• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• corniche

• ENewton

• Mercian

Hi The Thinker,

For modern pens:

Probably my gold-nibbed Pelikans; my 600s are much wetter than my 200s. But the 600s with Medium/broad nibs are faucets.

For Vintage:

The Parker 51s and 45s.

YMMV.

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hi The Thinker,

For modern pens:

Probably my gold-nibbed Pelikans; my 600s are much wetter than my 200s. But the 600s with Medium/broad nibs are faucets.

For Vintage:

The Parker 51s and 45s.

YMMV.

i have heard that pelikans are really wet, but some say visconti is even wetter, do you love broad nibs ?

Pelikan M1000 in a Medium with a cursive italic is pretty wet. But I think the wettest would have to be a 1941 Parker Striped Duofold, aka DuoVac, with a medium nib and an ebonite feed. Both put down a lot of ink, but ounce-for-ounce, the DuoVac wins. I run iron gall inks through both of them and the result is superb! :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

i have heard that pelikans are really wet, but some say visconti is even wetter, do you love broad nibs ?

I do enjoy broader nibs. Broads for signatures and wide mediums for letters, notes and grading.

Visconti can be hit and miss; they run fairly wet if you get a good nib, but you don't always get one. But I've also had problems with BROAD STEEL nibs by Pelikan.

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Pelikan M1000 in a Medium with a cursive italic is pretty wet. But I think the wettest would have to be a 1941 Parker Striped Duofold, aka DuoVac, with a medium nib and an ebonite feed. Both put down a lot of ink, but ounce-for-ounce, the DuoVac wins. I run iron gall inks through both of them and the result is superb! :)

is the parker DuoVac a vintage pen, i am not so familiar with parker pens sorry :(

I do enjoy broader nibs. Broads for signatures and wide mediums for letters, notes and grading.

Visconti can be hit and miss; they run fairly wet if you get a good nib, but you don't always get one. But I've also had problems with BROAD STEEL nibs by Pelikan.

I had problems with pelikan steel nibs too, that is why i decided to try a gold nib and see how it writes, it performed amazing!

The replacement 3 slit ebonite feed from flex nib factory turns my Pilot 823 into a firehose, so much so that it's basically unusable.

is the parker DuoVac a vintage pen, i am not so familiar with parker pens sorry :(

Yes. It is from the first production year, 1941. :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

My vintage Parkers (51, Duofold Junior, and Victory) are all wet despite having fine nibs. Most of my purple inks look black coming out of my Parkers.

My Platinum medium points are quite wet.

I expected my Pelikan 140 to be wet, but it is relatively dry in my hand.

Noodler's Ahab.

Hi TSherbs,

Would you recommend the Ahab?

Any of my pens which has a badly adjusted feed.

Any of my pens that the slit on the nib is adjusted wrong.

As for typically wet, flex Waterman 12s, 42s,52s, Red Keyhole Waterman Nibs, Flex Eversharp Skylines, and adjustable sliding block Wahl Nibs.

I am not impressed with the wetness of a stock Noodler Ahab, it railroads too easilly. Those with upgraded aftermarket feeds are much wetter.

This is so not my area of ‘expertise’, but...

I mainly use ‘Fine’ nibs (because my handwriting is small and scrawly :( ), with the nominally broadest nibs that I own being on some Parker & LAMY pens that have ‘Medium’ nibs.

I own a Pelikan M205 with a ‘Fine’ nib. These are supposed to be ‘wet-writing’, but I wouldn’t describe it as ‘very wet’. Then again, I typically ink it with i-g inks or Pelikan inks, so I may well be wrong about that.

I also have a Parker “51” whose worn-out nib I had replaced with an NOS ‘Fine’, and asked to have tuned to be ‘wet’. Both the M205 & the “51” put down fine, wet lines (which is what I like).

The wettest pen/nib/feed that I own - by far - is a Pelikan P480 ‘Pelikano’ whose nib is marked ‘Fine’.

I have two of them, and each is as ‘gushy’ as the other. Even with Pelikan 4001 ‘Brilliant Black’, which a lot of people think of as a fairly ‘dry’ ink.

I might try inking one with R&K Salix next, or even Scabiosa, to see whether the iron-gall ink can ‘tame’ it a bit.

Though if I were in the mood to take advantage of the pens’ generous flow, I might fill one with some Pelikan Edelstein Topaz, in order to show off that ink’s lovely cerulean blue colour and its propensity to show ‘shading’ :)

Given that my two P480s are both marked ‘Fine’, I do wonder how broad & wet the ‘Medium’ nibbed ones are :o

Edited by Mercian

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I had problems with pelikan steel nibs too, that is why i decided to try a gold nib and see how it writes, it performed amazing!

👍

The replacement 3 slit ebonite feed from flex nib factory turns my Pilot 823 into a firehose, so much so that it's basically unusable.

is ordering the ebonite feed worth it?

TWSBI 700r with 1.1 nib. Inked are over saturated out of it and appear darker then with other pens.

is the nib in particular the reason for the wetness ?

Noodler's Ahab

Hi TSherbs,

Would you recommend the Ahab?

i have heard that the Ahab is a gusher if you don't heat set the feed :P i have heard people joke about it