What Is A Must Have Shimmer Ink

The-Thinker

i was worried if i should put the shimmer inks in piston fillers like my pelikan, and was afraid it would mess up the piston or something

I haven't had that problem. Remember, the nib units are removable, so you can flush the ink chamber out if necessary. But I also don't keep those types of inks in the pen for extended periods of time (any more than I would a pigmented ink).

I've also put shimmer ink in one of my TWSBIs, the 580-ALR with the 1.1 mm stub. And the only problems were that the ink (Diamine Arabian Nights) was so wet in that pen that I found that it wrote better with the nib upside down; plus of course the problem with the piston not extending to the back of the feed means that it's possible to get an air bubble in the ink chamber when the piston is extended as far as it will go.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• A Smug Dill

• azbobcat

• tamiya

T

Nothing is completely without risks to the consumer and/or user. I'm saying assess and manage the calculated risks. You don't have to use a piston-filler if you don't want to. You don't have to use a Pelikan piston-filler if you must use a piston-filler, but it doesn't have to be a Pelikan. You don't have to think of the Pelikan's piston as irreplaceable if it gets damaged. Or you don't have to use shimmer inks, if you much prefer to avoid the risks to the pens altogether. The compromise is yours to make; I'm only telling you the choices I made, and the results I've observed so far. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, and your experience, i think i will be using them with less fear than i had ! thank you

I haven't had that problem. Remember, the nib units are removable, so you can flush the ink chamber out if necessary. But I also don't keep those types of inks in the pen for extended periods of time (any more than I would a pigmented ink).

I've also put shimmer ink in one of my TWSBIs, the 580-ALR with the 1.1 mm stub. And the only problems were that the ink (Diamine Arabian Nights) was so wet in that pen that I found that it wrote better with the nib upside down; plus of course the problem with the piston not extending to the back of the feed means that it's possible to get an air bubble in the ink chamber when the piston is extended as far as it will go.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

That is an interesting finding :P i guess i should treat them like pigment ink and clean them as i clean pens that i have inked with pigmented ink! thank you for sharing you clarifying the idea.

Mher Oubarian AKA The-Thinker nice to meet you Ruth

fpn_1579890243__img_5670.jpg

I love the writing you posted! makes me want to think of writing my post this way, they look more intimate and fun (specially to the reader) . Thank you for the pelikan experience, and for the fun idea you gave me !

While I have samples of the first 10 Diamine Shimmer inks, I haven't used 5 of them AT ALL, and of the others haven't used them in probably 18 months or more.

I just decided I didn't like the look of them enough to warrant wanting to deal with the extra effort to clean them out of a pen. Plus in order to get the shimmer to show consistently you have to use a wet pen with a good flow. This is not the same as a pen with a wide nib. A pen with a wide nib may be fairly dry.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

While I have samples of the first 10 Diamine Shimmer inks, I haven't used 5 of them AT ALL, and of the others haven't used them in probably 18 months or more.

I just decided I didn't like the look of them enough to warrant wanting to deal with the extra effort to clean them out of a pen. Plus in order to get the shimmer to show consistently you have to use a wet pen with a good flow. This is not the same as a pen with a wide nib. A pen with a wide nib may be fairly dry.

what is in your experience the wettest pen you own that shows off shimmer well ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have just stuck my toe in the Shimmer Ink water. I bought a cheap Twsbi Eco w/1.1 mm stub into which I will put some Diamine "Cobalt Jazz". That will be the ONLY pen into which I'll put the shimmer ink.

I'm not sure how my Parker 45's would handle it; my Edison Nouveau Premiere and Waterman Expert the nibs and the feeds can't be separated, that leaves my Conklin Duragraphs and it took me some time to get my "Purple Nights" tuned soooo... not really. The Twsbi Eco has some impressive reviews in spite of its price, if I'm going to experiment with an ink that might clog my pen or be a PITA to clean this would be the IDEAL pen into which to put a shimmer ink.

Stay tuned....

Well I have just stuck my toe in the Shimmer Ink water. I bought a cheap Twsbi Eco w/1.1 mm stub into which I will put some Diamine "Cobalt Jazz". That will be the ONLY pen into which I'll put the shimmer ink.

I'm not sure how my Parker 45's would handle it; my Edison Nouveau Premiere and Waterman Expert the nibs and the feeds can't be separated, that leaves my Conklin Duragraphs and it took me some time to get my "Purple Nights" tuned soooo... not really. The Twsbi Eco has some impressive reviews in spite of its price, if I'm going to experiment with an ink that might clog my pen or be a PITA to clean this would be the IDEAL pen into which to put a shimmer ink.

Stay tuned....

fpn_1581687688__img_5704.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

fpn_1581687688__img_5704.jpg

Well the Diamine shimmering "Cobalt Jazz" came in today. Made a REAL MESS: The first bad thing I did was to submerge the Twsbi Eco into the bottle... and immediately the bottle over flowed. Glad I did that in the bathroom where it was easy to clean up. I eventually got the Eco filled, cleaned the pen and myself up -- the paper towel was a wonderful dark blue with gold sparkle -- then found my practice book.

I was kind of surprised by one thing: I bought an Eco with 1.1 mm stub, and it is indeed a stub pen -- after doing a whole bunch of cross hatches, it definitely a stub. What surprised me was some lettering ( ie A, B, C, D, etc) I did with my Conklin Duragraph "Purple Nights" outfitted with a Goulet #6 1.1 mm nib. The Goulet nib which write likes butter but which took several days to manually fine tune by hand to get that way, produces a vastly wider line compared to my Eco. The Eco produces a WIDE line equivalent to my Edison Nouveau Premiere B nib, while the thin stroke is closer to that of a EF line. I am not sure if this is because the nib on the Eco is a #4 -- definitely not a JoWo nib -- and both the Conklin Duragraph "Purple Nights" 1.1 mm and the Edison Nouveau Premiere with its B nib are both #6 nibs, and -- if what I read is true -- both the Goulet nibs and the Edison nibs both are JoWo nibs. [shrug] ,

I've got a whole lot of fun to look forward to with the Diamine "Cobalt Jazz"

My problem is... I've got a bunch of these Pentel Hybrid Dual Metallic gelballs

HTB1a8McKMHqK1RjSZJnq6zNLpXaW.jpg

and they're so strikingly vivid they make JH 1670 look dull :) heck they write over black too.

I admit, it, I've run two sets of these out of ink. I bought a third set and my teenager made off with them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I mostly use non-shimmering inks, but I have been very pleased with Diamine Cocoa Shimmer. I'm partial to browns and I have it a TWSBI EF nib (which isn't that fine). I have had no problems; whether that is a reflection on TWSBI or the ink, I can't say. I did pick up some Platinum Prefounte in M nibs so that I would have inexpensive pens I could use without worrying about whether certain inks were "safe".

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence