The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My Pelikano Collection In A Custom Box

pelikano custom pen box wood inlay

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 austollie

austollie

Pelikano Super

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:24

Dear lovers of Pelikano pens,

When I started school in Germany in the 1970s, the use of a fountain pen was mandatory and at my school the teachers strongly recommended the use of a Pelikano with an A nib (A being for Anfänger= beginner).  This started my obsession with fountain pens and to this day, my primary interest is in student fountain pens.  That said, I am not so enamoured with the current Pelikano line and when it comes to modern student pens, I prefer the Lamy Safari range.  This may be anathema to hard-core Pelikan fans, but that’s how I see it.

Picture 1 shows my collection from the first model 1 through to model 7S plus a modern Pelikano for comparison:

Pic 1 Pelikano over the years.jpg

In my view, there was little improvement after model 2 was released in 1965.  The feed in model 1 pens is problematic.  Both the blue and black versions came into my collection blocked and the pens needed literally months of soaking before they started to work.  No other pen that I’ve ever bought (and I’ve bought a few) needed that kind of treatment.  I started school with a model 4 and later had a model 5.  The Pelikano 5 Super with the metal barrel is my favourite, albeit that it was a flop for Pelikan.

Picture 2 shows the box that I made to house my Pelikan collection.  The stylised pelican is cut from Queensland Walnut (the name is a misnomer- Queensland Walnut not a walnut tree at all) and has been inlaid into Queensland maple.

Pic 2 Storage box with trays.jpg

Picture 3 shows the box with the top layer of pen trays removed.  The bottom left tray has no Pelikano pens at all.  Instead there is a loose collection of other pens, including two special edition GeHa pens.  GeHa was ultimately bought by Pelikan, so I suppose the Geha pens are not that out of place.  To the right of the photo are my two Pelikan Pura fountain pens.

Pic 3 Lower trays.jpg

Picture 4 shows the storage for the original pen boxes underneath the two layers of trays.  I like keeping the original boxes, but I like to have my pens in trays.

Pic 4 Original box storage.jpg

I realise that the Pelikano line of student pens is not everyone’s cup of tea.  After all, the nibs are nails and the pens are made to a budget.  However, to me the Pelikano line is what fountain pens are all about.  The Pelikano pens are robust and write well.  I don’t have any problem writing with a ‘nail’. 

I'd love to hear from other Pelikano fans.

Ollie

Sponsored Content

#2 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:15

~ austollie:

What a terrific custom box!

The inlaid Pelikan logo is highly impressive.

Your care, attention to detail and devotion to Pelikanos is an inspiration.

Thank you for sharing these images and the background information.

Tom K.

#3 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 6,131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:55

What a lovely collection and box. Ypur passion shows through. Great work!

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#4 chravagni

chravagni

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:17

It is definitely my cup of tea ❤
Your collection is fantastic and the box as well. I started school in 1979 and, as Italian, the most used pen together with Aurora Auretta was the Pelikan 4 Antimacchia. I had a red one, then a yellow and a dark green. All of them still working. The nib wasn't A, it was a F.

Still the best model for me ❤ it took me a very long time to get accustomed to the new grip of the Pelikano 6 (Then I did and was quite happy with it too). I missed the 5, don't know why 🙂

#5 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:47

Excellent in every way!  Well done.  And I agree, the Pelikanos are a very usable line for the most part and it's too bad they get such little notice here on the forums.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#6 G-S

G-S

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 21:15

I think I have a vintage yellow Pelikano laying around if you are interested.

Edited by G-S, 15 January 2020 - 21:15.

#7 austollie

austollie

Pelikano Super

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 22:01

Hi G-S,

Yes, absolutely.  I've been looking for a yellow Pelikano for a while.

I've just sent you a PN.

Cheers, Ollie

#8 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• 5,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 19:34

Wow.  Very nice box!

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#9 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 20:49

What a great way to enjoy your collection! Exceptional work.

#10 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 20:59

Bravo! Superb workmanship, and a wonderful collection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikano, custom pen box, wood inlay

Sponsored Content

|