The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Eversharp Doric Cathay Crumbled End Barrel Successful Repair

eversharp wahl doric cathay crumbled repair

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hardy08

Hardy08

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:26

I wanted to share with you the repair of a a crumbled barrel end of a  gorgeous oversize Wahl Eversharp Doric in cathay color.

A soon as I get this pen (50$) I had the bad idea to push a little on the crumbled crown from the barrel end and boom, it broke up in pieces... Here is the initial state...DSC_0784.JPG  DSC_0783.JPG

I cleaned the end barrel removing all the crumbled celluloid.

I decided to rebuild the Barrel end crown using another broken doric cap in cathay color (junior size) (also crumbled at the end): here is this cap (yellow arrow shows instable cracks, I got it on ebay for 30$):p.jpg

I first removed all the "unhealthy celluloid" (broken or crumbled parts) from the broken doric cap. I then used sand paper to remove the discolored superficial layer of the cap. Here is what remained of the cap:DSC_0782.JPG

Then the barrel was split in half using a fine jeweler's saw and sawn the splited barrel in "tiles" of the width of the barrel end: here are the tiles: 

Sans titre.png

Then the tiles were flattened and glued together using acetone welding. You must immerge a short time each tiles in acetone to allow them to soften. The tiles are then ready to be assembled two by two by pressing them against each other. On the left of the picture you can see tiles already assembled and on the right a fresh one ready to be soaked in acetone and welded to the other ones.

DSC_0786.JPG

You then get a kind of celluloid dice formed by successive acetone welded layers: DSC_0790.JPG

And now the hardest part!: you have to wait for 3 months to allow the dice to dry (to shrink).

It's now time to acetone weld the dice onto the end barrel:

DSC_0791.JPG

Then the crown is sculpted, sanded it down to the 12 lateral facets of the doric barrel with rough sand paper. To guide you and to avoid damaging the lateral facets of the barrel you have to protect each facet with a piece of metal taped with double sided scotch tape onto the barrel facet:

2.jpg

Here is the rough result on the left (without fine sanding) and with fine sanding on the right (up to 5000 grit sandpaper):

Sanded.jpg

When you have finished with sculpting the 12 lateral facets it's time to sculpt the crown (end side). You have to sand it using a metallic guide taped with regular tape on the lateral facets:

3.jpg

After finishing and sanding using Micromesh (grit 8000/12000) here is the result:

4.jpg

The pen after a year of use didn't show any signs of crumbling, there was no celluloid shrinkage either:

DSC_0829.JPG

Edited by Hardy08, 21 January 2020 - 12:51.

Sponsored Content

#2 hersheybearsgoalie2

hersheybearsgoalie2

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2020 - 13:55

Wow! Great repair!

#3 Hardy08

Hardy08

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 16:26

Thank you !
Hope this helps !!

#4 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:23

:yikes:  :notworthy1:  :thumbup:

#5 Paul-in-SF

Paul-in-SF

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:35

That's an impressive amount of work, but clearly worth it in the end for such a beautiful pen. Congratulations!

#6 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,273 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:35

That really is an excellent job, and nice that you found such a good match to the original celluloid.

I have a pen I want to repair the same way, but have no idea where to get a donor part with the same celluloid.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#7 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:03

Impressing and clever repair approach, congratulations Hardy !

Francis 

#8 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 13:24

Fantastic work!

#9 cunim

cunim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 14:31

You know, you could offer this as a commercial service.  Lot of Doric rot out there.

#10 como

como

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 15:35

Nice work! Thank you for sharing. 

#11 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2020 - 16:07

Great  job!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#12 Hardy08

Hardy08

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 17:49

Thank you very much for your comments:
@ cunin: Yes, a lot of those doric, especialy in lightest colors like cathay, tend to rot... But offering a repair service is impossible because it is even harder to find a source of matching celluloid for the repair. I was lucky to find a broken cap with the matching color for this one.
Thanks again !

#13 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:17

Excellent thread - very instructive! Thank you!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My Instagram account --> link

#14 Hardy08

Hardy08

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 18:35

Thank you siamackz ! Hope this helps !

#15 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,011 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2020 - 20:25

Fantastic repair. I stand amazed by your skills and patience.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#16 Hardy08

Hardy08

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:16

Thank you amk it took some time but now the pen is a true good daily writer !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eversharp, wahl, doric, cathay, crumbled, repair

Sponsored Content

|