The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Need Some Green Ink Suggestions

green ink

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 18:25

I just bought a Pelikan M600 in Green.  I own several inks that lean on the side of teal or turquoise so I'm looking for my true greens.  I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on green ink.

Sponsored Content

#2 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 18:33

fpn_1580409168__img_5677.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#3 corniche

corniche

He Is Risen

• Member - Gold

• 2,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 19:03

I just bought a Pelikan M600 in Green.  I own several inks that lean on the side of teal or turquoise so I'm looking for my true greens.  I'm looking for suggestions / recommendations on green ink.

Hi Vunter,

I agree with Noihvo with the Sauvage; you may also want to check out Pelikan Dark Green and Diamine Sherwood.

Hope this helps.

Sean :)
I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, although he be dead, shall live: And every one that liveth, and believeth in me, shall not die for ever. Believest thou this? - JN 11:25-26

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

#4 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 19:07

Not sure if you want a bright or darker shade. Some suggestions:

Diamine Sherwood Green
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green
Pelikan 4001 Dark Green
Montblanc Irish Green

Edit: beaten to the punch by corniche :)

Edited by migo984, 30 January 2020 - 19:08.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#5 N1003U

N1003U

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 19:17

I would add to the above suggestions:

Pelikan Edelstein Adventurine
Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku

Edit: Congrats in the green M600. Enjoy the wonderful pen. The green-striped Pelikan Souverän is my favorite color among Pelikans, and the M600 is my favorite model.

Edited by N1003U, 30 January 2020 - 19:21.

#6 Mercian

Mercian

Egregiously prolix

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 19:28

If you happen to have a talent for sniffing out buried caches of long-discontinued inks, there's Parker Penman Emerald.

Diamine's website might be a good place to start - they offer umpteen shades of green.
IIRC TheWritingDesk.co.uk also shows swatches of all their inks by colour - and they stock loads of diffferent ones.

Whatever you get recommended to you, I advise you to read a few reviews of that ink here first - not just to check for properties such as shading, feathering, bleeding, writing 'dry' or 'wet' etc, but because people's individual perceptions of colours are so very varied.
What seems 'true green' to me (Penman Emerald) might possibly seem to you to lean towards blue or yellow or earthy-brown. Or you might find that you actually prefer 'earthy' shades of green (e.g. Diamine ‘Classic Green’) over bright ones.

Good luck!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

#7 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 20:18

Try samples! Many samples! All the samples! ok...

Greens...

+1 for Lierre Sauvage, it's perfectly balanced between yellow and green, not too dark, not too light.

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine, it's an ink of the year (2017?) but I still see it available in several places. It's pelikan so it matches your pen if you're into that. I'm going through a sample right now, and it's good, much more true than Aventurine that leans blue a lot.

I love Iroshizuku but their greens leave a lot to be desired imo. Chiku Rin is absolutely gorgeous but I cannot recommend it as a staple green because it's so light, definitely try it, or get the smaller bottle because it's an awesome ink, but if you need something to reliably write every day in a variety of situations... hmmm no. Shin Ryoku is already too blue for me but might work for you.

Herbin (who makes Lierre Sauvage) also makes Vert Empire which I absolutely adore. It's a lot less saturated, but slightly darkes and dusty... makes me think of oxide of chromium green.

For more formal settings: Noodler's Zhivago, added bonus of being bulletproof (iirc), or Iroshizuku Hoteison, another limited edition sadly, very dark... the best aprroximation of a green-black if you ask me.

Diamine: Green Black is much lighter and greener than Hoteison, and it's about 10 times less expensive. Sherwood Green is a true green, a tad darker than Lierre Sauvage. Emerald leans slightly yellow and is lighter but still perfectly readable in a fine nib.

Last but not least: Organics Studio James Joyce Hunter Green (yes, that mouthful). It tags along Hoteison, lagging a bit behind in blackness, but more vibrant.

Shameless plug: I did a comparison of 4 green inks (including Lierre Sauvage and Sherwood Green) just a few days ago. Feel free to peruse the subforum dedicated to ink comparisons and reviews, and good luck with your green!

#8 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 20:22

I'll add one that I think you might want to stay away from: Bad Belted Gator.  It's a nice color and I use it often, but only with dip pens as - at least with my pens - it leaves a hard stain to remove.

#9 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 20:53

Two places I window shop for hues are Mountain of Ink and Goulet Pens, both of which have menus that let you select only one color category of their inks (goulet sells ink, M of I is just a blog). After jotting down some ideas I hit the FPN ink review section. 

Pelikans are typically wet writers so any ink in one is going to show more on the dark side of what it is capable of. 

My current greens are Diamine Sherwood, what I would call a deep forest green, Sailor Tokiwa-matsu, brownish olive, Birmingham Pens Southside Park Fern Moss, a grayed slate green, and R & K Alt-gold-grun, an unusual spring green with olive tones, hard to describe.  I have lots of teals, too. Love teal.

You will probably need to experiment if you haven't written much with green inks. I found I just hated bright green, and only liked greens that are "to one side" -- either brownish or blackish or grayish or blueish. 

#10 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 20:59

For my Pelikans I usually use:

Pelikan 4001 Dark Green

Pelikan Edelstein Olivine

Montblanc Irish Green

#11 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 21:15

Hi,

Diamine Evergreen is what I would call a true green.

Not warm like Diamine Classic Green, not cold like Diamine Green-Black, not blueish like Diamine Dark Forest or even Pelikan 4001 Dark green.

Evergreen is a very nice dark green. If a tad more blue is fine for you, Akkerman Dou's Emerald Groen is great, too. And it comes in the legendary bottle...

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#12 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 22:01

Diamine Sherwood seems to be popping up a lot so I think I'm gonna give Diamine Sherwood a go. 

#13 corniche

corniche

He Is Risen

• Member - Gold

• 2,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 23:16

Diamine Sherwood seems to be popping up a lot so I think I'm gonna give Diamine Sherwood a go. 

Diamine Sherwood is always a safe bet; just don't use it when you write to a newspaper editor. ;)

https://en.wiktionar...een-ink_brigade

Sean :D
I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, although he be dead, shall live: And every one that liveth, and believeth in me, shall not die for ever. Believest thou this? - JN 11:25-26

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

#14 Vunter

Vunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 23:17

Diamine Sherwood is always a safe bet; just don't use it when you write to a newspaper editor. ;)

https://en.wiktionar...een-ink_brigade

Sean :D

Maybe it's because I live under a rock, but I didn't even know this was a thing lol.

#15 aurore

aurore

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 23:38

MB Irish Green

#16 MKeith

MKeith

"A man's got to know his limitations"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 23:39

My favorites are:

MontBlanc Irish Green

Diamine Umber

Noodlers Forest Green

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

#17 DonM

DonM

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 00:50

I like Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green the best in my M600 green stripe.

#18 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:59

Herbin (who makes Lierre Sauvage) also makes Vert Empire which I absolutely adore. It's a lot less saturated, but slightly darkes and dusty... makes me think of oxide of chromium green.

Diamine: Green Black is much lighter and greener than Hoteison, and it's about 10 times less expensive. Sherwood Green is a true green, a tad darker than Lierre Sauvage. Emerald leans slightly yellow and is lighter but still perfectly readable in a fine nib.

A lot of nice suggestions here, but I agree the 2 mentioned here are quite nice and are among my personal favorites.  They are very different.  Vert Empire is obviously less saturated, but I love its muted quality.  In a wet pen Diamine Green Black seems almost black. Of course, not exactly a true green.

#19 Sholom

Sholom

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:41

My personal favorite is Noodlers Green Marine, but if that leans too teal have a look at Noodlers [no special name] Green or the Forest Green mentioned earlier. R&K Verdura if you want a bright green. Monteverde Green for more subdued but not dull.

#20 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,364 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:10

J Herbin Lierre Sauvage
Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine
Montblanc Irish Green
Kaweco Palm Green
Visconti Green