but-not-too-hard clear demonstrator in fine point. I did the internal modification to make it so you don't have to unscrew the piston end to keep the ink flowing. If anything, I wish it was a little bigger size-wise, but that's all. It's still the one pen that I have that performed perfectly from the first fill, the one I have no desire to nib-smooth or tweak. 

Edited by adamselene, 14 May 2020 - 02:08.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

#49 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 20:34

In reference to the OP's post # 20:

Often I use methyl hydrate for removing sticker goo left on Rubbermaid plastic boxes.  However in your case, I'd use another method.  I'm not sure how a thinner would react to the plastic of your pen's barrel.

Using first a low-tack artist's masking tape or a length of green painter's tape, I would cover the goo residue, rub then peel away.  Keep re applying tape, massage then pull off till the tape removes all the stickies.

Edited by tinta, 14 May 2020 - 20:38.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14c.,-0.6 mm BLS, (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "M" -0.4 mm.BLS, (PB)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, 823

Sponsored Content

|