The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Meisterstuck Nikolai I Rollerball

help montblanc malachite nikolai identify rollerball vintage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 monsieurblanc

monsieurblanc

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:32

hi all

bought this pen some 20 years ago in singapore at montblanc boutique and no longer have the box and tags. i've tried to get help identifying and getting the specs but cannot get much other than some contradictory info online. montblanc hasnt been very helpful, unfortunately.

does anyone know about this pen? any info and/or background on this pen would be greatly appreciated. 

thx and cheers!

Attached Images

• e.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 roadrunner320

roadrunner320

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:36

Yes, I know this pen, but decided to go with Ramses II.

What you like to know about this pen?

#3 monsieurblanc

monsieurblanc

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 13:19

thanks for your reply. what i would like to know is exactly what this pen is classified as: is it a legrande or a solitaire? what montblanc model number is it (162, 165, etc.) what is montblanc's official desgnation/description? is the nib or any other part gold or gold plated? is it classified as a rollerball or a ballpoint? i understand this info is quite basic but there is so much contradictory info and misnaming/mis-describing on the web that I now question even those basics.

your feedback and assistance to clear things up would be greatly appreciated.

thx and regards

#4 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 17:42

The pen is a Czar Nikolai I Vermeil Rollerball.

The model number is 22162, this model is based off of the Meisterstuck 162 "Le Grand" Rollerball.

The model number is 22163, this model is based off the Meisterstuck 163 Rollerball.

The Czar Nikolai series consisted of a large fountain pen (146-size piston filler), small fountain pen (144-size cartridge/converter filler), extra-small fountain pen (114 "Mozart"-size cartridge filler), ballpoint, rollerball and pencil models, in vermeil (gold plated over silver) and platinum plated over brass.

You have a very nice pen!

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

#5 monsieurblanc

monsieurblanc

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:05

thx so much for sharing your knowledge and insight, kalessin. greatly appreciated. might i ask if you have an idea what the present day value of this particular vintage pen is? a best guesstimate?

cheers! 

#6 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,386 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 18:41

You're welcome!

The best indicator of current value would be completed auctions and sales on eBay (and similar completed sales on other sites).

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

#7 monsieurblanc

monsieurblanc

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 20:50

understood. thx again for your kind assistance.

cheers!

#8 gordeeal

gordeeal

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 22:48

I am not sure that is the Le Grand size. That looks to me to be the classique size (163) roller ball, which is the smaller of the two. Value depends on the condition but I would say approximately $700-1000 is a fair value.

#9 aurore

aurore

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:59

I am not sure that is the Le Grand size. That looks to me to be the classique size (163) roller ball, which is the smaller of the two. Value depends on the condition but I would say approximately $700-1000 is a fair value.

Indeed it is not LeGrand.
LeGrand version also existed, but was bigger and had a screw-on cap.

#10 monsieurblanc

monsieurblanc

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 14:51

thx for the feedback. difficult to know for sure which info is more accurate but all is helpful.

cheers

#11 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,386 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 21:25

You are quite right!  I updated the model number in my first reply on this thread.

I find it interesting that Montblanc released such a wide variety of Meisterstuck sizes and writing modes (fountain pen, rollerball, pencil, ballpoint) in this design, probably because of very strong sales.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, montblanc, malachite, nikolai, identify, rollerball, vintage

Sponsored Content

|