The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help With P51 Nib Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:55

I have a Parker 51 gold stub nib whose previous owner took a knife to the slit and opened it too far. Now the capillary action isn't consistent.  I have the nib off the pen and can get the tips somewhat together but the slit is still too wide at the middle of the nib.  Gentle pressure on the sides mid-length along the tubular nib isn't doing anything.  I thought I'd better stop and get some professional advice.

Thanks

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

Sponsored Content

#2 corniche

corniche

The situation is hopeless, but not serious.

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:25

Hi OCArt,

Have you tried to place the nib on it's back on a firm surface and then gently apply even, (use a hc book), downward pressure?

Sean :)
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

CatholicsComeHome

#3 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• 4,663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:45

I wasn't sure which direction to go in, whether to flatten or increase the curve of the tubular nib?

Hi OCArt,

Have you tried to place the nib on it's back on a firm surface and then gently apply even, (use a hc book), downward pressure?

----------------

#4 corniche

corniche

• 2,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 18:35

I wasn't sure which direction to go in, whether to flatten or increase the curve of the tubular nib?

Hi OCArt,

Yeah, well, if common sense counts for anything; increasing the curve would bring the tines together. My advice was geared more with a conventional nib in mind. :rolleyes:

I have the Dubeil book and the latest edition of the Oldfield book, let me check them and get back to you later... or maybe someone else will chime in the meantime.

Laying the nib on its SIDE and applying gentle, even downward pressure may be the ticket in case. :unsure:

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

CatholicsComeHome

#5 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• 4,663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 00:52

Thank you very much, corniche.  I appreciate your input.

Hi OCArt,

Yeah, well, if common sense counts for anything; increasing the curve would bring the tines together. My advice was geared more with a conventional nib in mind. :rolleyes:

I have the Dubeil book and the latest edition of the Oldfield book, let me check them and get back to you later... or maybe someone else will chime in the meantime.

Laying the nib on its SIDE and applying gentle, even downward pressure may be the ticket in case. :unsure:

----------------

#6 corniche

corniche

• 2,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:01

Thank you very much, corniche.  I appreciate your input.

Hi OCArt,

You're more than welcome. It's been a hectic day, but I plan to check the books tonight and see what I can find out. :)

CatholicsComeHome

#7 corniche

corniche

• 2,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:36

Hi OCArt,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I think your best bet is to use a pair of parallel pliers with cushioned jaws and very gently press the split tines closer together to reduce the flow.

CatholicsComeHome

Sponsored Content

|