The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Manyo Inks - 5 Samplings

sailor manyo ink haha nekoyanagi sumire yonagi akebi

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:09

Sailor Manyo Inks are a line of inks inspired by flowers written about in the ancient Manyoshu poetic compilations.  I recently obtained 5 of the 8 inks.  I am hoping to obtain the last three in the near future.  Shown below is a quick writing sample illustrating the colors.

inks.jpg?w=739

fpn_1580012585__5_inks_2mp.jpg

fpn_1580012570__writing_sample_adj_2mp.j

Excerpt written from "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis

Paper:  Seven Seas Crossfield Notebook with Tomoe River 52gsm paper

Pens (in order as written above): 

Haha:  Italix Captain's Commission with stub nib

Nekoyanagi:  Pilot Metropolitan with 1.0 stub nib

Sumire:  Lamy Studio with medium nib

Yonagi:  Conklin Duragraph with 1.1 stub nib

Akebi:  Lamy Aion with medium nib

fpn_1580012607__writing_sample_haha_clos

Sailor Manyo Haha ^

fpn_1580012621__nekoyanagi_closeup_adj.j

Sailor Manyo Nekoyanagi ^

fpn_1580013400__sumire_closeup_adj.jpg

Sailor Manyo Sumire ^

fpn_1580013417__yonagi_closeup_adj.jpg

Sailor Manyo Yonagi ^

fpn_1580013428__akebi_writing_sample_adj

Sailor Manyo Akebi ^

While Haha and Nekoyanagi have the wonderful multi-color shading, Sumire, Yonagi and Akebi have strong sheening abilities.  Sumire has a lovely red sheen with some nice shading.  Yonagi has a strong pinkish burgundy sheen and also shades nicely.  Akebi has a strong yellowish-green sheen that is clearly evident on every paper I have used the ink on.  Akebi also shades somewhat.  

Each of the inks behave very well in all the pens that I have tried them in.  Overall, I am enjoying these inks and look forward to getting the others.

Edited by 5Cavaliers, 26 January 2020 - 05:13.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

Sponsored Content

#2 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:42

~ 5Cavaliers:

Your Sailor Manyo Inks Comparison is most appreciated.

Using an excerpt from The Screwtape Letters is a wonderful touch.

Seeing all of the inks side-by-side, and in different nibs, offers several ways of assessing them.

Thank you for your care in preparing this helpful post.

Tom K.

#3 yazeh

yazeh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:36

Lovely review... 

Haha reminds me of one the Troublemaker' s Abalone.....Lovely....

Akebi seems to one of the most original and lovely...

#4 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,763 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 13:03

Excellent writing samples - thank you for taking the time to post.

I think my favourite is Akebi, it reminds me very much of two Sailor-made inks that I really enjoy using: Sankodo Tokugawa en botan and Joyful-2 Idaho Magenta. I think I’ll have to try a bottle.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#5 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 15:05

Very nicely done, thanks for doing this :) My faves are Haha and Nekoyanagi, and among those not in your comparison, I'd love to see how Kuzu compares to Oku Yama and similar inks.

#6 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 18:38

~ 5Cavaliers:

Your Sailor Manyo Inks Comparison is most appreciated.

Using an excerpt from The Screwtape Letters is a wonderful touch.

Seeing all of the inks side-by-side, and in different nibs, offers several ways of assessing them.

Thank you for your care in preparing this helpful post.

Tom K.

Thank you!  They are very nice inks.  

And C. S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors.  I love his keen sense of irony.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#7 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 18:39

Lovely review... 

Haha reminds me of one the Troublemaker' s Abalone.....Lovely....

Akebi seems to one of the most original and lovely...

Haha is similar to Abalone, but different.  I like them both in different ways.  

Interestingly, Akebi is my least favorite so far, but of course I haven't been using it for very long.  It will probably grow on me.  

#8 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 18:42

Excellent writing samples - thank you for taking the time to post.

I think my favourite is Akebi, it reminds me very much of two Sailor-made inks that I really enjoy using: Sankodo Tokugawa en botan and Joyful-2 Idaho Magenta. I think I’ll have to try a bottle.

Thank you for your kind remark.  I have tried either of those.  Truthfully, I have used a few Sailor Jentle inks and were not terribly impressed.  I first purchased two of the Sailor Manyo inks on a whim because I saw an ink review of Haha and really liked it.  After trying them for a couple of weeks, I decided to purchase another three and fell in love with them.  I have now purchased the last three because I love the way the ink behaves.  The colors are lovely, but what has sold me on the inks is their behavior.  I also love the shading.  

#9 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 18:45

Very nicely done, thanks for doing this :) My faves are Haha and Nekoyanagi, and among those not in your comparison, I'd love to see how Kuzu compares to Oku Yama and similar inks.

Thank you so much for your comments.  I haven't received Kuzu yet, but they should arrive shortly.  I don't have Oku Yama, nor many other Sailor inks.  While I have used a few of the Sailor Jentle inks, I was not impressed with Sailor inks until I purchased Haha and Nekoyanagi.  Then when the next three arrived (above), I fell in love with the ink behavior (smooth, slightly lubricated, etc).  The last three are on their way.  

#10 yazeh

yazeh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 19:36

Haha is similar to Abalone, but different.  I like them both in different ways.  

Interestingly, Akebi is my least favorite so far, but of course I haven't been using it for very long.  It will probably grow on me.  

Akebi reminds me of Diamine's Communication Breakdown. I'm sure you it'll grow on you  :)

#11 Lam1

Lam1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2020 - 20:56

Wonderful review. Thank you for posting.

I was wondering when we would see reviews of these.

I have 4 of them, but only tried 2 so far (Sumire & Akebi).

They did seem a little dry to me. Did you have the same impression?

#12 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 00:44

fpn_1580085798__haha_from_ipad_2.jpg

fpn_1579414378__abstract_2mp.jpg

#13 yazeh

yazeh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:36

Simply lovely, thank you.... :)

#14 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:45

Wonderful review. Thank you for posting.

I was wondering when we would see reviews of these.

I have 4 of them, but only tried 2 so far (Sumire & Akebi).

They did seem a little dry to me. Did you have the same impression?

Hi Lam1 - Thank you for your kind words.  I am planning to do reviews on all of the Sailor Manyo inks in the future.  I think they are great inks.  

I have my Lamy Studio inked up with Sumire right now.  This is a wet pen, but I don't detect that the ink is dry at all.  I will put it one of my dryer pens and see how it works out.   I have my Lamy Aion inked up with Akebi.  This pen is fairly moderate but again I don't notice that Akebi is dry in this pen.  But again, I will put it into another pen to see how it behaves. But thank you so much for your comments.  

#15 Lam1

Lam1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:25

Hi Lam1 - Thank you for your kind words.  I am planning to do reviews on all of the Sailor Manyo inks in the future.  I think they are great inks.  

I have my Lamy Studio inked up with Sumire right now.  This is a wet pen, but I don't detect that the ink is dry at all.  I will put it one of my dryer pens and see how it works out.   I have my Lamy Aion inked up with Akebi.  This pen is fairly moderate but again I don't notice that Akebi is dry in this pen.  But again, I will put it into another pen to see how it behaves. But thank you so much for your comments.  

I double checked and the ones I tried and found dry were Kikyou and Akebi. The Kikyou is in my KoP and I tried it agin today: it makes it feel like writing with sand. The Akebi was in my Sonnet and, while a little dry, it didn't feel bad. But your post inspired me to try the Kuzu, which I put in a S. T. Dupont and seems pretty wet, just the way I like. Maybe the other two just didn't agree with the pens. I'll try them in different pens.

#16 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 20:15

I double checked and the ones I tried and found dry were Kikyou and Akebi. The Kikyou is in my KoP and I tried it agin today: it makes it feel like writing with sand. The Akebi was in my Sonnet and, while a little dry, it didn't feel bad. But your post inspired me to try the Kuzu, which I put in a S. T. Dupont and seems pretty wet, just the way I like. Maybe the other two just didn't agree with the pens. I'll try them in different pens.

Thank you for your comments.  I haven't tried Kikyou or Kuzu.  Both of those should arrive soon.  

#17 sanphoemo

sanphoemo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 21:24

I am so....
Just ordered Haha and Nekoyanagi.

Can't wait to get them because they just look gorgeous.Bought ink.....again....

#18 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 04:09

I am so....
Just ordered Haha and Nekoyanagi.

Can't wait to get them because they just look gorgeous.Bought ink.....again....

I know how you feel.  I have bought a lot of ink this year and it is only January.   :gaah:

#19 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 20:16

I hadn’t heard of these inks before, and they look simply lovely. Thank you so much for this comparison! I haven’t explored Sailor inks yet, but they certainly deserve a closer look. I’ve read lots of positive things about them on FPN. Might be a good brand to explore in 2020.

#20 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 20:48

Oh man I discovered Sailor inks with my last few sample hauls, and they are so good it's terrible (for my pockets ofc)... be warned!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, manyo, ink, haha, nekoyanagi, sumire, yonagi, akebi

Sponsored Content

|