The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Dry Ink And Dry Pen Combo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IndieNote

IndieNote

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:27

Hi!

What will happen if you use a dry ink with a dry pen? Is there a way to make this combo work efficiently and smoothly?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Content

#2 corniche

corniche

The situation is hopeless, but not serious.

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:38

What will happen if you use a dry ink with a dry pen?

You'll switch to gel pens. :rolleyes:

Hi IndieNote,

If you're stuck with cheap paper; you're better off using a dry ink like Pelikan or Lamy in a normal pen; e.g., a Pilot Explorer and go with a finer nib.

Sean :)
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

CatholicsComeHome

#3 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:39

I see at least 3 possible consequences:

1) No fun. It just won't flow well.  :(

2) Congrats! You just found the perfect combo for this definitely not ink friendly paper you always searched for!  :bunny01:  :thumbup:

3) --> 1) No fun! Not at all!!! Just desert dry scratchiness. Uff. :unsure:  +   :huh:  +   B)    Solution: Switch pen/ink or make pen (i.e. nib) wetter.  :D

Edited by JulieParadise, 14 February 2020 - 11:40.

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#4 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,913 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:28

A dry ink that is vivid and well lubricated can provide a satisfying experience even in a relatively dry pen.

I am thinking of Pelikan 4001 Violet, which I used for decades, in wet pens and dry ones.  It is considered a dry ink, but it doesn't feel dry when one writes with it, and it produces a legible line even in a Japanese extra fine nib.

A dry ink that is low in saturation can produce a depressingly dim line in a dry pen.  One that is low in lubrication can cause a nib to feel as if it were dragging across the page. 

#5 corniche

corniche

The situation is hopeless, but not serious.

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:50

A dry ink that is vivid and well lubricated can provide a satisfying experience even in a relatively dry pen.

I am thinking of Pelikan 4001 Violet, which I used for decades, in wet pens and dry ones.  It is considered a dry ink, but it doesn't feel dry when one writes with it, and it produces a legible line even in a Japanese extra fine nib.

A dry ink that is low in saturation can produce a depressingly dim line in a dry pen.  One that is low in lubrication can cause a nib to feel as if it were dragging across the page. 

👍

Pelikan Turquoise and Dark Green are both slow-flow inks that do not feel sandy/gritty, either.

Sean :)
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

CatholicsComeHome

#6 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 14:55

You will get a fast drying pen+ink combination.

Personally I don't fancy it when I can't see an ink glistening for quite a while on a piece of paper.

#7 Tseg

Tseg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 42 minutes ago

The worst is when one gets a dry pen and the perfect color ink is also dry... I recently got a Diplomat Excellence A2 Marrakesh (red/gold/brown) and the ideal ink color is Waterman Absolute Brown.  That ink has few reviews, but most suggesting it is average to above average wetness.  Not my experience. The pen just felt like nails on a chalkboard at all times with this ink, and a very thin/unsaturated, quick-drying result.  I threw in some Sailor green/brown ink I had (Rikyu-Cha) and it feels like a different pen completely... beautiful, smooth. wet, luscious writer.  

Sponsored Content

|