Finally Ordered That Pilot Custom 823 I've Been Wanting

NumberSix

I picked up 3 Lamy Safaris at the first of the year, for use in taking notes in an Accounting class. Charcoal, Blue, and Red (with matching Lamy inks). The pens all worked fine at home, after being flushed before use. But those were the last pens I bought for about 6 weeks. I needed a break after my crazy Nov and Dec Fountain Penning.

The other night was the first class. The blue and black ones both clogged up or dried out or something, on the Clairefontaine notebook. I basically was writing nonstop with them - the blue for about 45 min, and the black for the next 45 min. Plus, the charcoal one writes like (bleep); it's so scratchy. (this is my second charcoal Safari - the last one was a little scratchy, too, though nowhere as bad as this one. I gave that one away months ago. I wonder if it's something about the black nib?)

In the end, I figured it was a message that it's time to finally stop buying cheap pens just because they are cheap.

So I finally took the plunge and ordered the Pilot Custom 823 I have been wanting for months. I went with "Smoke" in Medium. Should be here early next week. (Vanness doesn't mess around with getting orders shipped out.)

It comes with a bottle of Pilot Blue, but I bought a bottle of Iroshizuku Take-sumi about a month ago. It's still unopened, purchased specifically to be used in the black 823 I knew I would order before long.

Edited by NumberSix

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NumberSix

• Driften

• seoulseeker

• mke

Congrats, while I don't own an 823, I have several modern open nib Pilots and all are great performers.

On the Lamy Safari, the nibs are easily exchanged, so if you have a dud, it's about $10-15 to get a replacement. All of my Lamy nibs in that type have been smooth *except* for the EFs, which have ranged from "toothy" to downright scratchy. Since these are easily replaced and inexpensive, it's a great nib to practice your smoothing technique on (see infinite variations on good/bad advice for this pursuit, here and/or everywhere pens are discussed on the web ;) ),

Edited by awa54

David-

So many restoration projects...

You will love the 823, it certainly lives up to its reputation as a "writer's pen."

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I hope you enjoy your 823. Its one of my top pens in my collection. Mine is a B but writes closer to a M. Which is strange since my Pilot gold nibs pens with an M write closer to a B. If for some reason your M writes wide go to a dryer ink and you should be happy.

I love my 823, but I can't imagine note taking with that generous M nib.

For your purpose, you'd be better served with a handful of Varsitys.

Truth is, for notes I might just go back to my .38 G2s if the 823 is indeed too wet. Its only one night a week, and the multiple Safari thing was an experiment anyway.

The 823 will get plenty of other personal and work use!

Congrats, while I don't own an 823, I have several modern open nib Pilots and all are great performers.

On the Lamy Safari, the nibs are easily exchanged, so if you have a dud, it's about $10-15 to get a replacement. All of my Lamy nibs in that type have been smooth *except* for the EFs, which have ranged from "toothy" to downright scratchy. Since these are easily replaced and inexpensive, it's a great nib to practice your smoothing technique on (see infinite variations on good/bad advice for this pursuit, here and/or everywhere pens are discussed on the web ;) ),

I have considered replacing those nibs. Ive definitely switched out Lamy nibs before. And I might end up doing that. The two nibs Ive had trouble with in this batch were both fine. Ironically, the extra-fine on the red pen works just as I want it to.

Enjoy the 823! It has been a workhorse for me for several years. It is a Fine, and it is quite fine in width and performance. Lots of ink capacity. Writes well on any paper.

I hope you enjoy your 823. Its one of my top pens in my collection. Mine is a B but writes closer to a M. Which is strange since my Pilot gold nibs pens with an M write closer to a B. If for some reason your M writes wide go to a dryer ink and you should be happy.

I am indeed very curious about what actual writing I will get from this nib, in terms of broader or narrower. Either way is fine. In my journaling, especially, I usually prefer a medium to a finer nib.

Edited by NumberSix

Enjoy the 823! It has been a workhorse for me for several years. It is a Fine, and it is quite fine in width and performance. Lots of ink capacity. Writes well on any paper.

Nice!

Ive been drooling over this pen for months.

Just curious if you read their first post closely. Not that I ever miss things myself, but...

In the end, I figured it was a message that it's time to finally stop buying cheap pens just because they are cheap.

The 823 has tempted me. They're beautiful pens, and the nibs nice. I hesitate though because I've had so many inquiries about repairing a barrel that cracked at the seam. It happens on both ends, I suspect that its because it was put together without putting silicone grease on the 0-ring(s) first so they bind instead of sliding in. Keep that in mind if you take it apart to clean it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Just curious if you read their first post closely. Not that I ever miss things myself, but...

I dont imagine that Ill be carrying this $300 pen to class to take notes. But I wasnt very clear on that point, and it makes sense that someone would assume I was looking for a replacement for the pens I did buy specifically to take the class.😉

Edited by NumberSix

The 823 has tempted me. They're beautiful pens, and the nibs nice. I hesitate though because I've had so many inquiries about repairing a barrel that cracked at the seam. It happens on both ends, I suspect that its because it was put together without putting silicone grease on the 0-ring(s) first so they bind instead of sliding in. Keep that in mind if you take it apart to clean it.

Easy answer for that in my experience. The 823 is not a pen meant to be taken apart at home, and in 2020 it's all the rage to have overly fussy pen hygiene.

Oh no, my demonstrator has a tiny bit of ink that I cant clean out! Better take it apart and put it back together, breaking it in the process.

I stood on my 823 by accident - full body weight- and no cracks.

I have two Custom 823s, a fine and a medium. They are both marvelous pens. Hope you enjoy yours.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Easy answer for that in my experience. The 823 is not a pen meant to be taken apart at home, and in 2020 it's all the rage to have overly fussy pen hygiene.

Oh no, my demonstrator has a tiny bit of ink that I cant clean out! Better take it apart and put it back together, breaking it in the process.

I stood on my 823 by accident - full body weight- and no cracks.

Completely agree with your comments. The 823 in particular is designed to be used with very infrequent “deep” cleanings and the supplied manual as well as the info pilot supplies supports this. I contacted Pilot asking about the disassembly etc and the notion that people frequently take apart the entire pen and add silicone grease. Pilot responded that the pen is simply not intended to be used that way. Just because pen parts have threading does not mean they are user serviceable parts.

The pilot 823 and lamy 2000 are two pens that I become more fond of each time I use them.

I actually do use my pens in school to write notes and assignments and my advice is: don’t be concerned with the price of the pen or what others may or may not think of you, just use it.

Congrats, you will love it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I actually do use my pens in school to write notes and assignments and my advice is: don’t be concerned with the price of the pen or what others may or may not think of you, just use it.

Good to know! I am more concerned with losing it, but then again what is a pen for if not to be used?

I have two Custom 823s, a fine and a medium. They are both marvelous pens. Hope you enjoy yours.

Congrats, you will love it!

I am looking forward to it. Tracking says Tuesday delivery. :D

137282908_ryx6p2exeth41.jpg

It arrived today! It's even purtier than I imagined it would be. I am about to crack open that new bottle of Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi ink that I have been saving for the occasion.

Question: I peeled off the warning sticker on the cap. How do I get all that sticker residue off without scratching or damaging anything?