How To Determine Fair Prices?

AustinRC

I am in a situation where I need to sell a couple of pens and a pen stand that I’ve had for a number of years that are, evidently, relatively rare. How does one go about figuring out what fair prices are? I would prefer to sell them here, rather than on eBay, because I’d like them to be appreciated. While I’d like to get a fair price, I don’t want to gouge anyone.

The pens in question are a Conway Stewart “Trafalgar” with a factory italic nib, complete in the original box with all the original pieces (blotter paper, ink, little book about Lord Nelson, and blotter made from wood from the HMS Victory), and a Montblanc Solitaire in sterling silver pinstripes in the 146 size with a fine nib. The pen stand is a Montblanc sterling and crystal stand for a 146 (which, oddly, doesn’t seem to like the threads of the Solitaire). The Trafalgar is in mint condition (the box has a couple of scratches on the lid), the pen stand needs a polish but is otherwise in excellent condition, and the solitaire has some minor signs of use but no major scratches, no dents, and no issues.

Ordinarily I’d look here in the marketplace for similar sales and on eBay, but I can’t find any recent (within the last three years) info on here, and the similar things on eBay (for the Montblanc things) are so wildly over the map as to be useless. The only Trafalgar item out there is from someone selling the box for it, empty, for $480, which seems ridiculous.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Austin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AustinRC

• Parker51

• zaddick

• alexwi

Ebay, unfortunately doesn't show sales history going back more than 2 months (they could if they wanted, but good luck convincing anyone or even getting in touch with the right people there).

There's a web site called worthpoint, if I'm not mistaken, that keeps an archive, but you need to subscribe in order to access their archive. I think it's not terribly expensive, so if what you're selling warrants it, you should consider it.

If you have time, you could keep an eye of the items that you've found by adding them to a watch-list and you'll be able to see if they sell, for how much.

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Here is the same CS pen from a reputable seller. Asked $600. https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/ecommerce/conway-stewart-battle-of-trafalgar-1805-limited-edition-fountain-pen.html

For the 146 it depends on condition. Mayne $600 with box and papers. The pens stand is not as desirable as the 149 size, but still a good 146 stand. Maybe $400.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

What's the width of the italic nub. It came in IF, IM, and IB. I may be interested if it's IB.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies for not getting back to this sooner - I've been more sick in the last month than I think I've been in the last 30 years. Thank you both for the insight - I appreciate it. @Zaddick - it's an IB (about a 1.1mm, if I recall correctly).

I checked other sources and I disagree about the prices suggested.

I checked using Completely and a Montblanc as you described sold from $1000 to $1100.

A pen holder the Sam as yours, escept it was dented sold for $499.

There are many listings for the pen for sale from $1250 to $1500.

The Conway Stewart which as referred to has been sold. I suspect given other sold items from that dealer, it was some time ago, possibly several years ago and it has significantly increased in value.

My estimate given what few Limited Editions are for sale made by Conway Stewart that the pric should be about $900.

Reddit's pen swap sub also keeps prices there for history. I like it a great deal.

I still get the majority of my pens from ebay, and it isn't because I want to. I am not in a position where I really want to sell my pens. I enjoy keeping (not hoarding, I swear) them and using what I want, when I want. Although I did just make the decision to sell my TWSBI. It was a lemon and I was feeling taken advantage of by TWSBI for their quality control issues (for the record: it was the cost of shipping, not the cost of the part that pushed me). Ebay's fees plus my state's new law requiring taxes to be collected means I either have to increase the price even more than I wish to to make the money I want to make, or I make less. Those fees are pushing the cost of the pens up. I know what a lot of the pens I want go for on Ebay, and that is beginning to transfer over to pen shows. Therefore when I see someone who is selling their wares at a show for less than the ebay prices, and it is deliberate (they'll tell you if you ask -- most consider it a service), I try to make a point to buy something from them, even if I still am not prepared to buy the pen they're selling.

My point is, the historical prices might be different based on the venue you are using.

Very true.

And of course what one receives is significantly less than what the sales price is given fees.

I just wanted the origonal poster to be aware that there is some sales data out there which can suggest a price someone may be willing to pay and it indicated a higher price.

I am willing to purchase items at what I know is a below market price from someone.

Sometimes they do this on purpose so,they can chose who they are selling something to. That was the case of a certain piece of Art Pottery my wife and I purchased about 30 years ago. I had long correspondence with the seller before they agreed to sell the piece and we made an appointment to meet and complete the purchase at their home three states, 300 plus miles and 7 hours drive time away. We them had a two hour interview before we were able to make the purchase. We also learned the owners had received offers for over double the price they were willing to sell it to us, but they didn't like the other potential buyers.

Sorry to digress from pens so much, but my point is how to determine a fair price is a very personal decision when it involves a treasured personal posession.

So, to the origonal poster, you will need to balance many factors in determining who you want to sell your pens to and for what price.