The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan Vs Sailor In Terms Of Wetness

wetness sailor pelikan nib feed japanese western

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 18:57

To all those who own (tried) both pens, i would like to ask why are western nibs (pelikans specifically) are know to be wetter than the Japanese nibs (considering same nib width on paper and not marking) . Is it because of the feed/nib material or the engineering of the feed/nib ?

Sponsored Content

#2 BlueJ

BlueJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 16:51

To the extent that this difference exists (and exceptions can certainly be found) I would say it depends on the details of the nib and feed design and not on material composition, which is mostly the same. Conversely, Japanese inks tend to be wetter, so if you pair pens with inks from the same country the difference may largely disappear.

#3 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:22

Definitely due to engineering and not material. The material is likely the same or very similar (steel/gold nib, plastic feed; the only question would be which plastic, but I'm certain pen companies use pretty much the same type across the board with some exceptions).

#4 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:33

i do agree with you! i am curious to know if one puts a sailor feed on a pelikan nib or the opposite way around, will the nibs perform as they would on their original feeds ( in other words i want to narrow downs if its due to the nib or feed ) 

To the extent that this difference exists (and exceptions can certainly be found) I would say it depends on the details of the nib and feed design and not on material composition, which is mostly the same. Conversely, Japanese inks tend to be wetter, so if you pair pens with inks from the same country the difference may largely disappear.

#5 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 17:34

that is true ! it seems like modern pelikans do not use ebonite feeds, but im amazed how they get such a wet flow using plastic feeds whereas Japanese pens use the same material and get drier nibs 

Definitely due to engineering and not material. The material is likely the same or very similar (steel/gold nib, plastic feed; the only question would be which plastic, but I'm certain pen companies use pretty much the same type across the board with some exceptions).

#6 BlueJ

BlueJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 19:08

i do agree with you! i am curious to know if one puts a sailor feed on a pelikan nib or the opposite way around, will the nibs perform as they would on their original feeds ( in other words i want to narrow downs if its due to the nib or feed ) 

It would be difficult to say how much of the difference in flow is due to the nib versus the feed design. A Pelikan nib (for example) might not even be compatible with a Sailor feed since both parts need to be shaped to ensure a close fit that maintains capillary action. So, the suggested experiment (such as exchanging nibs between the two brands) might not lead to meaningful conclusions.

The nib tines on the two Sailors I own were initially very tightly closed at the tip and the nibs were very dry until they were broken in (1911 Standard H-F) or professionally adjusted (Realo H-M). Some other users have reported different experiences. I will say my Sailor feeds behave differently from most American or European feeds I have used in two ways: They fill through the "breather" holes rather than from the base of the feed, and they write absolutely normally to the last drop of ink in the pen, instead of becoming dry and skippy for the last paragraph or so.

#7 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 20:38

when your sailor was professionally adjusted, how wet did it run ? was it similar to pelikan wetness? the filling mechanism  and writing till the last drop that you explained, did you mean it for the Japanese pens or the European ones ? 

It would be difficult to say how much of the difference in flow is due to the nib versus the feed design. A Pelikan nib (for example) might not even be compatible with a Sailor feed since both parts need to be shaped to ensure a close fit that maintains capillary action. So, the suggested experiment (such as exchanging nibs between the two brands) might not lead to meaningful conclusions.

The nib tines on the two Sailors I own were initially very tightly closed at the tip and the nibs were very dry until they were broken in (1911 Standard H-F) or professionally adjusted (Realo H-M). Some other users have reported different experiences. I will say my Sailor feeds behave differently from most American or European feeds I have used in two ways: They fill through the "breather" holes rather than from the base of the feed, and they write absolutely normally to the last drop of ink in the pen, instead of becoming dry and skippy for the last paragraph or so.

#8 BlueJ

BlueJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 22:41

The "good to the last drop" and breather hole comments were with regard to Sailor.

The flow in the Sailor Realo after a nibmeister (Dan Smith) adjusted it for me was roughly similar to a stock Pelikan M200 I used to own, and to a couple of other Pelikans I have now. Of course these things are hard to quantify, and furthermore the wetness of the adjusted Sailor reflects how I asked Dan to tune it, so your or anyone's results may differ.

#9 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 22:46

The "good to the last drop" and breather hole comments were with regard to Sailor.

The flow in the Sailor Realo after a nibmeister (Dan Smith) adjusted it for me was roughly similar to a stock Pelikan M200 I used to own, and to a couple of other Pelikans I have now. Of course these things are hard to quantify, and furthermore the wetness of the adjusted Sailor reflects how I asked Dan to tune it, so your or anyone's results may differ.

yes you are absolutely true! i feel like they write to the last drop, and regarding the tuning, your also right since every nib meister is different 

#10 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,608 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 21:59

Pelikan makes a dry ink, the 4001*, so makes a wet nib to meet in the middle. Waterman makes a wet ink....or was once considered wet ..... Some Noodler users consider Waterman a dry ink. :rolleyes:

So Waterman made a narrow nib with a wet ink, Pelikan a dryer ink and wider nib....both met in the middle.

* I doubt if Pelikan changed it's nibs for the 'new' somewhat wetter  Edelstein inks.

I don't know anything about Japaneses pens....having no need for XXF or XXXF nibs.

Companies who make pens and inks match them...like MB is a medium to medium dry ink, with a somewhat wet nib.

Japanese makers will be matching their nib to their own ink....not other Japanese inks.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#11 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:26

Well, it depends on both the pen and the nib.  My Platinum Plaisir, which has a medium nib, is pretty dry.  And my Sailor Pro-Gear Slim, which has a zoom nib, is dry -- although I partly chalk that up to the unusual nib, and wouldn't necessarily presume that a normal nib would be dry.  OTOH, my Pilot Decimo, which has a fine nib, is not dry.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#12 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:45

To all those who own (tried) both pens, i would like to ask why are western nibs (pelikans specifically) are know to be wetter than the Japanese nibs (considering same nib width on paper and not marking) . Is it because of the feed/nib material or the engineering of the feed/nib ?

The modern materials seem similar to me

• Feeds: plastic, check
  • Nibs: gold, check

hmm... :huh: 

My guess, Pelikans are wetter because they dive into water whereas Sailors like to stay dry on the boat  :lol:

Seriously, all my unadjusted Pelikans are wetter than my comparable sized Sailors

I can only surmise it has to do with the nib shape and feed architecture. There are also some negative reports with Pelikan nib QC wherein nibs write broader than indicated.

That said, when I got my M101 ground, Mr. Mottishaw was able to tailor the flow down from the usual blast.

:wub:  I love Pelikans and Sailors both are among my top brands for reliability and go to ness

#13 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:33

Pelikan pens are piston fillers with larger ink capacities—those tend to naturally put out more ink.  Nib tipping width also plays a role.  For instance Sailor Zoom and Music nibs tend to be pretty juicy.  Both of my Music nibs (21K and 14K) put down a lot of ink.  Fine nibs of the Japanese variety are tuned to write more dry, in order to maintain that very thin line on paper.  With that said, my 21K Sailor F nib is a moderately wet writer, so there’s some variation.  Both of my Sailor EF nibs (21K and 14K) are more dry, which is a good thing.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#14 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:46

when your sailor was professionally adjusted, how wet did it run ? was it similar to pelikan wetness?

I would hope that it is as wet as the individual customer has requested, if a pen was professionally adjusted. I bought a Pelikan (and an Aurora) but not a Sailor from Nibsmith.com, and I specifically requested, as part of the nib work Dan Smith was doing for me as part and parcel of the transaction, that the ink flow is adjusted to suit the higher priority of line definition coming out of the EF-cum-crisp-Italic nib.

If you want your nib to be wet, then ask for it to be adjusted so, hopefully not with such descriptions as "similar to pelikan wetness" but in some way that the nibmeister can accommodate, test and verify. If you want your nib to be drier, then ask for that.

Pelikan pens are piston fillers with larger ink capacities

Some Pelikan fountain pens are. Pelikan P20x models are still fountain pens that rightly bears the brand name.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#15 BlueJ

BlueJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:18

Smug Dill is correct that the Sailor Realo I mentioned was tuned by Dan Smith to my request, as I tried to say above, and I used the numerical scale given on Dan's website to specify wetness and smoothness, and not any comparison to Pelikan or other pen brands. The comparison I made above was just to answer the OP's question.

Dan also did a great job of maintaining that special Sailor personality in the nib (the "pencil-like feedback") also as I asked.

#16 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 13:11

I would hope that it is as wet as the individual customer has requested, if a pen was professionally adjusted. I bought a Pelikan (and an Aurora) but not a Sailor from Nibsmith.com, and I specifically requested, as part of the nib work Dan Smith was doing for me as part and parcel of the transaction, that the ink flow is adjusted to suit the higher priority of line definition coming out of the EF-cum-crisp-Italic nib.

If you want your nib to be wet, then ask for it to be adjusted so, hopefully not with such descriptions as "similar to pelikan wetness" but in some way that the nibmeister can accommodate, test and verify. If you want your nib to be drier, then ask for that.

Some Pelikan fountain pens are. Pelikan P20x models are still fountain pens that rightly bears the brand name.

that is right, im wondering if its better to order from nibsmith, nibs.com or any other Japanese retainer 

#17 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 13:12

Smug Dill is correct that the Sailor Realo I mentioned was tuned by Dan Smith to my request, as I tried to say above, and I used the numerical scale given on Dan's website to specify wetness and smoothness, and not any comparison to Pelikan or other pen brands. The comparison I made above was just to answer the OP's question.

Dan also did a great job of maintaining that special Sailor personality in the nib (the "pencil-like feedback") also as I asked.

i adore the sailor feedback! that’s why i'm a huge fan or sailors! what wetness did you choose ?

#18 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 13:13

Pelikan pens are piston fillers with larger ink capacities—those tend to naturally put out more ink.  Nib tipping width also plays a role.  For instance Sailor Zoom and Music nibs tend to be pretty juicy.  Both of my Music nibs (21K and 14K) put down a lot of ink.  Fine nibs of the Japanese variety are tuned to write more dry, in order to maintain that very thin line on paper.  With that said, my 21K Sailor F nib is a moderately wet writer, so there’s some variation.  Both of my Sailor EF nibs (21K and 14K) are more dry, which is a good thing.

you have a point there, i'm wondering if a piston filler would push ink out of then nib more by gravity 

#19 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 13:14

Well, it depends on both the pen and the nib.  My Platinum Plaisir, which has a medium nib, is pretty dry.  And my Sailor Pro-Gear Slim, which has a zoom nib, is dry -- although I partly chalk that up to the unusual nib, and wouldn't necessarily presume that a normal nib would be dry.  OTOH, my Pilot Decimo, which has a fine nib, is not dry.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

why who are sailors in your opinion even drier than the pilots ?

#20 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 13:14

The modern materials seem similar to me

• Feeds: plastic, check
  • Nibs: gold, check

hmm... :huh:

My guess, Pelikans are wetter because they dive into water whereas Sailors like to stay dry on the boat  :lol:

Seriously, all my unadjusted Pelikans are wetter than my comparable sized Sailors

I can only surmise it has to do with the nib shape and feed architecture. There are also some negative reports with Pelikan nib QC wherein nibs write broader than indicated.

That said, when I got my M101 ground, Mr. Mottishaw was able to tailor the flow down from the usual blast.

:wub:  I love Pelikans and Sailors both are among my top brands for reliability and go to ness

yes ! you have point there, mine too ! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wetness, sailor, pelikan, nib, feed, japanese, western

Sponsored Content

|