Lamy Al Star Turmaline

mge01park

Usually LE pens don't come with LE ink cartridges inside. My Petrol Safari came with a standard blue cartridge, for example. I'd expect a Lamy Blue ink with Turmaline Al-Stars. Some LE pens come bundled as a set with LE ink cartridges, but those are clearly visible in the product packaging before you buy.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• 85AKbN

• Astronymus

• bogiesan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the Lamy cartridge that comes with the Turmaline Al-Star Turmaline ink? I don't think it is - just checking lol.

Mine came with a standard Lamy Blue ink but I bought a 5 pack f Turmaline cartridges with it

Mine came with a standard Lamy Blue ink but I bought a 5 pack f Turmaline cartridges with it

My mystery is solved - thanks.

Is the Lamy cartridge that comes with the Turmaline Al-Star Turmaline ink? I don't think it is - just checking lol.

I've only ever received a standard blue cartridge with any of my Lamy Pens. The listing at Goulet: "This fountain pen comes with a blue LAMY ink cartridge so you can get started writing right away."

While last year's bronze special edition ink is still widely available, if you lust after the turmaline ink, suggest you act quickly.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Just got my Turmaline Al-Star and it is GORGEOUS. I am in love with this color. I bought it to gift to my daughter when she is a bit older, but I inked it up and started using it (don't judge me, I had to make sure the nib wrote properly!). I might have to buy a second one to give her since it looks like I'll be keeping this one for myself.

Sadly, the tines on mine were misaligned and it was very scratchy, but I took the nib off and got it sorted out. Writes fine now.

• 2 weeks later...

Turmaline is a very nice colored pen. Currently inked with Diamine Kelly Green. Also just received an Al-Star Pacific from across the pond (penheaven.co.uk) and side by side, I like the Turmaline better.

My comparison of Lamy Turmaline ink compared to Lamy Turquoise:

https://imgur.com/fpngallery/LwL9Wkq

Looks right :) The two are really very different. Turmaline sheens extremely easily. On Tomoe River sheen can be overwhelming, depending on pen. Made me think of the new Diamine sheening inks, like November Rain, Maureen, Robert, etc.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Looks right :) The two are really very different. Turmaline sheens extremely easily. On Tomoe River sheen can be overwhelming, depending on pen. Made me think of the new Diamine sheening inks, like November Rain, Maureen, Robert, etc.

Ooh! I havent seen any sheen yet, time to try a wetter nib!

Instagram @inkysloth

If you are using Rhodia, it's not very good for sheen. Try Clairefontaine or Tomoe River, or even Fabriano, or some other Japanese paper.

I just got my hands on one and even though I had my doubts, I have to say that the color is not too similar to that of the Al Star pacific blue. I like the color more than the pacific blue because of its greenish blue color as opposed to a light blue. Even though I am a fan of the color, I'd like to see Lamy change it up and ,make something like a dark green al star or a bright yellow one, just a thought.

The ink on the other hand is very similar to the Crystal Amazonite which pairs well with the pen.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Al-star turmaline as a back-up in case I ever lost my beloved Al-star Pacific. Now that it has arrived I can say they truly are very similar, with the turmaline just a touch greener and a touch brighter.

The upper one is the Turmaline. It's slightly greener and lighter in color. ;)

Then you must have strange lighting. Because if I lay mine side by side in daylight they look like yours and the upper one is the Turmaline.

Turmaline is the darker color and more green than Pacific. It's also more saturated than Pacific.

Edited by Intensity

I took a color theory course a couple of years ago. In one preparatory exercise the professor would place 20 "chips" in two similar hues at 10 different saturation levels in a pile. We had to sort them out by hue and value. If we got one wrong she'd smack us (with her contempt).

This class definitely makes it easy for me to see the difference between Pacific Blue and Turmaline! I do prefer the more subtle bluer Pacific.