The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Something New! Community Ink Reviews: Waterman Serenity Blue

community ink review waterman blue serenity ink

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 corniche

corniche

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:17

Take Two:
fpn_1580696117__20200202_211311.jpg
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

CatholicsComeHome

Sponsored Content

#42 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:29

fpn_1580707724__img_5970_adj.jpg

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#43 corniche

corniche

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 22:30

Hi 5,

Nice pic. Thanks for the Noihvo-inspired handwritten response.

You're welcome, but the lighting is poor, so I don't know how helpful it'll be, but the Quink is a little darker and more purple, but it's something usually only the human eye can perceive. In many pics/scans, they'll look identical.
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

CatholicsComeHome

#44 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:04

Our esteemed moderators have deemed this thread should be under Co-Razy-Views.  My apologies for the initial confusion.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#45 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,942 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:20

Our esteemed moderators have deemed this thread should be under Co-Razy-Views.  My apologies for the initial confusion.  

This placement makes sense to me, especially given the phenomenon you've noted, that comments on postings in the Ink Reviews section are more likely to offer kudos to the original poster than to offer a range of perspectives on an ink.  

#46 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 3,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:59

I figured out how I held my phone to get it upside down, then oriented the phone the opposite way. You have to hold it sideways, or where it is widest (in photo speak Landscape). When I take photos holding the phone in what would be Portrait mode, my photos post here on their sides.

Part of the problem is that, while your camera may capture information about orientation and record it in the digital image file's metadata, browsers using Webkit in OS_X (i.e. on "Mac" computers) don't seem to respect that for embedded images, even though Safari and Chrome browsers on the (also Apple) iPad, as well as browsers on machines running Windows, don't have a problem rendering the embedded image in the indicated orientation.

My apologies for the initial confusion.

I was just trying an experiment._...‹snip›...My hope is that anyone could post a Community Review and that everyone would feel comfortable to add their comments - preferably hand-written comments using the ink in question.

No worries. I'll admit — perhaps it's because I'm dense, or because I'm artless with words, or both — I don't quite understand the distinction you were trying to make there from other Co-Razy-View threads, other than, "The price of entry for adding to this thread (and other threads of the same nature, for different inks) is a photo of handwriting in the ink in question, while comments about the ink in typed characters are optional/secondary," without, well, expressly dictating to others how you want to thread to be run. If that's the nub of it, personally I'd have preferred that you stated it upfront and point-blank, so that those who struggle to read between the lines, either because English isn't their mother tongue (and it isn't mine) or because they have trouble grasping nuances in interpersonal communication (as I do), just so it's easier for me to understand and hence not be inadvertently disruptive.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#47 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,920 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:55

I like the color that WSB comes out of the pen initially, but then it dries too light for me. So I prefer Pelikan 4001 RB, even though it is a bit drier.

#48 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:23

Part of the problem is that, while your camera may capture information about orientation and record it in the digital image file's metadata, browsers using Webkit in OS_X (i.e. on "Mac" computers) don't seem to respect that for embedded images, even though Safari and Chrome browsers on the (also Apple) iPad, as well as browsers on machines running Windows, don't have a problem rendering the embedded image in the indicated orientation.

No worries. I'll admit — perhaps it's because I'm dense, or because I'm artless with words, or both — I don't quite understand the distinction you were trying to make there from other Co-Razy-View threads, other than, "The price of entry for adding to this thread (and other threads of the same nature, for different inks) is a photo of handwriting in the ink in question, while comments about the ink in typed characters are optional/secondary," without, well, expressly dictating to others how you want to thread to be run. If that's the nub of it, personally I'd have preferred that you stated it upfront and point-blank, so that those who struggle to read between the lines, either because English isn't their mother tongue (and it isn't mine) or because they have trouble grasping nuances in interpersonal communication (as I do), just so it's easier for me to understand and hence not be inadvertently disruptive.

Thank you so much for your comments.  

First, please understand that I originally posted this thread in Inky Thoughts because I was not sure where it should go.  After I contacted the moderators, we discussed it and it was decided that the this thread should be in Co-Razy-Views.  

Also, understand that this was just an idea . . . an experiment.  My hope is that others would join in, as they have done, giving their thoughts and ideas - whether as photos of handwritten entries or other.  My thought was to just see where this led.  

I apologize if I have not communicated effectively for you.  

#49 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,165 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:51

Let's finally, once and for all, get together in solidarity and just refuse to call Waterman Florida Blue by its new name.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#50 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• 3,926 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 14:24

Hello early responders,

I really like this idea, and it seems a little easier than the original Co-Razy reviews, which I participated in but dropped out because it got a little too much trouble...

Your discussion of Waterman Serenity/Florida blue prompted a search of my ink hoard, and I managed to turn up one single, old, half filled bottle of Waterman Florida blue. And a ton of Quink blues which I did know I have and occasionally use - I do like what was at some point called Quink permanent blue. The washable, not so much but I doctor it with a little red, purple, or sometimes even black, to give it more presence. But the Waterman... I am going to have to find a new bottle! I do have two bottles of purple, and four new intense black, which is also a very nice black. So thanks for starting this. I promise once I have the Florida blue in a pen again I will actually contribute something.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#51 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 22:46

Hello early responders,

I really like this idea, and it seems a little easier than the original Co-Razy reviews, which I participated in but dropped out because it got a little too much trouble...

Your discussion of Waterman Serenity/Florida blue prompted a search of my ink hoard, and I managed to turn up one single, old, half filled bottle of Waterman Florida blue. And a ton of Quink blues which I did know I have and occasionally use - I do like what was at some point called Quink permanent blue. The washable, not so much but I doctor it with a little red, purple, or sometimes even black, to give it more presence. But the Waterman... I am going to have to find a new bottle! I do have two bottles of purple, and four new intense black, which is also a very nice black. So thanks for starting this. I promise once I have the Florida blue in a pen again I will actually contribute something.

Thank you so much!  

#52 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• 3,926 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:56

And now it has gone further. Stepped by my B&M store and ordered two new Waterman Florida blue (the shop owner also still calls it that), plus we're hoping to add a turquoise as well. This is the same person who had all those vintage Quink (with Solv-X) boxes that I got a few years ago... Now the wait begins.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#53 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 19:07

Sorry for the confusion.

For many years long before Mike and I became moderators, the rules stated that Ink Reviews were only 1 reviewer and 1 ink.  That is the hard and fast rule that we have continued to agree to. Everything else went into comparisons and tests.  

CRVs are a special section for anything that is NOT a traditional 1 person 1 ink review. We were asked to keep these out of Inky Thoughts because these are historically photo heavy and slow to load. So IT is the larger forum and you can certainly link from there but people on slow connections or located in specific regions (China) have had trouble when the pictures were hosted off site.

So, when comparing and contrasting inks and more than one person is adding pictures, place it here, please. 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#54 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 20:17

Sorry for the confusion.

For many years long before Mike and I became moderators, the rules stated that Ink Reviews were only 1 reviewer and 1 ink.  That is the hard and fast rule that we have continued to agree to. Everything else went into comparisons and tests.  

CRVs are a special section for anything that is NOT a traditional 1 person 1 ink review. We were asked to keep these out of Inky Thoughts because these are historically photo heavy and slow to load. So IT is the larger forum and you can certainly link from there but people on slow connections or located in specific regions (China) have had trouble when the pictures were hosted off site.

So, when comparing and contrasting inks and more than one person is adding pictures, place it here, please. 

No worries!  Thank you for clarifying this!  

#55 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,818 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 minutes ago

I don't recall the paper and pen(nib) I used, but discovered recently that Serenity Blue actually has a red sheen with the right combination.

Found it.
Paper: Clairefontaine Neo Deco A5 notebook
Pen: Parker Vacumatic Emerald Pearl OM nib. It's really wet and very wide.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: community ink review, waterman, blue serenity, ink

Sponsored Content

|