The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Esterbrook Length Of Bodies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:36

Hi all. I’m interested in gathering more Esterbrooks. I’m finding mine is very functional for note taking a meetings. My SJ is very small, and I’d like something about the size of a Pelican 250 in length.

So *i think* I’m looking for a J or a transition or something the forum may suggest. Once I’ve been led in the right direction I’ll probably search on fleabay or something.

Many Thanks.

-Bill

Sponsored Content

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 19:17

Check the measurements here:
http://www.richardsp.../profiles/j.htm

#3 melissa59

melissa59

Lots to Learn

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 20:15

Hi all. I’m interested in gathering more Esterbrooks. I’m finding mine is very functional for note taking a meetings. My SJ is very small, and I’d like something about the size of a Pelican 250 in length.

So *i think* I’m looking for a J or a transition or something the forum may suggest. Once I’ve been led in the right direction I’ll probably search on fleabay or something.

Many Thanks.

-Bill

Bill, I think a J or transitional J will suit you fine.

I don't own a Pelikan 250 but I *think* it is the same size as the M200 and M400.

I have a J, a transitional J and a Pelikan M400. They are almost identical in size, both length and girth, when capped. (5 inches)

However, uncapped, the Pelikan pen (barrel & nib only) is about 1/4-inch longer than the J or transitional pen body.

I don't own an LJ or SJ but it is my understanding that the LJ is the same length as the J (5 inches), but it is narrower in girth.

And the SJ is same narrower girth as the LJ but is shorter, coming in at 4 3/4 inches, making it the smallest of the J series.

It is hard to tell the difference when shopping eBay unless the seller shows plenty of photos and/or gives the measurements.
The transitional is easy. It's flat on the bottom. It may have a plain or ribbed jewel on the cap.

The full-size J has a larger jewel on the cap than on the pen barrel.
The LJ has a small jewels on both cap and barrel.

I found a video that might show you better than I can explain:

Edited by melissa59, 28 January 2020 - 20:15.

"You have to be willing to be very, very bad in this business if you're ever to be good. Only if you stand ready to make mistakes today can you hope to move ahead tomorrow."
Dwight V. Swain, author of Techniques of the Selling Writer.

#4 Estycollector

Estycollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 23:36

Looks like the full size J and Deluxe are the longest beside the Lamy Al-Star

Attached Images

• Pens.jpg

#5 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 15:04

Thanks @melissa59. You’re correct. Sounds like the J is the ticket. Now to find one. Not many right now on BST.  

-W

Sponsored Content

|