The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Bakelite Pens By Wancher On Kickstarter

seven treasures japanese kickstarter wancher shippoyaki

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 17:37

Wancher has launched a kickstarter for a series of fountain pens with the name Seven Treasures. They are made from Bakelite and feature Shippoyaki; Japanese Cloisonne artwork.

Current super early bird reward is at $240 for the basic version with steel nib and plastic feed.

Black ebonite feed is an aditional $30

Red ebonite feed is +$50

Gold nib is +$130

https://www.kickstar...seven-treasures

Edited by Theroc, 04 February 2020 - 19:33.

Sponsored Content

#2 TaizoOkagaki

TaizoOkagaki

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 19:55

Thank you so much for your support. I hope the pen will fulfill your expectation!

#3 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 21:40

I really wanted to back this one, but 10-11 months is too much of a lead time for me. Beautiful pens though and I am glad it funded!

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#4 TaizoOkagaki

TaizoOkagaki

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:40

I really wanted to back this one, but 10-11 months is too much of a lead time for me. Beautiful pens though and I am glad it funded!

We expect to ship them in July if you order steel nib. For gold nib, we need a bit more time to make the nib so it migh take until December. Thank you for your support. I hope I will do better.

#5 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:56

Taizo:

I have read that Bakelite in Fountain pens can be very fragile , particularly if dropped.  

Is that true with your Bakelite Pen?  If no, what have you done differently so as to make your Bakelite not fragile?

Does the Bakelite require any special care? (environmental?  cleaning?)

Thanks in advance for your reply..

#6 BlueJ

BlueJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 17:14

Brittleness would be my concern about bakelite, too. Did you ever see an old movie where someone throws a phonograph record against a wall like a frisbee, and it shatters? Those 78 rpm records were bakelite. Vinyl (introduced late in the 78 rpm era and used in all 33 1/3 rpm LPs) doesn't do that, of course. Here we're talking about pens, but unless Taizo's material is different somehow, the same issue will exist.

On another front, this pen looks very similar to the FPNibs.com Ronda. I wonder if Wancher is getting these from the same factory in Taiwan that makes the FPNibs Ronda and Marbella? Those pens cost only a fraction of this one, and you can get them with one of Pablo's custom grinds too.

#7 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 17:49

On another front, this pen looks very similar to the FPNibs.com Ronda. I wonder if Wancher is getting these from the same factory in Taiwan that makes the FPNibs Ronda and Marbella? Those pens cost only a fraction of this one, and you can get them with one of Pablo's custom grinds too.

Doubtful - the Wancher is a piston filler according to the Kickstarter and the Ronda is just a c/c pen.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#8 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 21:31

Doubtful - the Wancher is a piston filler according to the Kickstarter and the Ronda is just a c/c pen.

Not sure it is true Piston fill...like a Pelikan piston fill.

In the video on Kickstarter there is an image that appears for a brief moment, where the barrel is off and its looks like a traditional converter ...so perhaps this pen is a captive converter, sometimes deceptively (in my opinion) called,  a Piston Fill.

The fpnibs Rhonda and Marbella are both made of Resin.

Edited by Bill P, 06 February 2020 - 21:34.

#9 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 22:46

I have a set of dice made of bakelite. They have been used daily for over 20yrs in boardgames. They are not brittle by any measure.

#10 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 23:38

Figboot recently did a video on it - he describes it as a piston filler - remember you are also paying for the shippoyaki piece on the cap.  Also the section unscrews to allow you to fill without getting in on it.

#11 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 00:32

Watch the video on their Kickstarter page @2:37. It looks like a captive converter.

However, it's not a standard converter, it looks much fatter than a Schmidt K5 for instance. It also appears to have a ratcheting mechanism similar to some Visconti and Delta models.

Reminds me of the Centropen 10014.

Edited by Theroc, 07 February 2020 - 00:33.

#12 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 00:42

Saw these! They are beautiful.

#13 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:37

Watch the video on their Kickstarter page @2:37. It looks like a captive converter.

However, it's not a standard converter, it looks much fatter than a Schmidt K5 for instance. It also appears to have a ratcheting mechanism similar to some Visconti and Delta models.

I suspect it's the same Schmidt piston-filler component used by Santini Italia in its Libra and Calypso models, down to the ratcheting mechanism and the capacity of the ink reservoir.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#14 AGxM

AGxM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:14

I have bitten the bullet on this ..... long wait until December for the gold nib, but by then my wallet would have forgotten about it and so no biggie!

#15 TaizoOkagaki

TaizoOkagaki

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:23

Taizo:

I have read that Bakelite in Fountain pens can be very fragile , particularly if dropped.  

Is that true with your Bakelite Pen?  If no, what have you done differently so as to make your Bakelite not fragile?

Does the Bakelite require any special care? (environmental?  cleaning?)

Thanks in advance for your reply..

I understand your concern but my bakelite pen is not brittle nor week. In fact, it is very strong after a lot of testing and experiments. This bakelite is made using a special technique where roll-up paper and cotton is used as a base.

Of course, this bakelite is 100% from Japan and confirmed with safety as well as strength certificate.

You can clean the fountain pen using a cloth with or without slightly abrasive cleaner (don't forget to wear gloves) and do not apply strong pressure on the bakelite surface.

#16 mauckcg

mauckcg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:06

Brittleness would be my concern about bakelite, too. Did you ever see an old movie where someone throws a phonograph record against a wall like a frisbee, and it shatters? Those 78 rpm records were bakelite. Vinyl (introduced late in the 78 rpm era and used in all 33 1/3 rpm LPs) doesn't do that, of course. Here we're talking about pens, but unless Taizo's material is different somehow, the same issue will exist.

Depends on the Bakelite I would Imagine.  Eastern europe used bakelite for years on firearms and the parts held up well, some of the bits being rather thin and long which would lead to cracking and such.

#17 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 820 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:39

Telephones, razor handles, insulators, and light fixtures were made from Bakelite. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#18 Bill P

Bill P

FOUNTAIN PEN ENTHUSIAST

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 14:16

I understand your concern but my bakelite pen is not brittle nor week. In fact, it is very strong after a lot of testing and experiments. This bakelite is made using a special technique where roll-up paper and cotton is used as a base.

Of course, this bakelite is 100% from Japan and confirmed with safety as well as strength certificate.

You can clean the fountain pen using a cloth with or without slightly abrasive cleaner (don't forget to wear gloves) and do not apply strong pressure on the bakelite surface.

Taizo:

Thank-you for your reply...best of luck with your Kickstarter campaign.

Bill

#19 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 18:40

Telephones, razor handles, insulators, and light fixtures were made from Bakelite. 

Steering wheels. That's the first image that pops up in my mind when Bakelite is mentioned.

Along with a sharp pang of nostalgia.

91JfWeVMVnL._SL1500_.jpg

#20 Dovucoe

Dovucoe

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 20:02

Hi, just to check, would it be OK to soak parts of the pen in water? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seven treasures, japanese, kickstarter, wancher, shippoyaki

Sponsored Content

|