The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which Brand Do You Enjoy The Most And Trust Blindly?

trust brand reliable favorite

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#81 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 19:47

maybe during the pen show?

The Delta Stantuffo model is by far my absolute favorite brand and model.  Unfortunately, I can't add to the collection unless they come up on the secondary market.

Sponsored Content

#82 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:13

Pelikan. Not an original answer, I know. But I trust them enough, especially the older models, and they are more enjoyable to me than other trustworthy pens - Lamy, Sailor, Pilot.
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#83 ingolf

ingolf

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:05

The Delta Stantuffo model is by far my absolute favorite brand and model.  Unfortunately, I can't add to the collection unless they come up on the secondary market.

I fully agree, the Delta pens were wonderful. But why waiting for a secondary market? As for me Leonardo is some kind of phoenix of Delta´s soul. Currently I own 2 "Momento Zero" and 1 "Furore". All beautiful and excellent writing pens and steel nibs that let you forget about gold nibs  :rolleyes: .

Therefore ... my favourite brand is Leonardo (& Cleo Skribent).

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

#84 Orval

Orval

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:19

Brands I trust blindly: Conid, Pilot, Aurora

Pens enjoying most: Conid minimalistica (ergonomic grip), Omas 360 (ergonomic grip), Pilot VP (as EDC) 

Orval

#85 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 15:35

For blind trust: Pilot. I just expect a new Pilot to work out of the box, and haven't been disappointed yet.

I can't say I have the same expectations for any other brand. I've got precious little experience though, so what do I know?

Not sure I'd want to be restricted to using only Pilot the rest of my life though. I do love my Pelikans...

#86 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 21:06

trust blindly: none

#87 ncpenfan

ncpenfan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:48

Cross townsends

#88 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:59

Another vote for Pelikan, I'm afraid. I've had repair issues, flow problems, or just sheer cussedness with every other brand in my collection. To be fair, they're also some of the most expensive pens in I own, so take that for what it's worth. I've only used the M200, M300, M/K/D400, M620, M/K/D800 and M1000 models, but they're just good solid workhorses that don't take a lot of effort to work well.

The Pilot Parallels are probably the best cheap pens in my collection and are one of the only $10-15 Calligraphy pens that can keep up with adequate ink flow, even for their massive 6mm nib. Sadly, they don't hold much ink, but I keep them around for my sparkly inks as they're extremely easy to pull apart and clean.

The Montblanc 146s hold a bit more ink, but the one time I sent one in for repair it was pricey and a bit of a disappointment.

The Bexley factory stubs are delightful, but three of my five pens are now in for repairs. Sad as the Sherherazade is just about the perfect weight, size, and shape for me. Plus, they're pretty.

The Sheaffer factory stubs are also very pleasing to use, but don't hold as much ink as the Pelikans and again have needed repairs.

My Namiki Falcons have all been modified to flexible fines. The nibs are wonderful to write with, but I'm sick of having to constantly open them up to push enough ink thru to the nib.

Anything with a sac/bladder/whatever you call it needs more TLC then I am willing to give. I don't know if it's their age or my ink choices, but I've had very mixed luck with them.

#89 Jebus

Jebus

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:41

Definately going for Conid. Outstanding quality and just wonderfull tools.

I have a regular streamline and a kingsize CAISO and never had any issues.

I have visited their facility twice and it's great to see they have developed a side business in fountain pens on top of their regular activities (Conid is the "pen part" of Komec - a component manufacturer and machine builder).

Currently they are experiencing a back log so they have decided to temporarly hold orders untill May 2020. Some people are offended by the lack of communication but back in the days I have made my purchases I have never encountered any communicational issues. I think they are currently the victim of their own succes and I'm sure they are doing the best to overcome the issues.

I will certainly buy from them again as the pens are truly on the verge of perfection! Highly recommended.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

#90 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 18:39

i have transformed my parallel into an eyedropper and now has alot of ink

Another vote for Pelikan, I'm afraid. I've had repair issues, flow problems, or just sheer cussedness with every other brand in my collection. To be fair, they're also some of the most expensive pens in I own, so take that for what it's worth. I've only used the M200, M300, M/K/D400, M620, M/K/D800 and M1000 models, but they're just good solid workhorses that don't take a lot of effort to work well.

The Pilot Parallels are probably the best cheap pens in my collection and are one of the only $10-15 Calligraphy pens that can keep up with adequate ink flow, even for their massive 6mm nib. Sadly, they don't hold much ink, but I keep them around for my sparkly inks as they're extremely easy to pull apart and clean.

The Montblanc 146s hold a bit more ink, but the one time I sent one in for repair it was pricey and a bit of a disappointment.

The Bexley factory stubs are delightful, but three of my five pens are now in for repairs. Sad as the Sherherazade is just about the perfect weight, size, and shape for me. Plus, they're pretty.

The Sheaffer factory stubs are also very pleasing to use, but don't hold as much ink as the Pelikans and again have needed repairs.

My Namiki Falcons have all been modified to flexible fines. The nibs are wonderful to write with, but I'm sick of having to constantly open them up to push enough ink thru to the nib.

Anything with a sac/bladder/whatever you call it needs more TLC then I am willing to give. I don't know if it's their age or my ink choices, but I've had very mixed luck with them.

#91 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 19:18

i have transformed my parallel into an eyedropper and now has alot of ink

That's tempting, but my one eyedropper experiment ended poorly. Do you do anything special to prevent leaks? Thanks.

#92 The-Thinker

The-Thinker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 19:29

That's tempting, but my one eyedropper experiment ended poorly. Do you do anything special to prevent leaks? Thanks.

I don't have a remedy from leaking due to the cracking of the barrel. Other than that i have found a way to minimize leaking due to the section which connects the body ( the threads part ) by inserting a small O ring that i found on Ali-Express, in addition i apply silicon grease on the threads before screwing. The O ring helped in creating a seal that is squishy and blocks the ink from seeping out, the silicon helped in preventing ink from progressing in the threads. 

#93 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 20:27

Japanese Big 3:  Pilot, Sailor, Platinum.

#94 FlyFast

FlyFast

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 21:54

That’s easy, Pilot.

I have two 823s, a fine and a custom ground cursive italic that started as a broad. These are my two favorite pens.

i have four Vanishing Points. Two are the old plastic faceted bodies and two are the current design. I don’t really use the old ones anymore. I use the new ones daily because of their practicality. I have fine, medium, and stub nibs for them. One of these with a fine nib is my everyday carry. I also tend to use these when I travel. They are my most used pens.

#95 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,419 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:06

Sailor.
Too many pens; too little writing.

#96 Jadie

Jadie

Picky Pen Princess

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 14:02

Pilot without question, I've never been disappointed by their pens. Always smooth and writes well out of the box, both at high prices and simple Preppys, applies to their fountain pens and regular ol' gel pens. I love their width and breadth of designs and adore their Iroshizuku line of inks, so they've got me covered 100%

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

#97 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 22:40

Pilot without question, I've never been disappointed by their pens. Always smooth and writes well out of the box, both at high prices and simple Preppys,

Preppy pens are manufactured and sold by Platinum Pen, not Pilot Pen. Did you mean the Pilot V_Pen instead?

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#98 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• 1,619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 22:57

wow that is impressive ! by toledo you mean the pelikan ?

Probably not, rather the vintage made in Toledo, Ohio BHR Conklins.

#99 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 23:16

Which Brand Do You Enjoy The Most And Trust Blindly?

If you are (God Forbid) about to choose one fountain pen brand that you enjoy the most and would stick to for the the rest of your life to use, which brand would it be, which pen/s exactly and why so? share your experience with the brand and how many pens do you own from them!

Personally...I do not do things without reasoning or mindlessly i.e doin' things blindly.....Now if I was 

in a foxhole at a airport and being shelled night and day.....I would use a pencil.....and rest always in me camies and boots.....

Now if it was on a desert island and  can only bring one pen with one color ink...Different ball game.......

Fred

#100 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 22:27

I would suggest the same pens as well! I have been considering buying a FPR pen, specially that they are getting really popular these days! what is it about pelikans that makes you wanna come back to them (ps my first ever fountain pen was a pelikan m200)

FPR has really, really good customer service.  Kevin reaches out to nearly everyone who leaves a negative review, and he's always been quick to respond to my emails, and to try to solve any issues I've had.

As for Pelikans, more than anything, I think it's that my blue swirl derby-capped M200 was the first (post-university) pen I had that I really liked.  This did not come easy; I swapped nibs with the fine folks at Pelikan SRW (before Chartpak got the US distributorship) at least a half-dozen times before I got the one I have now.  But once I got one that I liked, I found that I REALLY liked it.  I also like the pen's light weight, relatively short length, and can tolerate its girth (in fact, it sets the minimum for acceptable girth for me).  If I found a pen with the same length, the same reliability, a similar nib, a similar section profile, similarly light weight, and +1mm in diameter, I would be all over that like a cheap suit.

My aqua demonstrator M205, a Christmas gift from my beloved and lovely wife (and her mother, and her son, and her mother's boyfriend) was an absolute delight with Iro Ku-Jaku (another gift from her, from a couple years prior, that actually disappointed me when I got it, can you imagine?), right out of the box.  It has been continuously inked since then, and is the pen I grab when I want to leave her a billet-doux.

I may, at some point, seek out a steel M200 F nib for my M400, and might do the same if I were ever to get an M600.  But these two steel-nibbed Pelikans are my all-time favorite pens right now, and for the forseeable future.  I was originally going to say that they have never balked on me, but then I thought back and recalled the problems I'd had with the M200 for a decent while after I bought it.  But I think those might have just been misalignment.  I don't remember flow issues, just disliking the toothiness.  But it has been over twenty years.

@sail1942:  Most of FPR's piston pens are clutchless for easy, no-tools disassembly.  I think a fair number of Noodler's pens can likewise be fully disassembled.

I've seen a lot of mentions of Lamy.  I don't like their triangular sections, or their chrome-plated sections, or their rubber-covered sections, and that eliminates an awful lot of the lineup.  I think the CP-1 is too slender.  The Logo might be okay; my wife has one, and it's her favorite FP, but I see the chrome finish flaking off the plastic barrel finial and say to myself, "Not for me."  Maybe if I get one with a black barrel finial.  Or a 2000.  Since my grip changed, I find my tolerance for tapered, conical sections has increased quite a bit, as well as that for the L2K's cap retention spring.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trust, brand, reliable, favorite

Sponsored Content

|