The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodler's Triple Tail

noodlers triple tail

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 timotheap

timotheap

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:30

Well that's a big pen - demonstrator for now. I don't like demonstrators but this pen would use up a lot of ink, and being able to see the ink level means less unscrewing the barrel to check and so mayber greater longevity...?

Flex

Quite stiff - stiffer than my Ahab, although that's something that can change quite quickly. On thing I found with Noodler's pens: give them time. Yet I can get decent line variation for sketching for example, simply because of the way I hold it makes "no pressure lines" finer, and "some pressure lines" ok. 

In the picture below, the hatching shows from reverse writing to good pressure. 

The oyster-like doodle on the write shows it requires no effort to thicken the line on downstrokes, when in "sketching position" (higher angle than writing angle, looser grip).

20200130_130552.jpg

Skipping / railroading

Railroading - nothing worrying and of course it's brand new, we'll see what happens after a good night spent inked up. 

Skipping: some, when doing quick strokes held at "writing angle" with no pressure. None, if at a high angle, which I find ideal for loose sketching. None, at writing angle with normal writing. Again, that's probably my nib - and maybe not enough flushing.

Nib 

I wanted the Triple Tail because in one of Nathan's videos it looked like it had a lot more flex than the Neponset, and also being the latest iteration of his music nib I thought it was taking the best bet. 

The nib is smooth, and writes a good medium line with normal pressure - very much like a few Jinhao nibs I have, maybe even a bit thinner. 

It looks like this nib is sensitive to angle - I guess it makes sense, with three tines that have to make contact with the paper. 

20200130_130609.jpg

20200130_130536.jpg

Conclusion

I expected it to be unruly, hard to control but not at all and I can definitely see myself getting more comfortable - remember I've just had it, I simply couldn't help myself telling this forum.... The more I doodle with it, the more responsive it gets, and it's a rather unique pen. 

I hope this helped a little bit those who wonder about the Triple Tail... I'll be happy to give more info if I can - 

Sorry for the quality of the pictures - not much  I can do given how much I hate taking pictures but hopefully it will give you an idea of what's going on...

Timo

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 13:02

I picked one up and have a fairly different experience. Maybe these nibs are a spotty as the Neponset's - none of which were bad, but the degree of expression varied fairly wildly. 

I essentially picked it up for the wetness of the nib and to have a pen that I could stick shimmer inks like Herbin into that can easily be stripped down for a thorough cleaning if required. I also like the idea that it can be used as an eyedropper - although I haven't done that yet. The nib on mine is smooth, but not greatly so. It's sadly very stiff and requires a very high degree of force to get any line variation at all. It's also so wet that the line tends to be the same no matter what level of force is applied. But, that said, I didn't actually buy it for the line variation and to be honest I don't expect a lot of that from Noodler's pens anymore. My opinion on the pen is that it's very comfortable, a nice weight, nicely balanced when posted, but pretty ugly. I suspect it will be the last Nooder's pen I own. 

#3 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 16:04

I really want one of these. The nib is really amazing - I tried one out at Philly and was told that it is Noodler's best pen yet. It feels nice, the nib is cool, it's a demonstrator, and it doesn't smell like Ahabs - a bonus! Thanks for the review - very informative and helpful. I would definitely eyedropper mine.

#4 timotheap

timotheap

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 17:41

My opinion on the pen is that it's very comfortable, a nice weight, nicely balanced when posted, but pretty ugly. I suspect it will be the last Nooder's pen I own. 

It's possible I got lucky - or am more easily entertained. It's also possible you got unlucky, or expected too much. But I understand the feeling, and truth be told, it's not clear yet whether I'll have a great use for this pen - but there's hope: I find the heft of if (or the girth?) very pleasant and something about it really calls for sketching rather than writing. And of course I suspect its three-tine nib makes it worth whatever could be improved less important to me. 

I really want one of these. The nib is really amazing - I tried one out at Philly and was told that it is Noodler's best pen yet. It feels nice, the nib is cool, it's a demonstrator, and it doesn't smell like Ahabs - a bonus! Thanks for the review - very informative and helpful. I would definitely eyedropper mine.

Thank you - wow, eyedropper, really? mmm I'll consider that when I've put it to really good, intensive use, and have stopped wondering what this or that ink would look like, laid by that funny nib. 

#5 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:31

I bought an ebonite Neponset - that'll do me.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#6 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 14:25

Nice review thanks, and glad you're enjoying your new pen. I'm happy with mine, but I can't really use it as a daily writer. Unflexed the line is a BB and so wet that you don't lay down a line of ink, but a noodle of it, 1mm thick. Very problematic on any paper: if it doesnt soak through 3 sheets, it'll take a few minutes to dry. Sadly this is a problem I have with all Noodler's pens: they are too wet. The tripletail though has the best flex response by far. The tines aren't as sharp are the Creaper's or Konrad's so you can push down without cutting into the paper, and the force necessary to spread the nib is much less as well. I've also noticed that writing with a very light pressure not only doesn't relieve the flood of ink going out, but makes the nib very prone to skipping the first stroke, especially on the smoothest papers. Overall it's a nice toy, but much less a useful pen.

#7 timotheap

timotheap

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 20:11

Nice review thanks, and glad you're enjoying your new pen. I'm happy with mine, but I can't really use it as a daily writer. Unflexed the line is a BB and so wet that you don't lay down a line of ink, but a noodle of it, 1mm thick. Very problematic on any paper: if it doesnt soak through 3 sheets, it'll take a few minutes to dry. Sadly this is a problem I have with all Noodler's pens: they are too wet. The tripletail though has the best flex response by far. The tines aren't as sharp are the Creaper's or Konrad's so you can push down without cutting into the paper, and the force necessary to spread the nib is much less as well. I've also noticed that writing with a very light pressure not only doesn't relieve the flood of ink going out, but makes the nib very prone to skipping the first stroke, especially on the smoothest papers. Overall it's a nice toy, but much less a useful pen.

I find that glassy papers (like Clairefontaine and maybe Rhodia) are not always great for Noodler's flex nibs if one wants to actually flex - and I can't help but remember that Tardif himself doesn't believe in that "luxury" paper. On just a little bit more absorbent paper, there is simply NO railroading (for me anyway). I'm still trying to get used to the Triple Tail - frankly mine sounds stiffer than yours (sounds dirty, lucky I'm not a man - Ahab and Dixie #10 both really pleasant to use) - and NOT using Clairefontaine makes it work better for me. And after all I mostly got it for sketching, and I would never sketch on glassy smooth paper. 

I'll still work at it because otherwise, if I change the nib, I simply got myself a very expensive Ahab... for more than the price of two. Still, I showed it to some kids and they loved the looks of it. And so as not to be left out, they all got their kiddy fountain pens out. 

Added: in my sketchbook, I get crazy thickness, no railroading, and it draws ink out nicely even with a lighter touch. 

Added: yeah, definitely not a daily writer for me - I have a rather small handwriting

Edited by timotheap, 31 January 2020 - 20:17.

#8 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 20:47

Yep smooth paper is the worst. I've never had railroading, just hard starts and skipping if the nib loses contact with the paper, but as you said, and I have experienced the same, a somewhat rougher paper surface completely fixes it.

Mr Tardif's beliefs are very peculiar and one may share them or not, but I like my pens and inks to works with as many combinations of ink/paper/pen as possible: if his beliefs somehow carry over to his product to the point of them being unsuitable, or less suitable, for the uses he "doesn't believe in" but I want them to... he will be getting less of my money I guess.

#9 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 23:27

I got to try a Triple Tail at the Commonwealth Pen Show in September.  I was impressed by the nib and the amount of flex.  But I'm not a big fan of demonstrators.  

If Noodler's comes out with some that are in acrylic (or better yet, ebonite) I would definitely be in the market for one, though....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#10 timotheap

timotheap

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2020 - 15:16

So maybe I was unlucky ... I talked myself into getting the demonstrator because of the ink level, and now it's ok, I'm not in love with the looks of it, but it's growing on me. And kids  find it super cool. 

#11 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2020 - 22:22

If any of you should feel the need to lessen their demonstrator burden, I'll be more than happy to give those rejects a warm and loving home. I LOVE demos :)

#12 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:33

I will like to buy a triple tail but I will wait until they are available in colours. 

#13 timotheap

timotheap

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:21

If any of you should feel the need to lessen their demonstrator burden, I'll be more than happy to give those rejects a warm and loving home. I LOVE demos :)

Well - I'll try to make mine work for me, still feel the sting of the price. I've ordered some Brause Rose nibs and see what it does, but then again I could've put a Brause nib on an Ahab as well. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, triple tail

Sponsored Content

|