The M & G Wood Pen

basterma

I bought this pen three months ago from an M & G store in Beijing. I now have several pens made by the company and they are all smooth writers out of the box. M & G seems to be an independent company, but uses one of the "standard" cartridge types that modern Chinese pens use.

1JTCqK.jpg

The nib is a clone of a Lamy nib and it puts a smooth line for an EF nib. Lamy's nibs always had trouble with the I way I loop certain letters, but this nib does not do that. I don't know if it is the thickness of the nib, or the alloy used, but I can never get the non-2000 Lamy nibs to write well for me. There is no decoration on the nib other than the width of the nib. I have not tried to pull out or swap nibs.

1Jxxu4.jpg

The other views of the nib

1JTusP.jpg

1JTexI.jpg

The converter is the lower level plunger filler seen in cheaper Chinese pens with an annoyingly sized glass ball that perfectly blocks the opening, leading to a needlessly finicky rinsing process. They could have made the ball just a little bit larger and made the converter much more competent. I have had to prime the plunger three times a fill. You can see the plunger partially depressed in the first picture.

The cap has a nice brushed aluminum finish that seems to have been applied after the clip was attached as the finish is a little less matte near the clip. The clip works well enough and has two indentations that look like rivets. Other than these "rivets" the pen has a ruthlessly functional aesthetic. It reminds me of some Online pens I have seen. The barrel is mostly brass with the wood forming a binde. I do not know what kind of wood is used as there was nothing in the packaging I could read to tell me.

1JTFaD.jpg

I have used Blue Hero 233 ink in it and the result is nice despite my poor handwriting. The pen cost less than 100 RMB and is a nice step up from the normal blister pack pens M & G sells in China. I recommend looking at the pens from M & G as they are trying to be different from other Chinese companies.

For photo geeks I used the super macro setting on my Fuji Finepix S1.

Edited by basterma

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• basterma

• Mech-for-i

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the POV regarding M&G ; the brand's fountain pen , well the non junior student pen range , are generally very nice and decent pens by all account and almost always come ready to write NIB ( though I still do my routine cleaning none the less ). One of the M&G ( model 1202 ) is currently my EDC , with the same EF nib as shown in OP's and I also come to enjoy its more forgiving performance over the stock Lamy nib

So I was looking around in my boxes, as I recently moved apartments, and I found the box for the pen. It is an M & G AFPY3005 and it cost 50.00 RMB. The box includes a production date of December 14th 2018. The website for the company is http://www.mgstationery.com/