Aurora <--> Parker Converters?

markh

New Aurora pen.....

Will a Parker converter fit - and play nice - with a modern Aurora pen??

Any issues/limitations (like how recent the Parker converter needs to be)??

thx,

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Driften

• A Smug Dill

• markh

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Aurora Talentum model I would suggest don't use other brand converters. The all metal Parker wants to stick in the barrel and what I think was a pen BBS one came apart with some of it stuck in the barrel. I would stick to Aurora converters.

Now I need to find something long and thin enough to try and pull that part out from testing...

mhm, yes... I ended up buying an Aurora original converter too (for an Aurora duocart new), not cheap, but feels solid

Edited by sansenri

I have three Aurora cartridge/converter-filled pens (and, whoops, four more now are on their way). The Aurora converters that were supplied with the Alpha and the Talentum both split at the mouth upon first use, from the lip all the way up the 'snout', and leaked ink into the sections and barrels while also intermittently starving the feeds.

I reported that to the retailer, who then sent me two Parker 'deluxe' converters as replacement. They work fine in the pens, no splits, no leaking, no ink starvation.

By the time I received my third Aurora c/c-filled pen, which is an Ipsilon, I just didn't bother installing the supplied Aurora converter any more.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Are new Aurora pens not coming with converters these days? I just checked Goulet Pens and they are supplying the converter with the Ipsilon, Duocart, and Talentum.

I purchased an Aurora Ipsilon demo pen at the Atlanta Pen Show a few tears ago

sans converter. It was suggested that I get a Parker converter, which has worked perfectly ever since.

My daughter gave me an Aurora Tu with a rose gold cap about four years ago

that she had purchased in a Brussels pen store. I discovered that the included

converter was about 1/8" too long. I contacted Kenro and they finally agreed to

send me a proper converter when I explained the situation. I just put the Parker

converter in the Tu and it fit fine, so I guess it's a valid substitution.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I have three Aurora cartridge/converter-filled pens (and, whoops, four more now are on their way). The Aurora converters that were supplied with the Alpha and the Talentum both split at the mouth upon first use, from the lip all the way up the 'snout', and leaked ink into the sections and barrels while also intermittently starving the feeds.

I reported that to the retailer, who then sent me two Parker 'deluxe' converters as replacement. They work fine in the pens, no splits, no leaking, no ink starvation.

By the time I received my third Aurora c/c-filled pen, which is an Ipsilon, I just didn't bother installing the supplied Aurora converter any more.

Strange... I've had my Talentum since 12/2018 with no issues with the converter. I have used a Lamy converter in Parker pens before.

Are new Aurora pens not coming with converters these days? I just checked Goulet Pens and they are supplying the converter with the Ipsilon, Duocart, and Talentum.

From reading pen reviews elsewhere, the Aurora Style and Tu models do not come with converters, while the Ipsilon models do.

Strange... I've had my Talentum since 12/2018 with no issues with the converter. I have used a Lamy converter in Parker pens before.

fpn_1579215689__two_aurora_converters_wi

The black nib is from my Talentum, which has a screw-in nib unit that is compatible with the Optima and Ottantotto models. The Alpha's nib is not housed that way, so I took the gold nib from my Optima and connected it to the other converter, for the purposes of illustration in the above photo which I sent to the retailer. Given that all the Aurora converters have the same specification, I don't expect the nipple size of the Alpha's feed inside the section to be any different from that on the screw-in nib unit.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Stranger still have 'em for at least a decade or more..purchased in Atlanta 'bout one hundred thirty bucks each.....bought two...

'Tis of course me personal experience....which counts for ugatz....No issues with converter{s}....Perhaps I'm one

lucky son-of-a-Beach......................................

Fred

From reading pen reviews elsewhere, the Aurora Style and Tu models do not come with converters, while the Ipsilon models do.

fpn_1579215689__two_aurora_converters_wi

The black nib is from my Talentum, which has a screw-in nib unit that is compatible with the Optima and Ottantotto models. The Alpha's nib is not housed that way, so I took the gold nib from my Optima and connected it to the other converter, for the purposes of illustration in the above photo which I sent to the retailer. Given that all the Aurora converters have the same specification, I don't expect the nipple size of the Alpha's feed inside the section to be any different from that on the screw-in nib unit.

I have swapped the nib unit between my Optima and my Talentum and have not had that happen. Maybe something on your pen allowed the converter to seat deeper on the nipple were there is the slight step that caused the break. When I just now tried the Optima nib unit it stopped at the same location as yours just before the step up. When the nib is in the section mine can't push in deep enough to break.

Maybe yours was from a bad batch, or maybe my 2018 unit had better QC.

There are two kind of aurora converter with same wide mouth-conector (Parker size).

Standard Converter Code 158-C

Slim Converter called Trik-Trak Code 158..it fits very slim aurora barrels.

Regards

Maybe yours was from a bad batch, or maybe my 2018 unit had better QC.

I ordered both the Alpha and the Talentum late in 2018. I think it's "just" a bad batch of converters; but nevertheless it has taught me not to trust Aurora converters. However, since I've just ordered three Ipsilon pens (to give away at least two), I'll inspect the supplied converters to see if there are any fault lines at the mouth. All the same, I'll probably give the recipients of the Ipsilon pens a Parker converter each (at least) as back-up.

I'll also note that the Ipsilon's nib and feed are smaller than that on the Talentum and Alpha, although the nipple size should be the same.

Wow - I just got a Talentum today which came with the converter already installed. After looking at this post, I pulled the converter - plastic split from end to metal ring :excl:

I have considered Aurora the highest quality of the Italian pen companies. This was kind of sad.

I guess I should - substitute a Parker convert, and - email Kenro. If enough of us to that, maybe they will fix the problem.

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Does the Lamy converter fit the Aurora?? I have a few extra of those.

I have considered Aurora the highest quality of the Italian pen companies. This was kind of sad.

I like Aurora as a brand, enough to keep buying its pens in spite of some shockingly bad experiences with what I've received out of the box. However, given how bad the nibs on two-out-of-two (Ipsilon and Ottantotto) Cento Italia limited edition pens that I bought and received in 2019 were, I have no faith in the company's quality control — and, sad to say, by extension to other Italian brands after bad experiences with Leonardo Officina Italiana's pens as well. A third Cento Italia model should be coming to me soon, so I guess I'll see whether Aurora has counter-intuitively picked the company's 100th anniversary commemorative limited edition models to showcase just how bad its products can be.

That said, I think the modern Ottantotto and Optima models are generally top-notch, at least in the 8"88" and 365 series respectively.

Uh, you have the Aurora Talentum pen and the "extra" Lamy converter, so why don't you just try one and see for yourself? At worst you're just going to ruin an "extra" converter you can write off, if it's just a little too snug; I don't think it'll damage the pen or the nipple of its feed in any way. If it's too loose, you're going to know immediately and there is no damage.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I just tried the Lamy converter and I wouldn't use it. When you unscrew the barrel you will end up moving the piston forward about 25% of the way and leak ink if the converter was more then 75% full. The very end of the Aurora converter knob had a step down and the Lamy does not.

Also don't try this at home... I went to put the converter back into the Lamy Studio and now it no longer fits. The nipple on the Aurora must have made the hole in the converter larger.

I did try a Parker piston style converter and it did work and it didn't turn the converter knob when screwing/unscrewing the barrel on the Aurora. The older metal ones bind so don't use those. But you should already know this since its what Smug Dill uses ;)

The tip of the Parker converter is not the same shape as the tip of the Aurora one. I don't think I will use the Parker any time soon in my Aurora, but since Smug Dill does maybe it would work for you.

Uh, you have the Aurora Talentum pen and the "extra" Lamy converter, so why don't you just try one and see for yourself? At worst you're just going to ruin an "extra" converter you can write off, if it's just a little too snug; I don't think it'll damage the pen or the nipple of its feed in any way. If it's too loose, you're going to know immediately and there is no damage.

Don't try this. It makes the hold in the converter larger and it will no longer fit on the Lamy... it also didn't work well on the Talentum. I just trashed a Lamy converter trying it.

Update it's the Lamy Z26 Converter I tried that I have used on Parkers. You you want to try some other model do so at your own risk of it not working any more on anything.

Don't try this. It makes the hold in the converter larger and it will no longer fit on the Lamy... it also didn't work well on the Talentum. I just trashed a Lamy converter trying it.

Haha, while I sincerely appreciate your trying it out — even when you have no functional need of such — and then sharing the results with us fellow Aurora users here, I'm really trying to advocate as consumers we take calculated risks (caveat emptor and all that) in the first instance when there's something we want or need, instead of waiting for others to assure us no unwanted cost or damage will come to oneself, and ask for information by default. The more fellow hobbyists discover the wanted information through experimentation, then report on the results and build on the collective body of knowledge/experience, the better it is for the community.

Oh, and I don't think the onus should be on those who have more resources at hand (be it spare parts or 'spare' money) or more time, instead of those who have the immediate functional need, to experiment. I don't discriminate based on how much money the individual fellow hobbyist has and where it came from; he/she who wants to know something can "pay" for the information in costs of effort and possibly consumed (or ruined) products.

Edited by A Smug Dill

Well, good point. The Z24/Z28 seemed a snug fit. The Z26/Z27 seemed a good fit. Surprising, as they should both be the same. My guess is that they would both work. The tabs on the side of the Z24/28 don't seem to be a problem.

As I already have the Parker in and filled, I decided not to actually test the cart by filling the pen - if should work....