The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Thanks to DocNib I just complete a John Hancock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:30

I was looking for this cap as this nice old BHR, an early cartridge filler (yes a cartdidge filler of 1920s).

Thanks to DocNib I got the part I was looking for smile.gif

Nice touch the profile on the clip.

The signature is present on the cap:)

The "famous" cartridge is shown on the top. The greenish color is ... copper oxide.
The cartridge itself is copper (very soft copper). It screws on the nipple of the top of the feed.
Exactly as the patent shows.

Filled it with ink. Screwed it back, and off we go. Do you like my "John Hancock" ? smile.gif

Edited by antoniosz, 07 July 2007 - 01:44.

Sponsored Content

#2 John54green

John54green

retired educator

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 00:16

Wow! That is a wonderful pen and piece of history too! I had never realized that copper was used. I wonder how it did with some of the earlier inks? Thanks for sharing Antonisz! John

#3 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,004 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 17:37

QUOTE(John54green @ Jul 3 2007, 08:16 PM) View Post
I had never realized that copper was used. I wonder how it did with some of the earlier inks?

I guess a cartridge is not meant to last for too long so it was not supposed be a (major) problem.
As you can see, there is green "rust" which is from the oxidation of copper which presumably was there from the time that the pen
was last used. I am reusing it now with the cartridge - so I will let you know smile.gif

#4 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 July 2007 - 17:57

Nice pen, it is wonderful that you have been able to bring it back to life!!

I met a fellow at a pen show once that claimed his name was John Hancock. He had apparently practiced the famous signature so much with a fountain pen that he could reproduce it perfectly.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#5 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,004 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 18:37

By the way. This is the patent for the cartridges: US1,671,125,
but more interestingly, this is the patent for the machine that made the cartridges US1,645,167.

#6 Gerry

Gerry

Lake Louise

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:26

If early cartridge fillers are of interest, here's another one...

http://www.fountainp...n...post&p=1226

Regards,

Gerry

#7 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• 3,798 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 18:20

Very Cool - glad to see it back in action.

Just this past week I saw the grave of John Hancock, and some of the other historical graves in Boston - along with an interesting walking tour of some of the history of that era. The guide did a good job of filling in some of the things left out of other history books - like the role of Flipp (beer, molasses, egg, and a good portion of rum, stirred up with a hot poker from the fire) in Paul Revere's famous ride. . .

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Sponsored Content

|