Vintage 149 Ski Slope Restoration Advice

IvanChichikov

Recently received an old 149 that sat unused for nearly a decade at least. I would like to have someone repair and restore this pen. Ive already received one recommendation for Pentiques (heard great things), but I would like to see if there is anyone else I should check out as well.

post-156278-0-60783500-1579494961.jpeg

post-156278-0-21631300-1579494981.jpeg

post-156278-0-47767700-1579495005.jpeg

post-156278-0-21391100-1579495021.jpeg

post-156278-0-73214300-1579495034.jpeg

Edited by IvanChichikov

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IvanChichikov

• kazoolaw

• siamackz

• Michael R.

In the US Brad Torelli is the man. In Europe there are the big 4: Francis G., Tom W., Max S., and Osman S.

But what do you need done? Others may be more than capable.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

looks like the celluloid version given the corroded thin (silver) rings. This is a v valuable pen, I would send it to the best like Francis or Max(see Zaddick's list)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

For Europe I can fully agree with zaddick! Talk to all of them and see which suits „your style“ the best.

Wonderful pen!

What needs to be done?

Cheers

Michael

Thanks, everyone. Im the US, so would prefer to avoid shipping overseasbut not entirely against it.

I think it likely needs a full overhaul. Piston appears to be seized up in the barrel. Im hesitant to mess with it at all.

Edited by IvanChichikov

Thanks. I like the patina as well. This pen spent several long decades grading college exams and getting thrown into a shirt pocket next to a hot dunhill pipe.

Brad had done some magic on my celluloid 149. But I havent heard from him in a while - no responses to emails so I dont know if hes active? All the best with this lovely pen with lovely history!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Thanks, everyone. The pen started service with a young physics PhD in the naval research lab, assisting on developing the infrared sensor on the first gen sidewinder. It then pulled heavy duty service when the researcher became a professor to be nearer his family. Ink flowed liberally through the pen, as he taught for many decadesgrading tests and papers of his students and administering impromptu physics spelling quizzes for his grandkids and great grandkids. He treated his pens, milling machines and lathes the same way as his students: he didnt abuse them and respected them immensely, but no one got off easy.

Edited by IvanChichikov

Thank you for sharing the special story behind a special pen.

The time spent with family was no less important than the time spent in the naval research lab.

gary

Edited by gary

This pen has reached Brad and is awaiting his loving restoration. Very excited to see the results; now, I just need to be patient.

• 1 year later...

Brad sent me the pen back a couple months ago. I need to get pictures up, but he did an amazing job on the pen. Complete functional transformation of a paperweight into a wonderfully writing pen.