Your Favourite Steel Nib

sansenri

Faber Castell steel nibs are FANTASTIC!

I've also been impressed by the nibs on Sheaffer School Pens and from Lamy Safaris, (ironically enough, I've never owned a Safari that liked me very much...)

And the default Indian nib on the ASA pens are nice writers as well.

Thank you, I experience that too, the steel nib on my Ondoro is amazingly smooth

Sheaffer No nonsense? I think you're right, stiff nibs, but very nice performers, I have a couple of No nonsense.

Not amazing but at the price point of these pens, remarkable.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• como

• corgicoupe

• MuddyWaters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

M200 not just smooth, as I was saying, you can find other very smooth steel nibs, Faber Castell for one, it's the springiness that shocks me!

I just love them. Was using a bouncy B today at work.

But in an EF? Granted, it's a fat EF, but still....

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Thank you all, I was away on business for a few days and when I got back found all your answers.

I hope you will not mind me flooding the thread with individual answers all at once... :)

Very interesting, thanks!

No one mentioned the Lamy nibs.

Although I don't really like the Safari (I find the section uncomfortable) I have to admit those nibs are very very nice writers.

Oh, and another just came to my mind, the steel nib on the Reform pens like the P125, very similar in behavior to the Pelikan M200 nibs.

But in an EF? Granted, it's a fat EF, but still....

I did say in fact, the Pelikan M200 EF is a tad scratchy often (not always, it's a bit of a lucky draw), but it's springy!

Not easy to find springy steel nibs, much easier finding steel smooth nibs, which makes it less of an achievement, except if the smoothness is remarkable (Faber Castell, Lamy, for example).

Even though modern Pelikan design is not my cup of tea, I must say that they are good writers. Even the school pens write very well, at least from my experience. I will have to try the M200 steel nib. It seems very good for the value. Thank you, sansenri.

Try the m200 pen & nib when you have a chance :) , it's the Pelikan entry level but the nib is surprising (and the pen is a workhorse, a great pocket pen).

I almost forgot: I did have a Lamy Accent with an F steel nib long time ago. Absolute nail! I do not miss it :-)

No one mentioned the Lamy nibs.

Thank you, very interesting.

Would be nice to try some Soenneken...

I'm curious about the Geha too, could you describe what's nice about it?

Honestly, I think my Soenneken are overpriced for what they are (school pens). But worth noting that I find little difference in the size of my S4 compared to the S6. Very different from my 2 Osmia pens (gold nibs) - the 664 is on the large size, whereas the 661 is tiny. (The Osmia, BTW, have amazing soft gold nibs - if you can find any for a good price I would grab them.)

The Geha - I have one with a gold nib and one with steel. The steel one has nice spring, and even a little bit of flex. Similar to a vintage Pelikan steel nib I own, from a 400N I believe. It's just a pleasant pen to write with.

Even though modern Pelikan design is not my cup of tea, I must say that they are good writers. Even the school pens write very well, at least from my experience. I will have to try the M200 steel nib. It seems very good for the value. Thank you, sansenri.

I almost forgot: I did have a Lamy Accent with an F steel nib long time ago. Absolute nail! I do not miss it :-)

true, Lamy's are nails, but good writers, remarkably smooth.

The Jowo in my Newton custom pen.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have several Opus 88 pens in both #5 #6 size steel nibs. They write smoothly and are reliable. I prefer them to my steel Jowo nib pens. For all I know Jowo makes them :lticaptd: but either way I’m very impressed.

“I shall stay the way I am because I do not give a damn.” - Dorothy Parker

Every Diplomat steel nib I have tried has been excellent.

Franklin Cristoph nibs are great in general because they are tested, but they also have some interesting options, like their SIG and music nibs. I also have a couple of needlepoints from them that are superb.

I've enjoyed writing with many steel nibs, but the WW2-era Montblanc stainless steel nibs, as someone else mentioned, are superb. I have a 334 1/2 in OBB that is just fantastic and rates as my favorite steel nib.

This. Regalia Crossflex, originally a Jowo #6. Excellent EDC unflexed. Flex range 0.25 - 2.2 mm.

fpn_1581949586__ranga-2.jpg

Edited by cunim

second vote... must put this under the radar... but I suspect it will not be an easy find

I'll give it a third vote. Even my old 2668 is a very smooth writer. Check with Gary Weimer onthis forume; he may have a 9668 attached to a restored Esterbrook pen.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

An excerpt from a letter I received from the Product Development Manager at Sheaffer Eaton Textron in 1982. I asked whether I would notice a difference between the steel and gold nib on the Targa is was about to purchase. I bought the stainless nib and have not regretted it.

"Dear Dr. Newman:
Our Customer Service Correspondent asked me to supply the technical information which you requested in your letter of June 25.
The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction.
The only functional differences which we can detect are: (l) The gold nib
is a little softer and more flexible , a feature which may cause the user t o
perceive a "smoother feel " and (2) the ink flow is a little freer. Identical
construction results in slightly "wetter" writing than with the stainless
steel nib."

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

The Jowo in my Newton custom pen.

Me, too.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Thank you Tseg, those first two I feel the same about.

TWSBI, I tend not to like the pens so much, very sharp threads bother my fingers...

Your comment on reverberation is interesting, I don't consider it snobbery, some people are more sensitive than others (I for one have an idiosyncrasy for step downs in pens... :) )

… About the TWSBI... 580AL... I am averse to metal sections, so not a big fan of the 580AL. It was one of my first acquisitions and originally I had a Medium nib with a low-flow feed that dried up after a page. After I attempted to "fix" it, I bought the Broad nib, which really delivers (albeit, with limited character) and is very smooth. Ultimately the pen sees limited action. I too do not like step downs in a big way.

I enjoy my Rotring Renaissance stubs (M/OBB) as daily writers. The M-Nib even allows for a tiny bit of flex, but it may depend on which version you get. I was surprised to receive a medium nib without ball-tipping but stubbed without any info about it. I won’t complain though. Rather, I’m quite happy about it.

That F-Nib on my Pelikan M200 is also an absolute joy to use. Saturated line, smooth, the ink-feed has no problems catching up, I have encountered no hard starts yet and choice of paper is nothing to worry about. It’s basically the Toyota among fountain pens, if car analogies are allowed.

I use it with red ink for corrections, some notes in my bullet journal and it even - albeit being very scratchy - has no problems with reverse writing, so I get a rock-solid F and usable EF for some very small corrections on technical drawings that got printed downscale from A0 to A3.