The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

In Praise Of Boring Inks.

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#81 AmandaW

AmandaW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:58

My inks would likely be boring to most. Grey, black, brown, green, even purple, but all as grey as possible. Toned down, yes. Murky, absolutely. Dark enough to be mistaken for black: perfect.

I think of them as subtle.

I don't like sheen. Contrasting under-colour: shudders. Shimmer: ugh, horrible thought.

I did try going brighter for a while. It was a mistake. Gave them away.

It's all about the greys...

Sponsored Content

#82 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:31

My inks would likely be boring to most. Grey, black, brown, green, even purple, but all as grey as possible. Toned down, yes. Murky, absolutely. Dark enough to be mistaken for black: perfect.

I don't like sheen. Contrasting under-colour: shudders. Shimmer: ugh, horrible thought.

Hi Amanda,

I like those subtle tunes, too.

May I ask what your favourite green inks are?

Best wishes

Jens

P.S.: I love blue-black-black iron gall inks. Diamine Registrar's or ESSRI... just how dry I like it.

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#83 AmandaW

AmandaW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:10

Hi Amanda,

I like those subtle tunes, too.

May I ask what your favourite green inks are?

Best wishes

Jens

P.S.: I love blue-black-black iron gall inks. Diamine Registrar's or ESSRI... just how dry I like it.

Hi Jens, my favourite greens are both Diamine: Deep Dark Green and Safari. One so dark it's almost black from an EF nib and the other very grey.

It's all about the greys...

#84 challer61

challer61

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:36

Blue/Blue Black/Black are all I currently own. Got rid of the others.

#85 N1003U

N1003U

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:59

I agree with this line of thinking. Subtle is good.

"Dark enough to be mistaken for black": a great criterion. "Dense black": also a good criterion.

My favorite blue: Diamine Presidential Blue. Why? It is a very grey blue. It is perhaps the "brightest" color I use regularly, but it still displays itself modestly.

I recently bought a very wet pen, and I was horrified to discover that Edelstein Tanzanite (heretofore one of my favorites, in the pen I typically use it in) has a red sheen. It has now been relegated to second-tier status (replaced by Waterman and Pelikan 4001 blue blacks), and will be applied in "drier" applications.

I don't mind seeing contrasting under-color(u)rs once in a while, but they start to get distracting in a full page of writing.

I still use bright colors, but a LOT more sparingly than the darker ones, typically for editorial mark-ups and greeting cards.

I want to like Edelstein Moonstone, but I can't decide if it shades too much for most applications. I like that it on some papers looks like pencil.

#86 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 13:32

I'm not going to congratulate myself for my superior standard of aesthetics, I'd only like to say that my ink preferences lean toward those that are immediately identifiable as fountain pen (rather than ballpoint) ink by the way they display on the page. This can mean shading or that particular fluidity of style that comes from broader or stub/italic nibs. Not a requirement, just a preference. I consider it my duty as a fountain pen enthusiast to make sure this characteristic gets out there in the public eye in the hopes that it will attract new devotees to our ranks. I also try to make my penmanship graceful, if not beautiful. "Boring" (black and dark blue) inks are my preference. I'm already considered an oddball by some for writing with a fountain pen; I don't need to use orange and risk being institutionalized.

Edited by Manalto, 30 July 2020 - 13:39.

James

#87 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 15:45

Hi Jens, my favourite greens are both Diamine: Deep Dark Green and Safari. One so dark it's almost black from an EF nib and the other very grey.

Ah, I see, thank you. Safari is on my wish list...

I also like Robert Oster Grün-Schwarz, sometimes it is hard to say if it's black or green.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#88 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 16:05

There is nothing boring about “boring inks”. It’s just a different perspective. Some see lockdown as boring, while others see it as safe. I use Parker Quink black ink to test my vintage pens after restoration, knowing that the ink won’t cause any trouble, taking one variable out of possible trouble shooting. I have other inks too, but it’s good to have these “boring inks”.

#89 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 16:08

I've never responded to this thread that I remember. I only use Waterman inks. I've used black, purple, and now blue (Serenity). They don't harm a vintage pen. If that makes them boring, I am perfectly content. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#90 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 03:25

Kobe #49 Kitano Olive. I don't like the color but it's a perfect "background" ink. I was all into colors and rotations and stuff, but this was the first ink I found myself using everyday and looked good with everything else.
I always felt that green should be a good background, but noticeably green inks I find strangely offputting!
Graf Von Faber Castell's Olive also seems like a decent "drab".
Also very fond of taupes, which I don't think anyone would claim as exciting. Rohrer and Klingner Sepia currently top of the pile; neither warm nor cool, brown nor grey and certainly neither blue nor black!
I used to think greys and browns were boring, but now they're where I live!

#91 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:58

I think I agree with you! I have been favoring my “boring inks” as well. Parker Quink and Waterman Mysterious blue are almost always in my rotation. Also Noodlers blue, which isn’t as boring. I also have Skrip Red inked up in a pen right now which is probably the best teacher red out there!

#92 minddance

minddance

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:09

I am not sure if I could immediately like and agree with this title because almost every ink to me is quite interesting.

I am not after 'shading' and sheen. For me, I enjoy the flow from the nib to paper and I would like a decent amount of readability and legibility from my pens.

#93 MBDostoevsky

MBDostoevsky

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2020 - 17:44

I've never responded to this thread that I remember. I only use Waterman inks. I've used black, purple, and now blue (Serenity). They don't harm a vintage pen. If that makes them boring, I am perfectly content. :)

Waterman has some really good 'flowy' inks.... and they are not boring.... 

#94 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2020 - 17:52

Just bought two bottles of "boring inks" Pelikan 4001, one blue and one black... boring inks for my wonderful vintage pens  :D

#95 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2020 - 19:50

There is nothing boring about “boring inks”. It’s just a different perspective. 

+1 on that.  Just this morning I refilled my Pilot Decimo with Tsuyu-kusa, which I suspect people might consider boring after playing with it's flashier siblings like Yama-budo and Kon-peki (both of which I would never want to be without, BTW).  But I would never want to be without Tsuyu-kusa either -- it's na nice, well behaved blue and in that pen with its F nib (and on somewhat better paper) it is a little darker than I remembered it being.  Very soothing and serene a color and a joy to use.  And unlike some "blue" inks, it doesn't run teal or turquoise, and it doesn't run violet.  Just... blue....

If I need something water resistant, well, I've got plenty of inks that fill that niche.  B)  Ditto for something that's really vibrant and in-your-face, or for something murky and mysterious.  Or sparkly.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Edited by inkstainedruth, 19 August 2020 - 19:57.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#96 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:03

I just received my first bottle of sheaffer green.
I dont see what people dislike about this ink. If some boutique brand named this sea foam or sea glass or something like that I think people would be all over it. Its a super cool teal green and has flowed awesome out of my new Eversharp. It reminds me of that retro 50s Jukebox sort of color. Maybe boring to some, but definitely praiseworthy in my opinion.

Attached Images

• 8A1EACFA-B530-47FE-BEE2-0B6F7814B14A.jpeg

Edited by tleek, 21 August 2020 - 03:04.

#97 kronos77

kronos77

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:15

Diamine Saddle is my favorite boring ink.  Really though, I find it exciting.  It has an Indiana Jones, adventurer feel to it.

#98 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:50

I'm still waiting to discover my perfect "boring" ink, deep and dark as a black hole from which even light cannot escape, with no shading and no sheen of which to speak, and repels water so completely it was as if they exist in separate dimensions.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#99 N1003U

N1003U

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:21

I'm still waiting to discover my perfect "boring" ink, deep and dark as a black hole from which even light cannot escape, with no shading and no sheen of which to speak, and repels water so completely it was as if they exist in separate dimensions.

Add to that "without maintenance/cleaning problems in a pen", and I think we are on the same page... 

#100 dhanks

dhanks

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 14:49

Those two (Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black and Brilliant Black) are my favorite inks, not boring in the slightest unless reliable performance is considered boring.

Rumpole

Edited by dhanks, 21 August 2020 - 14:50.

Sponsored Content

|