Oldwin / The Pen Family In Arco Verde

siddr90

Hi all,

Just received an email for the new 90th anniversary pens from Oldwin & The Pen Family (ASC & team).

See link below for details. Pen comes in rhodium trim and gold trim.

I really like the arco verde material but I don't like the ring that breaks the seamless design of Oldwin.

I suppose they have done this for a piston filler?

Thoughts? Anyone planning to buy one?

https://thepenfamily.com/products/oldwintorpedorhodium

Cheers,

Sidd

Edited by Sidd

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seney724

• Professor Plume

• MalcLee

• whichwatch

Just a word of caution for punters who have not received their email. The MSRP states that the pen is actually $1390, not $650. The $650 that you pay now is just a down payment towards the pen. Not the actual MSRP. Buyers beware.

I bought this same pen from Mora Stylos a few years ago in the same Arco Verde and paid about half that. I guess it is the going rate for anything made of Arco Celluloid.

They are really marking them up, even if they now have a piston filler (mine is C/C).

I wonder if they are still going to sell on the MS site.

BTW I love mine.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Just a word of caution for punters who have not received their email. The MSRP states that the pen is actually $1390, not $650. The $650 that you pay now is just a down payment towards the pen. Not the actual MSRP. Buyers beware.

I saw the same thing and was going to post about that. Their ad is deceptive as can be. At the top it says "MSRP $650" but only much lower it shows the real price. Buyers beware indeed!

Jumped on it thinking that would be a good opportunity to get an Oldwin. That add is deceptive as hell, i'm writing up my cancellation now.

Very nice material..a c/c filler......

MSRP $1375 Deposit $650

This 2020 release has a Limited Edition of 90 pens worldwide. Available exclusively at ThePenfamily.com and Morastylos.com.

Who to order from..choices..choices..........

Fred

"I found I could say things with colour and shapes that I couldn't say any other way----

things I had no words for."

----Georgia O'Keeffe

Personally, I'm shocked that Morastylos would lower themselves to the level of ASC / The Pen Family.

What are they thinking about? Morastylos has one of the most highly regarded and coveted brand names in the world of fine pens. Unless the ownership of Morastylos wants "out," as did Howard Bexley, this is an incomprehensible decision, one which they will surely regret.

These pens are NOT Oldwins but, just as the line of ASC pens made with Omas rods are currently being marketed (or the ASC Conway Stewarts or the ASC Bexleys), they sure as heck will do everything they can to make one believe they are...........

I just looked at the Morastylos website, there is no mention of this "arrangement" with The Pen Family to be found.............

As for the deception and price gouging being described in the above posts, suffice it to say I am not surprised by it.

What I am curious about is the Boeing anodized aluminum feeder. I wonder how well that will work. They don't show a picture of it.

While this may be a "marvelous" pen, I am not at all attracted to it.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Likewise, I dont like the look of the ring in between the barrel and section. And if the Arco pattern on the barrel will or will not align with the cap. Ill pass.

My other concern (not that I would ever purchase one) is the "piston" filling system in these pens........ which I would bet is really a captured converter. (More deception?)

In my experience, captured converters are almost all disasters. They fail quickly and are unable to be repaired without sending it back to the Company. And then, when the Company ceases to exist, repairs are not possible once the supply of replacements has been exhausted There are several posts here on FPN, some by our most respected members, who provide ample evidence that this is a factual statement and legitimate concern.

The "true" Oldwin Classics use a standard converter. It works perfectly well. They are gorgeous pens with excellent mechanics. These Pen Family "modifications" are absurd!!

What is Morastylos thinking about???????? :gaah:

Edited by Seney724

I just looked at the Morastylos website, there is no mention of this "arrangement" with The Pen Family to be found.............

As for the deception and price gouging being described in the above posts, suffice it to say I am not surprised by it.

On the site as a 90th Anniversary LE. It also seemed that prices on the site have risen across the board recently on all the Oldwins. Edited by gary

I wonder if you could post a link to the area on the Morastylos website where the pens are displayed / described?

All I can find is a simple statement on the landing page ( https://morastylos.com/ ) which says:

90TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION

There are no photos and no description. Nothing. Just the wording you see above.........

In addition, if one goes into the "Oldwin" section of the website, there is nothing to be found.

As for the pricing of the Oldwin Classics, I am not so sure they have increased in cost. And, even if some have, the current price of 700 Euros (USD equivalent ~ $780) is certainly far less than what The Pen Family is asking for the pens ($1,375 / Euro equivalent ~ 1240).

Interestingly, if one compares the current Oldwin Classic price of USD $780 to the "headline" price in the announcement circulated by The Pen Family ($650) one's first impression is that it is a good deal. Of course, when one reads the "small print" one learns the $650 is just the deposit.

Must be a most wonderful nib to cost that much for a plastic body.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I didn't find a page on the website devoted to the 90th Anniversary pen. In fact the pen on the home page at Sene724's link is the LE,as you can see by the gold ring between the section and the barrel.

Previously there were non-Arco Classics listed for less than 700 Euros. There were Arco Classics at 700 Euros, which is obviously less than the price of the LE. Scarcity is rarely cheap.

If not Morastylos, who is making these pens?

Edited by gary

I didn't find a page on the website devoted to the 90th Anniversary pen. In fact the pen on the home page at Sene724's link is the LE,as you can see by the gold ring between the section and the barrel.

Previously there were non-Arco Classics listed for less than 700 Euros. There were Arco Classics at 700 Euros, which is obviously less than the price of the LE. Scarcity is rarely cheap.

If not Morastylos, who is making these pens?

Thank you Gary. You are correct about what is now found when clicking on my link. The website must have been updated within the past two hours because those images were not there when I posted the link.

Who knows who is making these pens! If it is Morastylos, then there are at least two modifications present which are at variance from their current, standard production. On the other hand, both are standard production features in the ASC pens.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I could not make it to the LA Pen Show this year...... :crybaby:

I'm wondering if either The Pen Family or Morastylos were there and had these pens on display?

If yes, did anybody check them out??

Yes, the Oldwin/Pen Family pens in Arco Green were there. Quite honestly, I was so put off by what I considered to be a very deceptive advertising post, I didn't even stop to check them out. I just glanced at them and kept walking.

I did however buy an Oldwin in the original Tibaldi Impero celluloid directly from M. Mora.

I did however buy an Oldwin in the original Tibaldi Impero celluloid directly from M. Mora.

:yikes: :drool:

OMG!!!!!!!

Some guys......................