Mb Egyptomania

admmarcos

fpupulin: Montblanc must have measured the thickest point of the pen, which is the widest part of the cap. If you look at their measurements on 146 models etc, it seems that they always measure the thickest point of the pen, usually the cap (in 146, 15.5mm) They must have done well with this pen. US site shows that the silver version is sold out already. Silver version on Swiss site only has M nib option left. I see that you are somewhat tempted. ;)

Thank you, como.

I took the photo from MB site and calculate via Photoshop the diameter of the body (edge to edge, as it is presented, not facet to facet). Given the diameter of the cap at 13.8 mm, the girth of the body is comparatively just over 12 mm, and I guess that this is not possible. Twelve mm is more than 2 mm wider than the girth of a 146 or, to compare it with another 12-faceted pen, a bit more than the diameter of the cap of an OMAS Paragon old style, edge to edge, at its widest point... May be they measured the size including the clip.

Well, it seems that I will have to wait for the courtesy of one of the new owners of this nice pen to take a measurement of the real thing.

As to the temptation, como, I really do not know. The pen is on the side of the very expensive for my means, and I feel uncomfortable with pens that have a small girth section. Let we see...

Edited by fpupulin

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• admmarcos

• fpupulin

• thott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, como.

I took the photo from MB site and calculate via Photoshop the diameter of the body (edge to edge, as it is presented, not facet to facet). Given the diameter of the cap at 13.8 mm, the girth of the body is comparatively just over 12 mm, and I guess that this is not possible. Twelve mm is more than 2 mm wider than the girth of a 146 or, to compare it with another 12-faceted pen, a bit more than the diameter of the cap of an OMAS Paragon old style, edge to edge, at its widest point... May be they measured the size including the clip.

The diameter of Heritage nib close to section is 5.5mm. I assume Egyptomania uses the same nib.

I got photo from Montblanc webpage, nib close to section is 24 pixel, barrel width is 48.5 pixel. The barrel width is roughly 13mm. This is identical to regular 146 (13mm) and larger than Heritage Rouge Noir (11mm).

fpupulin: I suspect that it's the same thin metal section, because if I assume that this nib is the same as the Heritage Rouge et Noir (the regular version) and compare the proportion of both pens between nib and section in the photos, I would reach the conclusion that the front ends of both Egyptomania and Rouge et Noir are the same. Mania seems to have a girthier barrel. My only two pens with metal section are both relatively girthy at section, have concave shape (Montegrappa Extra 1930 Turtle with silver section and Conid Kingsize with titanium section), and not too slippery. A thin metal section will not work well for me either. I don't dare to go to the local shop to look, for fear that I might actually buy it despite the thin section. So we will have to wait for a new owner to satisfy our curiosity. :)

...Well, it seems that I will have to wait for the courtesy of one of the new owners of this nice pen to take a measurement of the real thing.

As to the temptation, como, I really do not know. The pen is on the side of the very expensive for my means, and I feel uncomfortable with pens that have a small girth section. Let we see...

It seems pretty clear that this pen is the Rouge et Noir with a different design. The differences in this variant seem to be purely cosmetic.

Nothing wrong with that - the Heritage nib is an absolute pleasure to use, the pens are solid and feel much higher-quality to me than a Meisterstück, attention to detail is great, both in the design and the fit and finish. But it is a very slim pen with a metal section and a small ink capacity. And in my experience with the Rouge et Noir, the cap doesn’t seal very well.

I think it is a lovely pen. I’m just not sure I will buy one when I already have the Rouge et Noir. I guess between the two the choice would depend on whether the snake clip or the Egyptian elements are more appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume it’s allowed to post this here as it just appeared in my Instagram feed from Montblanc. I guess this is the special very exclusive limited edition Egyptomania pen.

Posted Image

Edited by MoriartyR

Yes, that's the one! You press the little blue beetle at the bottom up and it unlatches. A quick twist to the side and the top part bayonets off. Inside is the slim pen, which springs out from the bottom half of the sarcophagus. Marvellous engineering.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

It is the High Artistry LE10. I suppose as each year there will be several models: one around LE50, one LE10, maybe one around LE5 and several LE1. It was the case for the Taj Mahal, Kepler and other models.

These are additional photos I captured from the Instagram story of Montblanc:

50368443308_1faa02fd1d_c.jpg 50368443288_c4f8fcebe3_c.jpg

50369146741_8e2bc842af_c.jpg 50369147566_fb1d7c2e4c_c.jpg

50368441748_e499d34e88_c.jpg 50369308187_96dd85628c_c.jpg

50369308617_e9e8e2fecc_c.jpg 50369307222_7bcfeb5e79_c.jpg

Edited by Cyrille

Just heard from MB about my nib exchange on the Doue and it looks like some time in December before I receive it back.

Just heard from MB about my nib exchange on the Doue and it looks like some time in December before I receive it back.

Three months to change a nib?! I will never understand the Montblanc nib exchange programme or the reason for its existence. It’s a design deficiency marketed as a special service.

Personally, if the store doesn’t have the pen with the nib I want they simply lose the sale.

Same with mine, I was told I'd receive my pen with an OM nib by December.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

Same with mine, I was told I'd receive my pen with an OM nib by December.

Due to Covid they had to close down the repair services for several weeks this summer so now they have a huge queue waiting for any kinds of service. Even in Germany it takes now 4-6 weeks...

I had a nib exchange at the beginning of this month. They said it would take a very long time due to a back-log and demand but it came back to me within two weeks. That's a faster turn-around than it normally is.

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update on my Egyptomania. I received a text from Montblanc that my pen is ready at my local boutique for pickup a few days ago(2 months early). The pen looked beautiful, but the feed was rotated so far off the nib that the pen would not write when inked. It's now making its way back to Texas for round two of work.

I was assured that the pen was QC'd before it left Texas but I can't imagine a pen passing QC in the state it was in.

but the feed was rotated so far off the nib that the pen would not write when inked. It's now making its way back to Texas for round two of work.

Heritage feeder is friction mount, can be easily pulled out and then insert. In your case, probably the feeder was not fully inserted.

I believe Richmond never reuse feeder.

fpn_1602171916__ee.jpg

Thanks, this is really good to know.

I just had to send one of my other Heritage pens to Texas for repair and it's good to know that I can adjust the feed my self.

Is it in the housing as tightly as say a 149 nib is?

You can wrap feeder with wet cloth, hold the nib edges and pull out easily without any damage. I believe that's how Montblanc does repair otherwise it is too complicated to open from rear end.