What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2020 Edition

RMN

a smooth, well working EF is really a joy to use, and quite special. congrats.

they can be picky about ink, though. at least mine is.

cheers,

sebastian

Edited by sebastel23

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• zaddick

• DrDebG

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had a very good two weeks pen wise, with heavy MB influences. A 139 homage pen is missing due to an issue with the Bock nib but it's making its way back for repair. I may have gone a bit overboard buying myself birthday gifts.

goodweek.jpeg

I just bought a Montblanc Boheme set together with a 3 pen case by Montblanc. A Platimum Line midsize fountain pen accompanied by a ballpen. It's not here yet.

Edited by sanphoemo

I've had a very good two weeks pen wise, with heavy MB influences. A 139 homage pen is missing due to an issue with the Bock nib but it's making its way back for repair. I may have gone a bit overboard buying myself birthday gifts.

Happy Birthday. Buying what you want is sometimes the way to get what you "need."

Special should out for getting an OBB! :thumbup:

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

fpn_1601361161__blue_planet_note.jpgfpn_1601361233__blue_planet_bottle.jpg

Dear Tom,

thank you very much for that excellent writing sample. I really like your handwriting and it looks like the Starwalker ink and that paper is a nice combination. Congratulations to this amazing blue ink.

I am considering that ink for my collection, too. Do you know the JFK ink? This is one of my favorite MB inks. But is getting harder and harder to buy one for reasonable prices. I am wondering how the Starwalker ink is looking and performing in comparison to that JFK ink.

Regards

Christian.

As a fan of Montblanc blue inks this looks like a nice addition.

Edited by rennfahrer

fpn_1601361161__blue_planet_note.jpgfpn_1601361233__blue_planet_bottle.jpg

Dear Tom,

thank you very much for that excellent writing sample. I really like your handwriting and it looks like the Starwalker ink and that paper is a nice combination. Congratulations to this amazing blue ink.

I am considering that ink for my collection, too. Do you know the JFK ink? This is one of my favorite MB inks. But is getting harder and harder to buy one for reasonable prices. I am wondering how the Starwalker ink is looking and performing in comparison to that JFK ink.

Regards

Christian.

I am also wondering everyones thoughts on the Blue Planet ink vs. JFK.

Initially I felt the Blue Planet ink was a bit dull, but I think that was because I was expecting a much lighter blue. It's really grown on me. Compared to JFK it's not as dark and has some shading. I think I prefer Blue Planet to be honest.

Initially I felt the Blue Planet ink was a bit dull, but I think that was because I was expecting a much lighter blue. It's really grown on me. Compared to JFK it's not as dark and has some shading. I think I prefer Blue Planet to be honest.

Thank you very much for your sharing your impressions. In really like what you have to say about the Blue Planet ink. Sometimes I am missing a little bit of shading in the JFK Ink and a little lighter blue sounds good to me as well. So it should be a nice addition to the JFK ink and not a only a replacement.

I now reserved two bottles at my friendly MB dealer! :D

For a blue addicted ink lover the next interesting question for me is: What about the Elvis blue ink ... ;)

Looks like an expensive fall. :puddle:

Edited by colormind

I got a bottle of Blue Planet and V. Hugo Sepia - I will do a review soon. The Blue Planet seems nearly in the middle of JFK and Midnight Blue. I loved the Blue/Black from years ago. I like them all. Being a blue fan is great with so many options. I hate the best ones are discontinued (like Omas Blue).

Just received my Egyptomania doue fountain pen...WOW!! I had already bought the black/gold version, which I love, but the doue is just in another category altogether.

fpn_1603815855__mb_egyptomania_doue_vs_b

The pic I'm attaching doesn't do the doue justice...for some reason I can't get the light to reflect off the hieroglyphs in the photo the way it often does when I am writing with it. I didn't wipe the fingerprints from either pen so you can get a sense of what they will look like with regular use. But normally I wipe them down after each use.

Black/silver Egyptomania FP (F nib)

What I love

• everything!! (true!)
  • the hieroglyph engraved segment on the barrel is stunning...even more so than pictures that I've seen have suggested. When I turn the barrel under a desk light, the engraved hieroglyphs sparkle in a subtle but beautiful way. Some hidden bling I hadn't expected. (I think it's just the reflection off of the metal inside the inscribed shapes but the effect is beautiful)
  • did I mention hieroglyphs!!?
  • the black/silver effects are even more striking and appealing than in photos. I'd first bought the black/gold because the black/silver somehow didn't seem to evoke Egypt (or at least Egyptomania) as much as black gold (though someone has posted some pics of Egyptian uses of silver than indicate that this isn't accurate). Eventually I didn't want to miss out on the hieroglyphs, though, so bought the doue, but expected it to seem somewhat flat colorwise. Not at all. I would have loved to see a black/gold doue, too, but the black/silver combo is far more attractive than I had expected...truly stunning.
  • The pen is less of a fingerprint magnet than the black/gold version
  • the weight is perfect (whereas the black/gold felt way too light for me)
What I'm not as crazy about:
  • Nothing!! (Okay, I just received it yesterday...so maybe this will change. But right now...just...wow!)

Black/gold Egyptomania FP (EF nib)

What I love:

• black/gold combo (gorgeous)
  • the inscribed decorative nib (an EF which also writes beautifully)
  • the octagonal shape is subtle & stunning...the cut of the resin seems to amplify its inherent gloss
  • the octagonal shape also keeps it from rolling!
What I'm not as crazy about:
  • too light...for me, but I gravitate towards very heavy pens, e.g., 64g Caran d'Ache...so this might be just right for many people. This is the part I'm least loving with this pen
  • This isn't a major flaw or anything, but the gold plating on the section somehow looks a little cheap. But maybe it's the lightness that makes it feel cheaper? This isn't a major concern with the pen, but an impression nonetheless.
  • I love the glossy barrel, but it is a fingerprint magnet like you wouldn't believe (and I am used to fingerprint magnet FPs...but even I am constantly wiping this pen down with a microfiber cloth...I am also anxious about the ease with which it may show microscratches and etc)
  • I wish they'd included more decorative elements on the black barrel...aside from the octagonal shape, the Egyptomania references seem to be mostly confined to the nib and cap. For the price, especially, I would like the barrel on its own to evoke Egyptomania a little more explicitly. (That said, I can see why others might prefer the subtler references on this one compared to the doue).
Edited by seimodern

octagonal.

octa = 8

hexa = 6

Gah...such an idiot! (I have so many hex pens I didn't even think to notice those extra two sides even though it obviously reduces the span of each facet) Let's just say I was too bedazzled by the sheen of the hieroglyphs....

And thanks Tom K.....your beautiful photos from the MB boutique actually helped me make the decision to get both!

Edited by seimodern

Gah...such an idiot! (I have so many hex pens I didn't even think to notice those extra two sides even though it obviously reduces the span of each facet) Let's just say I was too bedazzled by the sheen of the hieroglyphs....

And thanks Tom K.....your beautiful photos from the MB boutique actually helped me make the decision to get both!

no worries. they are true beauties, where such minor geometrical details make no difference.

i had a chance to hold one last saturday, in my local b&m. very seductive, but i just had surrendered to a 149 the week before. and my budget is limited. maybe later. they will be available for a few more days.

enjoy the dazzle. enjoy the hieroglyphs.

as i enjoy your joy!

cheers,

sebastian

I bought a rollerball Petit Prince about a month ago, and yesterday, I got the fountain version as well.

http://www.arcmailbox.com/img/pens/prince-paper.png

I figure Royal Blue ink is fitting either way because he's a prince. :)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

Two not in hand yet, but on their way...

3-42g with an F-B flex nib

147 BB

Bunn, you got it bad!!

17 minutes ago, kazoolaw said:

Bunn, you got it bad!!

I know.

At the beginning of October, I had 2 Montblancs-a 146 and a 24. Now it's 10 in hand, and 13 counting the ones in-transit. Of course, you haven't exactly helped in that regard :)(and had me briefly shopping for Hemingways). 

I guess the last to arrive was a 12 OBB, and the one before that was a 14 EF.