sansenri

Hi,

I have one steel nib, I really like.

A Böhler BB stub made in the 1930s:

attachicon.gif Boehler_56_BB_03.jpg

attachicon.gif Boehler_56_BB_01.jpg

Best

Jens

great! so nice, that looks acquainted with my Osmia!

Ah, but no wonder, the nib is Degussa! (the best in the world, according to Bo Bo, I need to give him credit)

Edited by sansenri

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• como

• Aysedasi

• N1003U

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Como,

yes the celluloid is still in good shape... the piston moves, just the cap doesn't have much grip anymore... so I leave this pen at home.

Here a photo of the full pen:

attachicon.gif Boehler_56_BB_02.jpg

Best

Jens

lovely pen! I share Como's desire to find a nib like this in this condition!

I'm not a big fan of steel nibs, but my Fine Pelikan 120 and Fine Leonardo Momento Zero nibs are particularly good, smooth, wet and springy. I have a Broad TWSBI in an AL580 that is a smooth, wet workhorse.

What I don't like in a steel nib is a high frequency reverberation in hand as it writes. I'm not sure it is considered "feedback", but just a different feel in hand than I get from my gold nibbed pens that seem more muted/luscious is this regard. With that said, it may just be psychosomatic snobbery.

yes, the nib on the 120 is obviously one from the M200 series, which I really like (I own an irrational number of M200s...), with a few exceptions of having found one or two (not all) the EF nibs slightly scratchy. The Leonardo steel nibs on the MZ have been nicely springy, I agree. I've read they've changed supply, which concerns me as if they lose their springiness that will be a step back as far as I'm concerned.

Knox OB and OBB #6 nibs. Absolutely superb.

ah, but how? describe. I've not ventured into Knox yet, although I have wanted to a few times.

I see you choose wide or very wide and oblique. What would you say is the superb aspect?

Vs Jowo and Bock how would you judge?

thanks!

A Montegrappa Fortuna B nib, reground to an architect grind. Used to be utter rubbish to write with, but after regrinding and getting a custom ebonite feed, its now a dream to use!

Thank you, but you're cheating! (disclose at least the name of the nibmeister, unless... it's a DIY job! in which case, congrats!)

hey, this is fun! but... I've just realized I answered many of your replies already in February...!

covid isolation must have been alienating me a bit... :blush:

well, never mind, I've probably repeated myself, but thank you so much for your replies, very interesting excursus into steel nibs, particularly when it comes to choosing something different from Bock and Jowo!

I've enjoyed writing with many steel nibs, but the WW2-era Montblanc stainless steel nibs, as someone else mentioned, are superb. I have a 334 1/2 in OBB that is just fantastic and rates as my favorite steel nib.

Thanks that is an area I need to explore more...

An excerpt from a letter I received from the Product Development Manager at Sheaffer Eaton Textron in 1982. I asked whether I would notice a difference between the steel and gold nib on the Targa is was about to purchase. I bought the stainless nib and have not regretted it.

"Dear Dr. Newman:

Our Customer Service Correspondent asked me to supply the technical information which you requested in your letter of June 25.

The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction.

The only functional differences which we can detect are: (l) The gold nib

is a little softer and more flexible , a feature which may cause the user t o

perceive a "smoother feel " and (2) the ink flow is a little freer. Identical

construction results in slightly "wetter" writing than with the stainless

steel nib."

Thank you

I do understand your answer, although smoothness (your previous answer) is a characteristic that is often widely achieved. Some pens are remarkably smooth and they stand out, but many are reasonably smooth (and not everybody likes remarkably smooth) and work well.

In general I don't agree with answers like the one your received from Sheaffer. I know it's subjective but I can usually perceive those two differences (l) The gold nib is a little softer and more flexible , a feature which may cause the user to perceive a "smoother feel " and (2) the ink flow is a little freer.

Both of these are rather important to me even when mildly perceivable.

In fact if you read though the thread (sorry for repeating myself with second answers...) you will note I am seeking some of that softness/slight flex even in steel nibs.

I enjoy my Rotring Renaissance stubs (M/OBB) as daily writers. The M-Nib even allows for a tiny bit of flex, but it may depend on which version you get. I was surprised to receive a medium nib without ball-tipping but stubbed without any info about it. I won’t complain though. Rather, I’m quite happy about it.

That F-Nib on my Pelikan M200 is also an absolute joy to use. Saturated line, smooth, the ink-feed has no problems catching up, I have encountered no hard starts yet and choice of paper is nothing to worry about. It’s basically the Toyota among fountain pens, if car analogies are allowed.

I use it with red ink for corrections, some notes in my bullet journal and it even - albeit being very scratchy - has no problems with reverse writing, so I get a rock-solid F and usable EF for some very small corrections on technical drawings that got printed downscale from A0 to A3.

ah thanks, that my same experience on M200s, generous flow, free flowing sensation, no hesitations, great reliability. I always take two on my business trips :)

I don't have a single favourite steel nib, among easily a dozen or more excellent and enjoyable (for different reasons and/or use case, perhaps) steel nibs I have out of over a hundred steel-nibbed pens in my fleet. Even if I did have one favourite, it would be because that particular instance of it writes somehow differently from others of the same make, model and (nominal) nib width grade or type. One of my Pelikan M200 F nibs is delightful to me and stand above others of the same specification precisely because it is different from its siblings. One of my steel-Medium-nibbed Rotring Initial fountain pens write better than two others who are supposed to be identical to it except for barrel colour. Discussing my favourite nib, if there was one, as a particular instance of a class or subclass of objects does not mean anyone else can get the same by ordering a new one of the same description; if I was to order another pen of that make and model myself, chances are the new pen would not have a nib that is equally as good.

If the intent is to discuss categorically good steel nibs by make and model, as if there would be negligible variation between individual units, so that someone else could try to procure one that replicates the quality and/or experience of what is described, I'd probably start with:

• Platinum #3776 steel F nib on the PTB-500B, if one enjoys Platinum #3776 14K gold F nibs — such as on the Bourgogne, Black Diamond, and kanazawa-haku models — due the characteristics (such as stiffness and kinaesthetic feedback) of "typical" Platinum nibs
  • Sailor 1911 steel F nibs on the Procolor product line of pens, if one enjoys using the 14K gold F nibs on the Sailor Profit Standard and Professional Gear Slim pens due the characteristics of "typical" medium-sized (in the manufacturer's nomenclature) Sailor nibs

precisely those brands are quite consistent in its manufacture and quality of products of the same design, even though there is a marked price difference on account of the materials used.

I also happen to really enjoy using Daiso-Hauser fountain pens on account of their nibs, in spite of the pens (and even the nibs) because cheaply constructed and the shortcomings show at every turn. Even so, I wouldn't say any particular unit of those is (or has been fitted with) my "favourite steel nib" on a fountain pen.

thank you ASD, your answers are always very detailed.

Clearly there are variations between even one nib and the next of the same brand and even of the same size. I own several M200s and several nibs that are supposedly the same and there is always a slight difference nib to nib. That difference, with exception of the odd faulty nib (fortunately very few) is still very small vs another nib from another brand even of the same size.

My intent is explorative.

I own quite a number of pens with Jowo or Bock steel nibs, they are nice nibs, tend to be usually stiff, and behave somewhat similarly.

I assume that pens using different steel nibs might behave differently, which is interesting to know.

I ask for your favourite nib because I'm interested in what's favourite for you. Perhaps there is something I don't know about a particular nib, perhaps it would be interesting to find out, perhaps I may like such a nib too (or not, but even if I don't it will have been valuable to understand why, for which reasons that nib is a favourite for someone else.).

So both approaches are valuable to me.

Whether you like to discuss categorically good steel nibs by make and model (so that I could possibly trace a similar nib if I like what you describe), or even if you have a single nib that stands out and why vs an identical nib of same brand, still very interesting info.

So, thanks, for the comments above.

I ask for your favourite nib because I'm interested in what's favourite for you. _...‹snip›... valuable to understand why, for which reasons that nib is a favourite for someone else. _...‹snip›... possibly trace a similar nib if I like what you describe), or even if you have a single nib that stands out and why vs an identical nib of same brand, still very interesting info.

• The edges of the ink marks the nib puts down have to be relatively crisp, irrespective of the line width (and whether I'm varying the amount of downward pressure applied). Whether this crispness comes at a cost of having a narrow 'sweet spot', such that the nib will scratch or 'complain' if I inadvertently rotate the nib's orientation or angle to the paper, doesn't bother me; I favour precision, so if a nib is precise, then it has 'earned the right' to balk when the level of (im)precision in my technique is the flaw.
  • The nib has to be capable of putting down relatively sharp 'tails' for the descenders in my minuscule 'g', 'j', etc. and cross-strokes for my minuscule 't', as well as the piě and wān strokes in Chinese kaishu writing. (Bonus points for making triangular shapes for the strokes.)

The combination of those two characteristics above require the geometry of the nib tipping to not be round, but are effectively Stub nibs, even at Extra Fine nib width, preferably already so as supplied without my having to regrind it. It's easier for a stiff nib to be precise, although a steel nib that is capable of elastic deformation (or being 'springy') under moderate to heavy pressure is not inherently excluded. (In contrast, a 'nail' of a nib — to me — would be something that, if you put enough pressure to cause its tines to spread and put down a wider line, it won't return or 'bounce' back to the original shape and width.)

• The nib writes smoothly (as opposed to scratchily) when reverse-writing, i.e. with the nib slit facing down towards the page, to deliver a noticeably different line width and/or style, without causing ink starvation for the duration or travel distance of at least, say, an A5 page's worth of writing. That, to me, is versatility or at least enhanced capability.

Those would be my basic requirements for 'a seat at the table' of my favourite nibs. Any nib made of decent not made of inferior material prone to 'springing' or inelastic deformation could be reground to deliver the desired outcome; the question is then whether they are already that way out-of-the-box or as supplied.

Also,

My handwriting style (in different languages) generally requires horizontal or cross-strokes to be narrower than vertical strokes, both for Chinese kaishu writing but also how I like my letters in the Latin alphabet to look. That means 'architect', Goccia, or purportedly 'Chinese' writing grinds are negatives. 'Perfectly' round tipping is tolerable only when the contact surface is narrow; and then a nib with such probably won't ever make it to my list of favourites.

Bonus points for being able to deliver different font sizes, weights or typefaces competently. (See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351259-what-pens-are-you-using-today-2020/?p=4361437 and look at the lines that read, "Amazingly few discotheques provide jukeboxes." and "Glib jocks quiz nymph to vex dwarf." for examples.) While some of my fellow hobbyists seem to seek or crave 'line variation' without mindfulness or deliberate and strict control of handwriting technique, I want to be able to produce different line widths with a nib by using nothing less than an onerous level of concentration on my part; expressiveness, to me, is in understanding the exact shapes I want to produce and having the technique and focus to produce them with the tools I have on hand.

The above makes up the 'why' a steel nib could rank among my favourites.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Steel nibs that I have and love or like...

Pelikan M200 F

- That thing has made me haul out that pen out of storage just to ink it up for some writing. Nuff said, I love it. It is in storage now though as I am trying to cut down the number of pens that are inked at the same time.

rOtring Art Pen italic nibs (1.1, 1.5 & 1.9)

- Awesome, not too thick a material so they have just a tad of softness. Because they are cheap I do not worry about tuning them to my liking. The 1.1 mm italic nib is an awesome everyday writer, one of my favourites.

rOtring 600 EF & B

- Those nibs are stiff as heck but the EF are both precise and smooth and the B are some of the smoothest nibs I have ever used (like glassy smooth). Dont use them though as the pen is too heavy and built to fail (the plastic inner cap that acts as a captive clutch for the end of the section wears down and can split with repeated use).

JoWo #6 1.1 mm italic

- The pen that had one of their 1.1 mm italic nibs was a dream to write with right out of the box. Juicy and smooth as heck. I later on tuned it up to be more sharp/crisp while still smooth and let my mother try it while I was visiting her. She fell in love with it so I decided to give the pen to her knowing that it will get plenty of exercise and a loving home there.

• The edges of the ink marks the nib puts down have to be relatively crisp, irrespective of the line width (and whether I'm varying the amount of downward pressure applied). Whether this crispness comes at a cost of having a narrow 'sweet spot', such that the nib will scratch or 'complain' if I inadvertently rotate the nib's orientation or angle to the paper, doesn't bother me; I favour precision, so if a nib is precise, then it has 'earned the right' to balk when the level of (im)precision in my technique is the flaw.
  • The nib has to be capable of putting down relatively sharp 'tails' for the descenders in my minuscule 'g', 'j', etc. and cross-strokes for my minuscule 't', as well as the piě and wān strokes in Chinese kaishu writing. (Bonus points for making triangular shapes for the strokes.)

The combination of those two characteristics above require the geometry of the nib tipping to not be round, but are effectively Stub nibs, even at Extra Fine nib width, preferably already so as supplied without my having to regrind it. It's easier for a stiff nib to be precise, although a steel nib that is capable of elastic deformation (or being 'springy') under moderate to heavy pressure is not inherently excluded. (In contrast, a 'nail' of a nib — to me — would be something that, if you put enough pressure to cause its tines to spread and put down a wider line, it won't return or 'bounce' back to the original shape and width.)

• The nib writes smoothly (as opposed to scratchily) when reverse-writing, i.e. with the nib slit facing down towards the page, to deliver a noticeably different line width and/or style, without causing ink starvation for the duration or travel distance of at least, say, an A5 page's worth of writing. That, to me, is versatility or at least enhanced capability.

Those would be my basic requirements for 'a seat at the table' of my favourite nibs. Any nib made of decent not made of inferior material prone to 'springing' or inelastic deformation could be reground to deliver the desired outcome; the question is then whether they are already that way out-of-the-box or as supplied.

Also,

My handwriting style (in different languages) generally requires horizontal or cross-strokes to be narrower than vertical strokes, both for Chinese kaishu writing but also how I like my letters in the Latin alphabet to look. That means 'architect', Goccia, or purportedly 'Chinese' writing grinds are negatives. 'Perfectly' round tipping is tolerable only when the contact surface is narrow; and then a nib with such probably won't ever make it to my list of favourites.

Bonus points for being able to deliver different font sizes, weights or typefaces competently. (See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/351259-what-pens-are-you-using-today-2020/?p=4361437 and look at the lines that read, "Amazingly few discotheques provide jukeboxes." and "Glib jocks quiz nymph to vex dwarf." for examples.) While some of my fellow hobbyists seem to seek or crave 'line variation' without mindfulness or deliberate and strict control of handwriting technique, I want to be able to produce different line widths with a nib by using nothing less than an onerous level of concentration on my part; expressiveness, to me, is in understanding the exact shapes I want to produce and having the technique and focus to produce them with the tools I have on hand.

The above makes up the 'why' a steel nib could rank among my favourites.

thank you ASD you have very specific reasons, which are interesting to know

Steel nibs that I have and love or like...

Pelikan M200 F

- That thing has made me haul out that pen out of storage just to ink it up for some writing. Nuff said, I love it. It is in storage now though as I am trying to cut down the number of pens that are inked at the same time.

rOtring Art Pen italic nibs (1.1, 1.5 & 1.9)

- Awesome, not too thick a material so they have just a tad of softness. Because they are cheap I do not worry about tuning them to my liking. The 1.1 mm italic nib is an awesome everyday writer, one of my favourites.

rOtring 600 EF & B

- Those nibs are stiff as heck but the EF are both precise and smooth and the B are some of the smoothest nibs I have ever used (like glassy smooth). Dont use them though as the pen is too heavy and built to fail (the plastic inner cap that acts as a captive clutch for the end of the section wears down and can split with repeated use).

JoWo #6 1.1 mm italic

- The pen that had one of their 1.1 mm italic nibs was a dream to write with right out of the box. Juicy and smooth as heck. I later on tuned it up to be more sharp/crisp while still smooth and let my mother try it while I was visiting her. She fell in love with it so I decided to give the pen to her knowing that it will get plenty of exercise and a loving home there.

thank you mana, the m200 nibs are always a joy for me, whichever widths I choose.

I own one of the Art Pens, nice but not miraculous for me (needs patience), I've seldom used it, but then again I'm not that fond of stubs

I like the steel nibs in my Faber Castell Looms.

Best nibs you can get for under £50 in my opinion.

what do you like especially? the steel nib on my Ondoro surprises me for its smoothness!

what do you like especially? the steel nib on my Ondoro surprises me for its smoothness!

It is smooth and gives a nice wet line. In addition the big cap prevents it from drying it out - making an ideal EDC.

I have medium and a broad. I use the broad for glittery ink as it lays down a nice thick line, which you need to make the most of those types of inks - and it is so easy to clean.

you're right smooth and wet, I like that too on particular occasions, especially at work when I'm preparing concept schemes that need to be bold and evident as reminders for my projects

• 2 weeks later...

I have no steel nibs that I use regularly and was curious, so that, a few months ago, I bought a vintage Pelikan 100 from the ever-obliging Pomperopero which pen has a magnificent steel fine. I really like it: it keeps my gold-nibbed 100 company...the steel one has plentiful flex, when I ask for it -- perhaps not as easily as with the gold nib; but certainly present and correct.