Waterman Intense Black Vs. Parker Quink Black

bokaba

I am looking for a good all around black that behaves well. I am considering Parker Quink Black and Waterman Intense Black. Which do you prefer?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• bokaba

• tamiya

• silverlifter

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of only those two; I prefer the Quink, it's a darker black with better lubrication.

Sean :)

Edited by corniche

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hard to tell much difference between Quink & Waterman, both work fine. I'd say my Waterman is a bit darker than Quink... Quink is a bit red.

Pelikan 4001 Black is drier & greyer.

Visconti Black is nice too, but for the price might as well just stick with Waterman.

Recently obtained Monteverde Midnight Black, behaves well & boldly dark. Currently like it better than Quink or Waterman but could just be honeymoon phase.

The Quink is noticeably darker than Waterman's; I'd post writing samples, but I haven't had any luck posting images here. :(

But at the end of the day, it's basically six of one and a half dozen of the other as far as reliability goes.

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

From what Ive heard Parker reformulated some of their inks in 2018, so they may have made it darker like they did with blue black.

The only experience I have with Waterman Intense Black was recent -- it was in the Parker 51 Vac I bought at the Ohio Pen Show last fall so the pen could be tested.

I used to use Quink Black as a tester ink for new-to-me pens, but stopped doing that (in favor of also trying all the different samples I had). Plus, there are black inks I like better -- Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black (although I don't use it much, it does behave well in my Pelikans with italic or oblique nibs), Noodler's Heart of Darkness (if I need water resistance) and Iroshizuku Take-sumi (not overly waterproof, or the blackest black, but there is just something about that ink that makes me all weak in the knees about how it looks on paper -- an almost 3 dimensional quality to it).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just picked up a 30 mL bottle of Herbin Perle Noir on sale locally. It seems like a very well behaved black ink, well lubricated but not very prone to feathering, and reasonably dark, only slightly lighter than the darker Noodler's blacks and very neutral (neither blue nor brown tendencies.) I have not tested its water resistance but I didn't buy it for that, in fact I wanted an ink that would be safe for vintage celluloid pen bodies and pens with ink sacs ( I have some doubts about the Noodler's "bulletproof" inks in that regard.)

Does Quink Black work well on cheap paper? Does it feather?

I use Quink Black ink.It depends entirely on the paper, recycled, softer fiber papers will feather more. It depends on the surface of the paper, sizing, coatings, lots of variables. I test paper all the time and test the last page of any notebook I'm using to see what doesn't work for that notebook. Edited by Studio97

From what Ive heard Parker reformulated some of their inks in 2018, so they may have made it darker like they did with blue black.

Hi Bokaba,

This is entirely possible.

Edited by corniche

Does Quink Black work well on cheap paper? Does it feather?

I haven't experienced much trouble, but if you're talking really bad paper, like the stuff in those 79 cent comp books; it probably will. I've even had rollerballs and gel pens feather and bleed through that kind of paper.