• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stan

• AnnaZed

• Bennett

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Pioneer is a Japanese based company that specializes in digital entertainment products. So what you have is a pen probably branded as a special order for that company.

My guess is that it could have been manufactured by Pilot or another Japanese pen company that produces that type of pocket pen (for example the Pilot Elite model) in Japan.

Wonder if there could be a makers name under that collector on the nib.

Cartridge looks like Platinum (Sailor is cylindrical, Pilot is shorter and uses a rubber disk rather than a snap in ball)

Pioneer was an A/V (speakers/headphones at first) company. They seem to have expanded in auto navigation, bicycle stuff. Company history indicates they skipped the videotape era to develop LaserDisc.

But no idea if that is the same as the pen (if it is, those flowers are the weirdest microphone patterns around :lticaptd:)

The shape of the barrel and nib, as well as the cartridge says Platinum, except I've never even heard of an over-feed on a Plat pocket pen.... The color and font are similar to current Pioneer Electronics logos, but a Plat with that barrel shape would probably be 30+ years old and the Pioneer logo from that time period was much different. Pioneer Seed logos have been green for as long as I can remember and the graphic doesn't match anything I remember from either company. I've also never heard of a pen brand Pioneer (not that means anything!).

I'd suggest that it's a Franken-pen with a modern cap on a vintage barrel, but the cap looks like an age appropriate Plat cap and clip too :huh:

David-

So many restoration projects...

The nib number indicates the nib was made by Kawakami-Giken who, according to Mas Sunami, produced made to order nibs. My guess is there really was a Pioneer Pen Company who sourced parts from different places. Take out the cartridge and see if it resembles a Plat cartridge.

I think you have a very unique and interesting pen. Keep it.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

I think that Platinum cartridges were used in Japan as a type of standard for some time, smaller pen companies adopting Platinum's cartridge, in a way like the standard international today.

I think that Platinum cartridges were used in Japan as a type of standard for some time, smaller pen companies adopting Platinum's cartridge, in a way like the standard international today.

This was not the case. Each company used their own cartridges unless the pen was made by another firm for them, similar to Pilot making pens for Maruzen. I know four companies made cartridges - Platinum, Pilot, Sailor, and Morison. Platinum and Morison cartridges were almost interchangeable, the orifice on Morrison pens being slightly larger. In the 1980s international cartridges started to be used by some smaller makers. I have a pen from a company named Crescent (made by a big office supply company) that uses them.

The pen in question may be a sub-brand although I have never heard of Platinum doing so. That the nib is plated (am assuming it is - it is unusual for a plated nib to indicate karats) tells me it was an inexpensive model.

The time is now for you to do more homework. As there is a limited supply of pocket pens on eBay, go to Yahoo Japan and start comparing you pen with models made by Platinum and Sailor. Specifically look for the shape of the plastic at the nib and the clip design. Also, see it is is really a Platinum cartridge. You may also find some similarity in printing the design. This may provide enough clues.

This effort will provide you with better knowledge to grow your budding collection of Japanese pens.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

A couple of clues are that there was a Pioneer Pen Company that made glass nibbed pens in Japan and in the US, Pioneer was a sub brand of Wearever. I don't see this as connecting, simply two different strands of what may indicate the orgin of your pen.

How very kind you all are to take the time to respond to this. I love pen people, the best people. Here and the fp Reddit are oases of peace on the riotous net where I now almost never venture.

Stan you should compile a book with every single little thing that you know about Japanese pens. Skip the publisher phase and self publish on Amazon as a eBook with photos. I would buy it!! Other people would too.

Each response was so thoughtful.

Parker51, I too noticed that Pioneer subsidiary of Wearever. It seems unrelated to me.

Peerless, Yes, thanks for thinking of this. The old cartridge says 'Platinum' in raised letters on the plastic even. https://imgur.com/a/bakqa7M Also, where did you get that info about Kawakami-Giken?

Mention of Kawakami-giken is found in Lambrou/Sunmai FPOJ. If they were a major producer of nibs they would be better known.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens