What Are Some Notable Vintage Ballpoints?

eharriett

So, no offense taken...lol. My HS Latin teacher always corrected us ending a sentence with a preposition. Someone would ask where is something at and she would respond, "between A and Z on preposition avenue".....LOL!!

You are correct! I usually catch those, even to the point of creating awkward sounding sentences, but I surely missed this one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zookie

• eharriett

• sansenri

• Estycollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, no offense taken...lol. My HS Latin teacher always corrected us ending a sentence with a preposition. Someone would ask where is something at and she would respond, "between A and Z on preposition avenue".....LOL!!

You can always just tack on a noun:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/24rqbl/a_visitor_to_harvard_asks_a_professor/

I'm not a ballpoint person. I use fountain pens or rollerballs depending on the task.

If I *were* a ballpoint person this pen would interest me as I already have its fountain pen older brother:

fpn_1599368717__parker_75_laque_heritage

Parker 75 Custom Laque - any idea what cartridge it takes?

I'm not a ballpoint person. I use fountain pens or rollerballs depending on the task.

If I *were* a ballpoint person this pen would interest me as I already have its fountain pen older brother:

fpn_1599368717__parker_75_laque_heritage

Parker 75 Custom Laque - any idea what cartridge it takes?

Any standard G2 (AKA Parker style).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the 1958 Paper Mate Capri Mark III is about the coolest ballpoint ever. The Deluxe as mentioned came out in 51, but they started designing it in 49. Schneider refills fit the Deluxe. I have an Eversharp Fifth Avenue from the 40s, I use bic crystal refills in it.

I still use one of these I used in college in the 1960s, and it has the same Paper Mate refill. I use for the grocery list. Over 50 years of use. Same blue refill.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

I have recently become obsessed with Ballpoint/Pencil sets, spurred by my discovery of some classic Paper Mates. I don't know if the slim Profile counts as vintage, but I have three sets of those (stainless, black/gold, and gold), with a pen and pencil in brown on the way. The price for Profile sets can get pretty high - this brown pen and pencil cost me about $62 total - but the sets I found on ebay were around $75-85. 

One great set I have is the Malibu. They're cheaper than the Profile, since all plastic. But they feel just as good in the hand. 

Last Paper Mate I have is a BP/MP set of the Capri 3, in green and silver. That's another set I had to buy in two pieces, but they're a perfect match. And considering they're probably early 60s vintage, they're in gorgeous condition. 

The Paper Mates are not as fun to click as my Jotters, and refills are a little trickier to get ahold of compared to Parker format. But I think I like using them better than my Parkers. 

Here's my Paper Mate sets, along with a Parker. (Capri III, Profile, Profile, Profile, Malibu, Parker 25)3APD1WS.thumb.jpeg.cac4f6fe4879da12bd716bff0b2aa49b.jpeg

In the box above, are Parker 45, Jotter, and Targa sets - all stainless or brushed steel. I need a matte black Targa set next, probably. 

Here are some highlights of my multicolor ballpoint pen collection:

50690801406_eec20da712_c.jpg

From left to right:

• Fend Truxa 4 colors (early 1950ies) Currently my oldest multicolor ballpoint pen.
  • Fend Truxa 6 colors (mid 1950ies to early 1960ies) This is what I dreamt of as a highschool student.
  • Lamy 2000 4 colors (1970ies - 1980ies) This is what In used as an engineering student in college.
  • Fend Vision 4 colors (early 2000s) This is my EDC pen today. It features a very low center of gravity, allowing me to write very quickly and effortlessly.

BTW, all these pens use type D1 refills which are still widely available in Germany in the usual red, green, blue and black colors. Other oddball colors are available from the US-based Monteverde company.

Edited by Billiestylo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 4:02 AM, NumberSix said:

I have recently become obsessed with Ballpoint/Pencil sets, spurred by my discovery of some classic Paper Mates. I don't know if the slim Profile counts as vintage, but I have three sets of those (stainless, black/gold, and gold), with a pen and pencil in brown on the way. The price for Profile sets can get pretty high - this brown pen and pencil cost me about $62 total - but the sets I found on ebay were around $75-85. 

One great set I have is the Malibu. They're cheaper than the Profile, since all plastic. But they feel just as good in the hand. 

Last Paper Mate I have is a BP/MP set of the Capri 3, in green and silver. That's another set I had to buy in two pieces, but they're a perfect match. And considering they're probably early 60s vintage, they're in gorgeous condition. 

The Paper Mates are not as fun to click as my Jotters, and refills are a little trickier to get ahold of compared to Parker format. But I think I like using them better than my Parkers. 

Here's my Paper Mate sets, along with a Parker. (Capri III, Profile, Profile, Profile, Malibu, Parker 25)3APD1WS.thumb.jpeg.cac4f6fe4879da12bd716bff0b2aa49b.jpeg

In the box above, are Parker 45, Jotter, and Targa sets - all stainless or brushed steel. I need a matte black Targa set next, probably. 

I love my Papermates! They are iffy as far as NOS refills go, but Schmidt Express 225 refills are easily available. My favorite is a Capri III that I have in a coral color.

4 minutes ago, Zookie said:

I love my Papermates! They are iffy as far as NOS refills go, but Schmidt Express 225 refills are easily available. My favorite is a Capri III that I have in a coral color.

Coral? *drools*

I did get some 225 refills. So far, though, most of the Paper Mates I have bought on ebay had working refills in them. I didn't expect that. It really is a nice blue, too. Makes me consider paying the exorbitant prices for some NOS lubriglide refills. Of course, one hopes they will not be dried out after paying $15 a piece for them. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/8/2020 at 1:51 AM, Billiestylo said:
  • Fend Truxa 4 colors (early 1950ies) Currently my oldest multicolor ballpoint pen.
  • Fend Truxa 6 colors (mid 1950ies to early 1960ies) This is what I dreamt of as a highschool student.
  • Lamy 2000 4 colors (1970ies - 1980ies) This is what In used as an engineering student in college.
  • Fend Vision 4 colors (early 2000s) This is my EDC pen today. It features a very low center of gravity, allowing me to write very quickly and effortlessly.

BTW, all these pens use type D1 refills which are still widely available in Germany in the usual red, green, blue and black colors. Other oddball colors are available from the US-based Monteverde company.

Hi Billiestylo, I was admiring your 'multis' collection. Congratulations on a fine looking group. Thank you for sharing them with us.

It reminded me that I still haven't found a refill for my 'Fend' single colour ballpoint. It is possibly a similar age to the your Lamy 2000. Is it possible to buy refills for a 70's-80's Fend brushed metal ballpoint?                                                           Thank you, Gary

1420244866.jpg

πTom

On 1/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, Gaudi95 said:

It reminded me that I still haven't found a refill for my 'Fend' single colour ballpoint. It is possibly a similar age to the your Lamy 2000. Is it possible to buy refills for a 70's-80's Fend brushed metal ballpoint?                                                           Thank you, Gary

1420244866.jpg

The Lamy is a multicolor ballpoint pen. It uses four type "D1" refills that are 67mm long and have a diameter of 2,3mm. It would be very unusual if such refills would be used in a single-color pen. My hunch is that these pens use longer, larger volume refills. I don't have any single-color pens in my collection, so I'm sorry I cannot help.

Oh wait - your photo suggests that your pen contains a refill. Can you post a picture and give us the dimensions of that refill? As soon as the lockdown in Germany is lifted (probably not before end of February) I could look in one of our stationery stores which offer refills even for some older German pen brands. Alternatively, I could post your info in the Germen Penexchange forum and ask other members for help.

Hi Billiestylo, first can I say I really like your name. It has a certain rock star quality sound to it.

Secondly I am quite excited by the possibility of a 'FEND' refill.

So I took some pics..

Thank you for your kind offer of help. I hope this information leads to a discovery.

Let me know if you wish to see more details but any comments you have will be most welcome.

I have tried a couple of Schneider refills with no luck.

Best wishes to you in Covid lockdown. I hope you stay well.

Kind wishes, Gary

DSC00039.thumb.JPG.01a6f87a28e858b93c8b1af86b7ad742.JPGDSC00031.thumb.JPG.44832fa554a821ce6cf53cad26f3739a.JPGDSC00036.thumb.JPG.9392e7d0970d2351cf299f3f25518965.JPGDSC00038.thumb.JPG.20470d80db81781cdb663de45caec375.JPGDSC00035.thumb.JPG.004ca8ac9455221573de3145f34fa610.JPGDSC00032.thumb.JPG.84a317c90d252745bf47ac7cefcf732d.JPG

πTom

Hi Gary,

apparently, this pen uses refills with the general dimensions of Schneider refills, but without the pinched ridge.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelschreiber#/media/Datei:Ball_point_pen_refills_de.png

The refill format you need to look for is A2 (just like Schneider); there's a fairly rare alternative to the Schneider refills:

The Schmitt 700M (https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/SM16201/schmidt-700m-ballpoint-pen-refill) These refills have a ring-shaped ridge instead of the pinched one, and the ring is at a distance of 34mm from the tip (several mm closer to the tip than on the Schneider refills).

I have a much older Fend two-color ballpoint pen that uses these refills. I hope that this could solve your problem. I have not found any refills without any ridges (as your photos suggest).

Edited by Billiestylo
corrected some info

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2020 at 11:12 AM, Stephen2020 said:

I think the 1958 Paper Mate Capri Mark III is about the coolest ballpoint ever. The Deluxe as mentioned came out in 51, but they started designing it in 49. Schneider refills fit the Deluxe. I have an Eversharp Fifth Avenue from the 40s, I use bic crystal refills in it.

Are you sure about those dates?  IU think they are 1960s pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I was really happy when I received a 3-D Printed part to make my old Esterbrook desk ballpoint work.  Then I must have lost it.  Not sure what happened.  I might have given it away.

While mostly using fountain Parker pens, for some occasions when a ballpoint pen needed I always have a Parker Classic Fligher with me.

And I find it the most reliable ballpoint pen I ever used or tried.

To be fair, it is almost the same as Jotter with just a few minor differences.

All the best is only beginning now...