Ink To Match The Barrel Of Pelikan M400 White Tortoise

TitoThePencilPimp

What inks match the barrel of the Pelikan M400 White Tortoise Shell? I was considering Pilot Ina-Ho and R&K Alt-Goldgrün. I mainly use Rhodia paper and Campus Kokuyo paper for my fountain pen paper, and was worried that Alt-Goldgrün would be terrible on this paper. Any other choices from Sailor? Pelikan? etc..

The size of the pelikan nib is xf.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• TitoThePencilPimp

• BillH

• Uncial

I have seen a similar thread to yours. Alt Goldgrün was mentioned. You could consider an amber shade maybe. Ina-Ho would be a good choice.

I have a brown tortoise, and you can see the ink choice makes a difference in how the tortoise part looks. So have fun and try a variety of shades that you think would match.

Posted Image

I have the M600 White Tortoise and it has been permanently inked with Sailor Rikyu-Cha since I purchased it. It is easily one of my top 3 inks of all time. While it doesnt match one specific color on the White Tortoise, its murky green brown chameleon color pairs beautifully with the multitude of greens and browns in the pen body. Plus if the pen is wet enough, it produces such a nice sheen.

Edited by bstnnyc

I've always used Alt-Goldgrun in mine. Love that combination.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

In the same vein as Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün, I use KWZ Ink Green Gold in mine.

Any other choices from Sailor? Pelikan? etc..

Sailor has 100 ink colours in the Ink Studio line, 12 in the Kujukuri Coast line, 24 in the Shikiori line, and makes about 70 for Nagasawa's Kobe INK Story line. I'm sure there's something that fits the bill!

Personally I wouldn't mind putting Kujukuri Coast sudajimidori (すだ椎翠) and hamasichifukukin (浜七福金) in my M400 White-Tortoiseshell, but those Sailor inks aren't easy to come by.

How about Colorverse Dust Storm, Valles Marineris and Brane?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I regularly use KWZI El Dorado, Edelstein Olivine, and Aventurine. Right now I have Diamine Ancient Copper in it and have used Levenger Pomegranate as well. El Dorado and Olivine are the most common though.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Have used this image in a previous thread, but it's worth repeating here. :)

10842257564_741738594b_c.jpg

~ MalcolmH:

Terrific color!

Tom K.

I like the unique color of Alt-Goldgrun.

I could see using Edelstein Olivine...or considering the pen is a bit brown too, Smoky Quartz or Lie de Thee, might also go well.

Green inks, got 19...but for a stand alone*** subdued green shading ink DA Golf.

DA Moss Green is a spring moss color shading ink...on my good paper sample sheets I have it in an vintage (so half a with narrower than modern) on a Tropen EF nail. Looks bright and sprightly.

When one has too many inks, and one's pen cups are full of inked pens, I never got back to trying that ink on M or a B nib....said I was going to do that often....and like now got a full pen cup.

*** Like R&K Alt-Goldgrun, & DA Golf is a stand alone ink, in comparing either to other green-greenish inks don't quite work. Alone on a piece of good paper, like your Rhoda, they work just fine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Alt Gold Grun in my brand ew M400 White Tortoise with a B nib right out of the box and it was just too dry. I switched to Edelstine Olivine and it's now a joy to write with. Plus, I find Alt Gold Grun a bit light for everyday writing. The darker Olivine is much easier to read, plus it looks great on the blue pages of my diary.

I tried the Alt Gold Grun in my brand ew M400 White Tortoise with a B nib right out of the box and it was just too dry. I switched to Edelstine Olivine and it's now a joy to write with. Plus, I find Alt Gold Grun a bit light for everyday writing. The darker Olivine is much easier to read, plus it looks great on the blue pages of my diary.

Aww. I had a difference experience with Alt Gold Grun. I use an extra fine nib on my White Tortoise. A very smooth writing experience. This ink matches the Tortoise perfectly!.

Now a green ink that matches a pelikan m200 green marbled. I am tired of using Sailor Jentle Black in it for seven years.

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

Aww. I had a difference experience with Alt Gold Grun. I use an extra fine nib on my White Tortoise. A very smooth writing experience. This ink matches the Tortoise perfectly!

It’s a great shading ink that’s worked well in my other pens. Maybe I should have cleaned the new Pelikan first? I had that experience with my Noodlers Dixie. Used it once and hated it. Finally, put it back in rotation with Noodler's Blue Black three years later and it performed perfectly. Well, until I dropped it and it landed nib first. :(