Mb Egyptomania

admmarcos

Yes, white mountain is apparently the hieroglyphic translation, according to the London boutique.

He said the ink and pens would be September.

I can confirm what other posters have said that the 72 (?) edition is frankly the most impressive pen I've ever handled, a true delight. For my budget, the midrange silver version will have to suffice. The resin-only version felt too light.

I already saw it in a video, and seems like a sarcophagus in which the pen is inserted.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• admmarcos

• flaneur

• maclink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already saw it in a video, and seems like a sarcophagus in which the pen is inserted.

Yes, that's correct, a very slim pen inserted in a kind of spring-loaded sarcophagus with a lid actuated by pressing a scarab beetle — although I was trying to avoid breaking the rules of discussing design details of unreleased products!

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

So, now that it's September, is it officially released? Can I finally see a picture?

I've been reading this thread for months and still have no idea what it looks like!

The promotional text suggests a softer nib I wonder if it will perform or feel like the Nib on the MB Heritage 1912..

I don't have the 1912 but I have several Heritage pens and all the nibs are softer than other MB nibs. It is one of the characteristic of the Heritage nibs. It is the same with the nibs of the Heritage 1914 too.

Yeah, the Egyptomania nib looks the same as the Heritage 1912 and the Rouge et Noir pens. They were all notably soft and I really enjoy using mine because of that feeling.

The only thing that I found wasn’t great about the Rouge et Noir pens was that the caps didn’t seal well enough and the nibs were prone to drying out (at least in my experience - I have two and both have this problem). The 1912 doesn’t have this issue at all but the body shape of the Egyptomania is rather similar to the R&N and I wonder if this has been improved or not. I don’t know whether others experienced this.

Do my eyes deceive me or does this look like a stub nib of some sorts? The image is directly from the Montblanc UK site, so I hope it doesn't violate any rule here.

w1684.jpg

Edited by adim

When I first saw the word "...mania", I thought it would be another over-the-top crazy looking pen that Montblanc does sometimes. But it's actually quite nice, especially the silver one. :)

especially the silver one. :)

In this case, I definitely prefer the brass model (if it's brass?). In my opinion, silver does not match the colors of Egypt.
Do you have any information about dimensions? Egyptomania will be like Rouge & Noir or will it have a larger diameter?
Edited by Mariusz888
ZEGARKI I PIÓRA.COM / WATCHES & FOUNTAIN PENS.COM - website about fountain pens and watches (news, reviews, tests) :)

I see your point. The pen has the shape of the 1920s MB safety pens, very nice. I don’t know the measurements. The nib looks like the same type as other Herotage nibs, soft bouncy, definitely among my favorites in modern MB nibs.

In this case, I definitely prefer the brass model (if it's brass?). In my opinion, silver does not match the colors of Egypt.

Do you have any information about dimensions? Egyptomania will be like Rouge & Noir or will it have a larger diameter?

Do my eyes deceive me or does this look like a stub nib of some sorts? The image is directly from the Montblanc UK site, so I hope it doesn't violate any rule here.

This caught my eye as well; I'd assume "B" or "BB".

Cheers

Michael

The conic, rounded filler cone, gently contrasts with the octagonal shape of the body and the cap. I like that Montblanc decided to maintain it rounded and not octagonal as well.

Furthermore, the filler cone has those perfect ratio to the body that is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful things of the Meisterstück series.

Once you are used at those perfect proportions, the size of the filler cone looks somewhat wrong almost in any other pen...

Edited by fpupulin

Not so sure about this. You may read an interesting account on the use of silver in antique Egypt in a short essay by Deborah Schorsch, curator of the Department of Objects Conservation at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, published in the web pages of the Museum (link here). For long times, Egyptians valued silver more highly than gold and, in many ways, they used it similarly to gold.

I am attaching here the photo of a silver Libation Vessel from the collection of the MET (15th century B.C.). The inscription reads: "Given as a blessing of the King to the King's Wife, Manuwai, justified."

The body of the Egyptomania Doué by Montblanc is quite justified, too…

fpn_1599067816__screen_shot_2020-09-02_a

Well, I think I'm stuck getting an OBB in one and a BP in the other. If I have to have one BP it might as well be from this collection.

Does anyone else in the US only see the silver FP on the MB website?

Do you have any information about dimensions? Egyptomania will be like Rouge & Noir or will it have a larger diameter

Edited by ThierryfromFrance

From the Montblanc site:

Montblanc Heritage Egyptomania Special Edition noir

Dimensions 142.9 x 13.8 mm

weight 34.16 g

Montblanc Heritage Egyptomania Doué

Dimensions 142.9 mm x 13.8 mm

weight 44.96 g