The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Your Favourite Steel Nib

steel nib

64 replies to this topic

#21 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:31

Haha, I often thought about the same too!

...With that said, it may just be psychosomatic snobbery.

Thank you for sharing. The Guilloche pattern is also really nice. I still carry vintage pens around but I usually put them in a tighter pen pouch so they dont get knocked around and come loose. Enjoy your beautiful pen!

Thanks, Como,

yes the celluloid is still in good shape... the piston moves, just the cap doesn't have much grip anymore... so I leave this pen at home.

Here a photo of the full pen:

attachicon.gif Boehler_56_BB_02.jpg

Best
Jens

Sponsored Content

#22 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:06

Knox OB and OBB #6 nibs.  Absolutely superb.  

#23 TassoBarbasso

TassoBarbasso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:09

A Montegrappa Fortuna B nib, reground to an architect grind. Used to be utter rubbish to write with, but after regrinding and getting a custom ebonite feed, its now a dream to use!

#24 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 16:43

Faber Castell steel nibs are FANTASTIC!

I've also been impressed by the nibs on Sheaffer School Pens and from Lamy Safaris, (ironically enough, I've never owned a Safari that liked me very much...)

And the default Indian nib on the ASA pens are nice writers as well.

#25 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:01

I have in my pocket, an Esterbrook Visumaster with a 9668 nib that is the best writer I've encountered.  Better than any major brand, modern or vintage.  Its so sweet its almost sinful.  No, I'm not making this up.  Another one is a 9461 (my favorite Esterbrook nib) that's running a close second.

Thanks Ron for the insight.

I believe you. Again, a bit like with gold, regretfully I fear some of the vintage steel nibs may be better than modern...

I have an Osmia nib on an Osmia 61 BL, and the nib is incredibly flex! and smooth, despite it looks ugly...

fpn_1581699506__62-3_osmia_nib_on_a_61_b

I was not particularly requiring for flex as a characteristic to indicate a favourite steel nib, but this one just is...

#26 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:05

M205 F CI. Because semi-flex. I have 2 Bock steel CI nibs but no longer use them. Because semi-nail. I'd like to try a WWII MB 136.

I've come to prefer much softer nibs, given the choice.

Thanks Karmachanic, I haven't been able to find one of those around... very curious!

Such a pity Pelikan has discontinued the special nibs on the M200...

#27 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:09

In my current collection these are my favorite steel nibs:

Pelikan 200/205: EF/F/M/B

Esterbrook: 9668

MB 234 1/2: BB

MB 332: B

Thanks Carlos, but why?

I'm curious to know what is special about them.

I own several M200/205 nibs and I think I know what it's about (actually I also know some people who dislike M200 nibs, oh well, diversity is the spice of life).

I only own one Esterbrook... and I know I'm missing out...

MB steel nibs? that really makes me curious, I know nothing about them!

#28 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:12

Another vote for Pelikan 200 - I was shocked a steel nib could be so smooth.

I also am finding I am quite partial to the Esterbrook 9556 that I was lucky enough to win. 

Platinum F and M nibs, while not in the same class as the two mentioned above, are the best I've found at lower price points, but I wouldn't call them my favorites overall.

M200 not just smooth, as I was saying, you can find other very smooth steel nibs, Faber Castell for one, it's the springiness that shocks me!
I just love them. Was using a bouncy B today at work.

#29 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:15

The very inexpensive wing sung EF nib on the 6359 is absolutely great. I also enjoy the Kanwrite flex nib now (Ahab nib) and the delike upturned nib. Never tried the m 200.

hmm... I have a 3008, don't really like EF nibs (so my judgment is unreliable) but I swapped the F nib on it with a Lamy B.

Now another world (for me that is).

#30 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:42

I don't have many steel nibs, and they are modern, from Bock and Jowo. The Stub 1.5mm (friction fit, Bock, I think) on Leonard Furore has tiny bit softness to it. The Jowo #6 nibs on Franklin Christoph, John Twiss are well tuned, smooth but stiff. The steel Jowo 6 nib with Masuyama ground CI is very nice, crisp but not scratchy, very precise. John Sorowka also tuned a Jowo 6 which is excellent. Jowo 6 tend to be good out of box, at least from my experience. I don't have enough Bock steels to comment. Vintage pens sometimes have nice steel nibs with some flex but I still prefer the gold nibs on vintage. I prefer steel the least, in general, due to their stiffness. sansenri, it's good to know that Pelikan's steel nibs are good. I don't have any but I am curious now. Thank you.

I use Bock and Jowo steel nibs regularly (almost all my Rangas have either Bock or Jowo) both are smooth, but that is about it.

You're right, Leonardo steel nibs are nicely springy, I experience that too.
Try the m200 pen & nib when you have a chance :) , it's the Pelikan entry level but the nib is surprising (and the pen is a workhorse, a great pocket pen).

#31 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:52

The most enjoyable steel nib that I own currently might be a Degussa OBB given me by Thomas, mounted on a Mercedes Piston pen.

Steel nibs have been workhorses for me during my student life. One English Parker 45, the nib of which I managed to wear down to a flat foot by sheer use and a Sheaffer 444 which did not wear at all but the section shell developed cracks. Both pens will still write well for me but have earned their retirement. 

Among the present crop of Bock/JoWo/Schmidt generic nib units, I like Schmidt and Bock very much.

M200s are very good and regularly find place as replacements for the nibs in my eyedropper pens. My only complaint is that the nibs run narrow. I have some M200 nibs marked BB which write a Mish line.

ah, that sounds very interesting, Hari! BoBo here always says that Degussa made the best ever nibs... :)

Surprising you find M200 nibs narrow... (Bobo again... :)  says that the M200 width were "regular"... Pelikan overdid the size on the new gold nibs...)

Ah, but I know that BB in general tends too be to fine for you... :D

Edited by sansenri, 14 February 2020 - 17:52.

#32 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:55

I do like the FC Music nib (1.9 stub) as well as the Stipula steel stub (1.1)

Thanks Ruben, the 1.9 is certainly too broad for me, I agree with you on the Stipula 1.1, I have several of these and like them.

#33 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:31

I have yet to meet an unmodified Pelikan steel nib I dislike.

That said, I prefer EF/F soft flexible or at least soft nib these days. And I detest scratchy nibs.

My favorites are a Soenneken S4 and an S6 I own.

I also really like my:

-Parker 51

-a 1940s Sheaffer Triumph nib

-a Geha Schullfuller

-modified Noodler’s flex nibs

-FPR ultra-flex nib

-Pilot Elite 95S

I like (but don’t love) my:

-Osmiroid italic nibs

-Cross

-Inoxcrom

-UHU Primus

Am only “meh” about:

-Most of my Esterbrook and some of my Osmiroid nibs

-BRAUSE Iserlohn 3030 piston-filler

And I detest:

-Wearever “Flex” nib. One of the most vile writing experiences I’ve had.

This exercise made me pause (briefly) because 90+% of the pens I buy now have gold nibs. I have to stop acquiring…

Thank you, very interesting.

Would be nice to try some Soenneken...

I'm curious about the Geha too, could you describe what's nice about it?

#34 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:38

Rotring 600 F

Thanks, but why?

The question I raised is not limited to the which, the why is the important part.

I'm curious and actually might search some of these out and check the why myself, but at least it's useful to know if the reason would sound inspiring to me (the testing range would be too wide otherwise... :) )

#35 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:40

Hi,

I have one steel nib, I really like.

A Böhler BB stub made in the 1930s:

attachicon.gif Boehler_56_BB_03.jpg

attachicon.gif Boehler_56_BB_01.jpg

Best

Jens

oh, great! the why is very clear here! incredible steel nib, thanks for sharing.

#36 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:42

My Esterbrook 9668 is also a fantastic writer. Hands down my favorite steel nib.

second vote... must put this under the radar... but I suspect it will not be an easy find

#37 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:44

Rotring’s italic nibs.

Thanks, I suppose it's the italic grind that you appreciate?

#38 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:50

I'm not a big fan of steel nibs, but my Fine Pelikan 120 and Fine Leonardo Momento Zero nibs are particularly good, smooth, wet and springy.  I have a Broad TWSBI in an AL580 that is a smooth, wet workhorse.

What I don't like in a steel nib is a high frequency reverberation in hand as it writes.  I'm not sure it is considered "feedback", but just a different feel in hand than I get from my gold nibbed pens that seem more muted/luscious is this regard.  With that said, it may just be psychosomatic snobbery.

Thank you Tseg, those first two I feel the same about.

TWSBI, I tend not to like the pens so much, very sharp threads bother my fingers...

Your comment on reverberation is interesting, I don't consider it snobbery, some people are more sensitive than others (I for one have an idiosyncrasy for step downs in pens...  :) )

#39 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:55

Knox OB and OBB #6 nibs.  Absolutely superb.  

Thank you, I've heard good comments on Knox but have not yet bought one, although having gone close a few times.

They are interchangeable with #6 Bock/Jowo, if I recall. Will they take the same feed?

I need to try one of these in one of my Ranga...

What do you find superb in them in particular? thanks!

#40 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:59

A Montegrappa Fortuna B nib, reground to an architect grind. Used to be utter rubbish to write with, but after regrinding and getting a custom ebonite feed, its now a dream to use!

ah, well... that's cheating :D

seriously though (are you in Italy? the name would suggest) where did you entrust the regrinding?...

I need a reference without having to send nibs off to the other side of the ocean...thank you!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steel, nib

Sponsored Content

|