The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

In Praise Of Boring Inks.

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 Manalto

Manalto

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 13:09

Greetings all,

Call it a workhorse; call it boring; call it whatever you like within that assumed millaeu; it's hard to top Quink Permanent Blue, (or it's sibling: Waterman Serenity Blue), as the quintessential, "boring," (for lack of a better term), ultra-reliable, daily use, go to ink.

FWIW, I'd give the nod to Pilot Blue-black as the runner-up.

Sean :)

Gasp! Waterman 'Serenity Blue' boring? Gasp again. Soothing, perhaps. But boring? How can turquoise that evokes tropical breezes and the scent of ylang-ylang carry that label? Pardon me while I sit down and recover.

James

Sponsored Content

#42 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 16:11

I don't perceive any inks as boring. Probably my go-to daily and most-used ink, Noodler's Black, is considered boring by those who eschew black ink, but I LOOOOOVE black ink. I prefer Noodler's cos the ink is the best-behaved on cheap paper (I haaaate feathering) that I've found.

My other favorite, probably considered boring, is Noodler's Lexington Gray. My pages are sometimes exposed to water (light rain when it's just beginning or mist) (also, clumsiness), so I like how waterfast these inks are. And it's different enough from black to be a subtle contrast ink.

Yeah, my workhorse inks. A third is Pilot Blue.

Again, I don't know from boring inks. I'm more interested in what's been written or drawn.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#43 bone215

bone215

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2020 - 18:16

good thread.......

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

#44 tim77

tim77

Extra medium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 00:46

good thread.......

Agreed.  One of the pleasures of fountain pens is their utility.  It's no good investing effort in a pen that writes well if the results aren't legible, and boring inks are the most readable.  Therefore it's ok to spend an inordinate amount of time seeking the perfect blue-black. QED

IMG_2072.jpg

#45 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:10

I'm more interested in what's been written or drawn.

~ ethernautrix:

Yes!

That's also how I feel.

I also like black inks, as well as  very dark charcoal ink tones.

What started me out in that direction are the wealth of black oil pain colors used by Frans Hals in his portraits.

Tom K.

#46 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 00:44

If we're talking about basic black, royal blue, and blue-black, then color me guilty! While I have bought lots of inks of all sorts of wild colors, right now my bottled ink collection contains:

• Parker Quink Black, Washable Blue
  • Waterman Serenity Blue, Mysterious Blue
  • Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, Royal Blue, Dark Green
  • Kaweco Midnight Blue
  • Iroshizuku Take-sumi (black)

Only the 4001 Dark Green outside of the "boring" limits -- and while I like it very much, I haven't inked anything with it in a number of months.  :P

#47 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:49

Does anyone really want to read pages and pages written with some of those eye-searing forum favorites? Spare me.
Give it to me in black or blue-black.

#48 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:17

I only own boring inks...

## Iron Galls             
Akkerman IJzer-Galnoten   
Diamine Registrars        
Hero No. 232              
KWZ Blue No. 3            
KWZ Blue No. 5            
Montblanc Blue Black      
Rohrer & Klingner Salix   
## Blacks
Aurora Black              
Take-Sumi                 
Montblanc Black           
## Blues
Asa-Gao                   
Aurora Blue               
Edelstein Sapphire        
Serenity Blue             
Edelstein Tanzanite       
Visconti Blue             
## Browns
Bekakt Haag               
Jentle Doyou              
Yama-Guri                 
## Other
Fire Engine Red

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#49 GreenMountain

GreenMountain

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:19

Great topic!  I think taste evolves over time and I find myself gravitating to duller colors. Since we are on the topic of word meaning, I mean dull as in not bright rather than vacuous.

Favorite of all time = Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black

Least favorite = Parker Permanent Blue or Noodler's Liberty

What do you think of this, Corniche?  The only way I can explain it is that I look bad in royal blue;)

Footnote
The bottom of the heap of all the colors I've tried is Diamine Manggis, which is thoroughly bilious.  Possibly the best ink for a poison pen letter?

#50 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:58

I prefer subdued colours that are friendly to the eye. I don’t like a page of text screaming at me like a roadside neon sign. In other words, I prefer inks that others might consider to be boring.

Even subdued inks can Have fascinating properties. ‘Basic’ Sailor Blue (previously Jentle Blue) is one of my favourites, basically a darkish, midnight-kind of blue. Nothing fancy. A workhorse ink. But it can sheen like crazy... wonderful stuff...

fpn_1547132166__b6d30c07-0ef0-4281-94eb-

Another ink that some might find ‘boring’ is iroshizuku shin-kai (and its indistinguishable European sister, Pelikan 4001 blue-black). The colour change of these inks I find fascinating.

Finally, the grey sheen of Sailor kiwaguro black - amazing stuff and one of the best inks ever (and I don’t even like black inks).

There are no boring inks.

#51 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 21:13

Well, if the converse of "boring" is "retina-searing" or "jewel-toned", then color all my inks boring.  Noodler's Heart of Darkness, Noodler's Purple, a blue-black yet to be determined, Noodler's Blue, Diamine Green, Diamine Chocolate, Iro Ku-Jaku.

#52 bayindirh

bayindirh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 21:59

Well, if the converse of "boring" is "retina-searing" or "jewel-toned", then color all my inks boring.  Noodler's Heart of Darkness, Noodler's Purple, a blue-black yet to be determined, Noodler's Blue, Diamine Green, Diamine Chocolate, Iro Ku-Jaku.

Subdued and darker colors have its own allure and gravity I think. An ink with a gravity is a good ink in my book too.

#53 aurore

aurore

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 16:26

For ages I have been digging bright lively inks (particularly blue variations). Lately I have found myself adoring boring inks - dark blues, blue-blacks and even dark bruples (such as GvFC Cobalt Blue) which I never liked. They are very calming.

#54 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 18:04

I've decided to add my two pence as well!

I love "boring" inks!

Firstly, this is subjective and tastes differ very much. I've never found inks, which are described as "boring", to be boring or lacking in character. They have sheen, shading or can be plain uniform, which I also love.

Secondly, there is no real "secondly", as I lost my train of thought but still know what I wanted to write!

I started off with more "exciting" ink, which I've always loved, even when I was in school, like turquoises (eg Pelikan's, also Diamine Steel Blue) and even though I still have young eyes which see well and are not offended by brighter inks, it is undeniable that more muted and darker inks make for easier reading and don't depend as much on lighting conditions or mood (no one's always in the mood for bright colours).

I ditched those exciting inks fairly quickly and though I still like them, I never use them anymore. I like the idea of them more than the reality.

Diamine Asa Blue, Kensington Blue, J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, Sailor Nioi Sumire, Pelikan Topaz... is as exciting as it gets these days.

"Boring" inks also tend to fit any occasion, as I've recently added mentally as my own category: Appropriate for weddings and funerals.

Absolute favourites (apt for weddings & funerals) include these days: J Herbin Bleu des Profondeurs, Sailor Blue (& the very expensive Yonaga), Diamine Oxford Blue, Pilot Blue Black.

A daily carry in one of these colours will imo never be out of place.

(I also like Pilot & Sailor Black, JH Perle Noire and Waterman Serenity Blue, Parker Quink Blue, but I think those blues are less uniformly "fine" than darker blues, which strike a nice balance between being "business appropriate" and "interesting" if you so will).

Outside of the traditional writing colours (blue & black) I have no real use for any other colour and when I do, I use other pens. Any other colour would far sooner dry in a pen of mine than ever be used up, so buying bottles of these other colours would be wasted money, as much as it is exciting to be able to buy inks in so many colours, in my case it's useless.

I'm all here for the "boring" inks, which are anything but!

#55 bayindirh

bayindirh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 18:10

~ bayindirh:

I've been seeking Quink blue-black in the area where I work, but have thus far not found it.

Your using it in a Parker Vector is a possible inspiration for me. My Vector is currently inked with a medium violet ink. Maybe Quink blue-black will be next.

The local white pad paper sounds great. I've seen a similar product here. It looked dodgy, yet worked well with most nibs and inks.

The Montblanc Hadrian Antico Rosso ink I've been using is an especially pleasing dark red. A second bottle may be ordered as it's been a practical ink for work purposes.

The non-nonsense, conservative brands are favorites of mine. As I'm somewhat reticent, even stodgy, at times, their approach appeals to me.

Thank you so much for your very kind comments in an earlier post.

Tom K.

Hello Tom,

Realized that I did not answer your last post, sorry about that. Were you able to find Parker's blue black in the recent months?  My Parker is still inked with it, but I'll give it a rest since the Pandemic is winding down, I may need to leave home more so, won't be able to use fountain pens much until my disposable rollers are reduced in numbers a bit.

I've just looked to Antico Rosso. That's a nice ink. I may order a bottle too. Currently I'm using Diamine's Oxblood as my dark red ink (in a red Lamy Safari, no less). I also got a bottle of Noodler's Tsvetayeva for archival purposes.

My ink choices haven't changed much. For special writings I prefer archival/permanent inks. For daily writing I prefer more conventional ones. Both in traditional and subdued/dark colors. My choices probably won't change much after that point. I think I like colors with gravity, with down-to-earth character. I want my inks to carry and reflect the words I write, I think.

I bow my hat to your politeness, style and character,

Hope you're safe over there,

Regards,

Hakan

#56 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 18:33

Gasp! Waterman 'Serenity Blue' boring? Gasp again. Soothing, perhaps. But boring? How can turquoise that evokes tropical breezes and the scent of ylang-ylang carry that label? Pardon me while I sit down and recover.

+1

this (good old Florida) is a favourite ink, also in terms of colour, not boring at all to me, I consider it a reference.

When I have to fill a pen, and since I mostly use blue inks, those blue waves on the box look at me calling: "me! me! I'm here!"

I have many blue inks now but cannot resist to the call at times.

#57 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 18:34

I am really enjoying Kaweco Midnight Blue right now. It's super dark - dark enough to replace black in just about any circumstance. But it has a hint of blue, so it's a nice variety vs black. 

Using boring inks doesn't have to always be boring!

#58 bayindirh

bayindirh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 18:49

I am really enjoying Kaweco Midnight Blue right now. It's super dark - dark enough to replace black in just about any circumstance. But it has a hint of blue, so it's a nice variety vs black. 

Using boring inks doesn't have to always be boring!

I have bought a bottle of that but, had no time to try it yet. Maybe your comment will bump it top of the queue. Thanks for sharing.

#59 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 19:44

I have bought a bottle of that but, had no time to try it yet. Maybe your comment will bump it top of the queue. Thanks for sharing.

I think I prefer it to Waterman Mysterious Blue, which I also bought at the same time (and also like very much). Both inks are great in my Leuchtturm bullet journal, but Waterman is not quite as dark.

Too bad the Kaweco inks cost nearly 2x as much per ml. 

#60 bayindirh

bayindirh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 20:29

I think I prefer it to Waterman Mysterious Blue, which I also bought at the same time (and also like very much). Both inks are great in my Leuchtturm bullet journal, but Waterman is not quite as dark.

Too bad the Kaweco inks cost nearly 2x as much per ml. 

I love Lamy's blue black to be honest. It's just blue and black but, I didn't try Waterman's take on it. Parker's new formulation is also nice. People tell that it's just denim blue, but it's not. When it dries completely, it turns into a proper blue black with slightest of teal undertones, depending on the paper and lighting.

Unfortunately Kaweco's inks are more expensive than Waterman but, the liquid inside these unassuming bottles are really good inks (I use blue and brown a lot lately).

Sponsored Content

|