24 Pen Leather Pen Case, How To Store?

Vunter

I just bought a 24 leather pen case. I put all my pens in the case, most are inked up and then laid the case flat in my desk drawer. Everything was fine except one of My TWSBI Eco's leaked almost entirely into the cap. My other Eco didn't leak at all so I thought maybe the nib and feed weren't seated all the way. It seemed to be seated fine.

Anyways I have since positioned the case my desk so that case is upright in such a way that the pens are sitting vertical with cap facing up. From here on out I wont be storing the case horizontally in fear of another leak. None of my other pens leaked so I'm assuming it was just an issue with the one pen, but I'm curious if this is a common thing with pen cases when stored horizontally?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vunter

• carlos.q

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting problem. I haven't encountered this situation as the only pens that I store in a (p)leather case are fully cleaned before storage. All my inked pens lie around my desk or in a cup beside my computer.

Edited by carlos.q

I'm with Carlos.q -- I have a bunch of inexpensive 24 pen cases (I get them at the local Rockler's store, although the last time I had to have them order me one). And those are for the pens not in rotation. For carrying inked pens around I have smaller pouches and containers, including a really nice 12 pen Girologio leather zipper case, and a 7 pen crocheted wrap made for me in a gift exchange a few years ago. But I'm mostly only using the the wrap and the 12-pen case when I'm traveling for more than a few days, or going to a pen show (in which case I have both pens I'm going to be using for the weekend, pens that need repairs of some variety, or empty pens to try out any inks I buy.

The 24 pen cases, because the pens are not inked up, can lie flat, stacked up on a bookshelf. Eventually I want to turn the antique 2 drawer spool case I bought in Virginia last summer into more permanent storage, once I get it cleaned up and put flocked plastic trays into the drawers. At that point, the Rockler cases will likely find a new home.

Here in the house, pens that *are* inked up live in a metal canister (originally held hot chocolate mix in it) on the bookshelf next to the bed; and those pens go nib up. If I'm using pens at home, I will often stick the current ones in an outside pocket of my purse, or in one of the smaller 2 or 3 pen cases in my purse, or the pen might get clipped to my neckline.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

... I'm curious if this is a common thing with pen cases when stored horizontally?

Not that I'm aware. My wife and I have easily over 170 fountain pens that are almost invariably stored lying on their sides in pen display cases and leather carry cases (which sit widest surface area side down), and they aren't any more prone to ink getting onto the inside of the cap than those stored standing on the ends of their barrels inside pen cups, in our experience.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

No, I don't think that is common. It must mean you have a leak in that TWSBI.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

I have 48, 36, 24, and 12 pen cases -- but they are only used to store UNINKED pens.

Inked pens go into 2/3/4 slot pocket cases (or 5 slot rolls) which sit out where I can get to them.

The last pens to seep where my Sheaffer Legacy King's Gold, and my Waterman Carene -- in both cases I suspect part of the problem is that I hadn't left enough air space in the reservoir, and the ink expanded, compounded with carrying the case in a cargo pocket on my pants, so they were bounced around a bit by merely walking around.

All of my inked pens are stored horizontally. I've found for me that for me they work better that way. Some stored vertically dry out that don't have as much issue when horizontally.

Interesting problem. I haven't encountered this situation as the only pens that I store in a (p)leather case are fully cleaned before storage. All my inked pens lie around my desk or in a cup beside my computer.

I'm with Carlos.q -- I have a bunch of inexpensive 24 pen cases (I get them at the local Rockler's store, although the last time I had to have them order me one). And those are for the pens not in rotation. For carrying inked pens around I have smaller pouches and containers, including a really nice 12 pen Girologio leather zipper case, and a 7 pen crocheted wrap made for me in a gift exchange a few years ago.

I have 48, 36, 24, and 12 pen cases -- but they are only used to store UNINKED pens.

Inked pens go into 2/3/4 slot pocket cases (or 5 slot rolls) which sit out where I can get to them.

The last pens to seep where my Sheaffer Legacy King's Gold, and my Waterman Carene -- in both cases I suspect part of the problem is that I hadn't left enough air space in the reservoir, and the ink expanded, compounded with carrying the case in a cargo pocket on my pants, so they were bounced around a bit by merely walking around.

I store all my pens even if they are inked in a pen case, because i don't like to leave my pens laying around on my desk. I have a nock case that I was using, but much prefer the Girologio pen case I just got. Considering all my other pens didn't leak and had no issue when the case was laying on the widest surface I'm going to assume my assumption was correct that it was just the one pen.

I have about 20 pens and I have them all inked up because I'm still learning what inks I like, what pens I like, and what nibs I like. Over the last few years I'm slowly learning what I like. So as I learn what pens I prefer I'm slowly taking pens out of rotation that I don't prefer over others. Sounds like for the most part it doesn't matter how the pens when inked are positioned from a leaking stand point.

I was more or less just curious if it was common for pens to leak when laid flat. The nib and feed are seated pretty snug in my eco so not really sure what else would cause that much ink to leak in the cap. About 2/3 of ink leaked into the cap. Maybe I have a hairline crack?

Totally separate issue, but after using many of pens I don't reach for my eco's much anymore. I'm actually thinking about giving my eco's to my sister-in-law and getting a 580.