A Review Of The Wahl Eversharp Decoband In Rosewood

sannidh

You are right, Chilton, Sheaffer Touchdown. Parker Vacumatic is a bit different.

I can see strong similarities between the Decoband’s filler, a Touchdown, and a Snorkel. I cannot see much similarity between the Decoband’s filler and a Vacumatic.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• como

• Blorgy

• gerigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could have sworn reading somewhere it is a silicone sack instead of rubber. I can't find that though so we shall see. Very happy with my celluloid Decoband and it is by far the largest pen i own at this point.

This was Syd's reply regarding the sac

Latex. Silicone too supple for this filling system. Maybe 10 years??? No presser bar...no mechanical contact happens to sac.

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

An oustanding pen which is greatly built :) :D Thanks for sharing the review

Thank you georges :)

Very pretty pen. It's been on my "list", but I haven't bought it yet.

It's one of its kind. My taste for the pen, expanded many months later after using it.

@sannidh - This was an absolutely fantastic review. I loved its thoroughness and lovely pictures. It was a real treat. Thanks for taking the time to put it together!

Just curious - when you said its "parts" prefer acidic inks...may I ask which parts? Is it more than just the sac? If so, I am assuming its the gold ring at the very end of the section that you dip into the ink during fill? I think you said some ink can get trapped between the section and that part which may lead to the potential of corrosion? I may be mistaken though.

Thank you CoolBreeze. Yes you are spot on, just the sac and the ring.

I just watched the Penhabit's review of this pen on youtube. OMG is he getting some flex out of this nib. I surprised you were not able to get more (or surprised at the difference really).

Question about packaging - were the lacquered boxes only an introductory thing? Curious if the pens retails for less now that the presentation boxes are phased out? Anyone know?

Edited by CoolBreeze

Hi, sannidh. I just reviewed your original review in this topic and the replies, etc. You provided us with a terrific and comprehensive review of this pen. Reading the further posts from you and others was quite helpful. At the 2019 Washington, D.C. Pen Show, I purchased from Sid at his Wahl-Eversharp booth, the Israel 70th Anniversary version of the pen. I haven't used it yet, as I think I want to preserve its value as an unused pen, but I could change my mind later. I agree with you and others that from a functionality point of view, an internal piston-fill system would be preferred, but that from a vintage-historical point of view, the Chilton pneumatic system makes sense. As to how one's writing looks with a highly flexible nib, such as this one, I believe (as you and others mentioned) that it all depends on how one writes with a pen. I prefer medium and broad nibs, along with stub nibs, but I don't really press down much when I write. I like it when a pen writes readily with little pressure and then gets a bit more saturated on paper with a little more pressure. But I'm not naturally a calligraphic writer. By the way, your handwriting is very nice and very legible, something I notice a lot with fellow FP fans.

Edited by donnweinberg

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the Penhabit's review of this pen on youtube. OMG is he getting some flex out of this nib. I surprised you were not able to get more (or surprised at the difference really).

Question about packaging - were the lacquered boxes only an introductory thing? Curious if the pens retails for less now that the presentation boxes are phased out? Anyone know?

Yes there is a great amount of flex Matt@penhabit has drawn out in the bottom of the page with the loops and brush strokes. When it comes to normal writing (with my own tolerance levels of pressure on the nib :) ), I would be in the top part of his page :)

The pen retails for the same if not more, is what I know of, along with the cardboard box.

Hi, sannidh. I just reviewed your original review in this topic and the replies, etc. You provided us with a terrific and comprehensive review of this pen. Reading the further posts from you and others was quite helpful. At the 2019 Washington, D.C. Pen Show, I purchased from Sid at his Wahl-Eversharp booth, the Israel 70th Anniversary version of the pen. I haven't used it yet, as I think I want to preserve its value as an unused pen, but I could change my mind later. I agree with you and others that from a functionality point of view, an internal piston-fill system would be preferred, but that from a vintage-historical point of view, the Chilton pneumatic system makes sense. As to how one's writing looks with a highly flexible nib, such as this one, I believe (as you and others mentioned) that it all depends on how one writes with a pen. I prefer medium and broad nibs, along with stub nibs, but I don't really press down much when I write. I like it when a pen writes readily with little pressure and then gets a bit more saturated on paper with a little more pressure. But I'm not naturally a calligraphic writer. By the way, your handwriting is very nice and very legible, something I notice a lot with fellow FP fans.

Thank you Donn for your feedback. The Israel one is actually quite sought after by some of my pen pals. I hope you use it someday :) . Completely agree with your feedback on the style of writing, I find that sometimes the Bock Ti#6 nib performs quite well during the course of normal writing.

I did talk to Syd about them, and they were discontinued due to excessive shipping costs incurred when the pens were shipped in them. The pens cost the same in the new packaging.

If you are interested in the wooden lacquered box, you can buy the decoband Israel which comes in a blue lacquer box.

I did talk to Syd about them, and they were discontinued due to excessive shipping costs incurred when the pens were shipped in them. The pens cost the same in the new packaging.

If you are interested in the wooden lacquered box, you can buy the decoband Israel which comes in a blue lacquer box.

Many thanks for following up!

How do the different Decoband models compare in terms of weight & balance based on the materials? I don't mean generally how does acrylic feel different from ebonite. I mean specifically how does an acrylic Decoband compare to an ebonite Decoband?

You can directly ask Syd at the website. He responds quite quickly. While I only have one pen, I would wager the weight difference is negligible because the internals are very heavy.

How do the different Decoband models compare in terms of weight & balance based on the materials? I don't mean generally how does acrylic feel different from ebonite. I mean specifically how does an acrylic Decoband compare to an ebonite Decoband?

• 2 weeks later...

With the brass internals, the material wouldn’t really matter. Even if it adds weight, it wouldn’t be noticeable. I only have ebonite and celluloid. Awaiting acrylic.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but wanted to find out if you find the brass rod of the filling system difficult to pull up and not smooth going back in? I just received my W-E Decoband today and was surprised how difficult the rod was to raise and lower. Not sure if I got a bad one or not. Plan on calling seller tomorrow.

@Leon_G I would say that it’s not normal to encounter too much resistance pulling the pneumatic plunger up and down. What type of resistance do you feel, the type due to physical contact or air pressure? Fat chance but did you check if the air hole in the end of the plunger is blocked somehow? Is the metal rod rusted, or lodged at a slight angle to prevent a straight pull, or diameter too close to inner barrel? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:24 AM, como said:

@Leon_G I would say that it’s not normal to encounter too much resistance pulling the pneumatic plunger up and down. What type of resistance do you feel, the type due to physical contact or air pressure? Fat chance but did you check if the air hole in the end of the plunger is blocked somehow? Is the metal rod rusted, or lodged at a slight angle to prevent a straight pull, or diameter too close to inner barrel? 

Sorry for the late response but I didn't see the notification. It was really tight, as though the plunger rod was not a straight pull. Put a dab of silicone grease on it which helped for a time or two of cycling the rod but it then began to stick again. Needless to say I returned the pen. Like the pen so may try another to see if I got a dud. 

• 2 years later...

I had observed a minor loss in the luster for the WE seal on the cap in 2018-19, but it was not so evident as it is now. Anyone having the same issue? @Wahlnut

image1.jpeg

• 1 month later...