The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Moonman Leonardo (800)

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 fudefan

fudefan

Urushist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 21:11

New model? https://www.ebay.com/itm//202877812046

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

Sponsored Content

#2 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 21:45

No shame!

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#3 awa54

awa54

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 21:46

Leonardo Momento Zero "homage" much?

David-

So many restoration projects...

#4 fudefan

fudefan

Urushist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 22:25

Bock nib is an interesting choice. Maybe we'll see an 800s later.

#5 mauckcg

mauckcg

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 23:23

Wow, thats a really blatant ripoff.

#6 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:56

Yes that's a new model, but before people cry rip off it must be said that Hero had a model way back in the 60's that look exactly this ( its in solid colour plastic without the trim rings on the barrel and section ) and its got a different styled clip ( plain square plate with Hero emblem on there ). I think the part is so many of these classic shape / profile are really so long rooted in pens of all ages really we can no longer claim originality, not any manufacturer. Looking back this style is pretty much there since the early 20th century and even the pointy tips / finales is already a style cue long used ( picture Wahl , Moores, and others ).

So yes its a clone ripoff alright but yet its also not, its unfortunate, Moonman could had made better design just by simply taking these classic design and infuse their own interpretation but they choose to take the easy route ; just copy

Edited by Mech-for-i, 15 January 2020 - 06:08.

#7 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,201 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:40

Wow - cheap Leonardos. 😉
That will it make difficult to sell a used Leonardo.
Is that Bock nib a real one?

#8 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,930 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:10

Wow, thats a really blatant ripoff.

I totally agree...

#9 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:12

Wow - cheap Leonardos.
That will it make difficult to sell a used Leonardo.
Is that Bock nib a real one?

Yes that part is real ..

#10 Cyclohexene

Cyclohexene

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:16

If Moonman changed the number of trim rings on the cap and the roller clip, would people still recognise it as a Leonardo rip-off?

#11 fudefan

fudefan

Urushist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:24

Yes that's a new model, but before people cry rip off it must be said that Hero had a model way back in the 60's that look exactly this

Do you happen to have that Hero model number and/or a photo? Would love to see what it looks like.

Also, any idea why Moonman went with Bock? Is it meant to be more upscale? Haven't seen any Chinese pen with Bock since that Titaner.

#12 clear1

clear1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:11

Moonman has great skill in making pens. I like their pens. I just hope they further their own design. This is too obvious imitation. Pens have similar points, as some people say. But when similarity gets this far, it's just a copy. What a shame. It's not like Momento Zero was designed 40 years ago and became classic.

#13 clear1

clear1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:14

Also, any idea why Moonman went with Bock? Is it meant to be more upscale?

Perhaps. But I'm not sure if this is a wise choice. Bock steel nibs are pretty much troublesome these days. So many bad nibs. In my personal experiene, Chinese nibs of these days are more trouble-free. Then again, I guess it will be a good marketing point using German nib.

#14 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,047 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:40

I wouldn't mind to see it with a half hooded or hooded nib.

#15 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:58

It would be nice to see some of these pens offered with broad nibs....

#16 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,201 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 13:13

> offered with broad nibs

Perhaps you can swap them with the size you like.

#17 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 13:35

Do you happen to have that Hero model number and/or a photo? Would love to see what it looks like.

Also, any idea why Moonman went with Bock? Is it meant to be more upscale? Haven't seen any Chinese pen with Bock since that Titaner.

Would like to see the picture too if available.

#18 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 20:17

well off the memory I don't had one of them and need to go back to see if I had any recorded photo / log of the pen but I vaguely remember it should be a 692 or is it 693 , not the later 80's or 90'sversion which are different pens of the same model name, if my memory serve me right its just plain solid colour plastic and not a good pen either ( a economy workhorse model ). in fact that style a chubby straight rod sort of styling had long been there , and the pointy tip finale is referred to as Mongolian Yurt tip with the Chinese Fountain Pen industry cause it looks the part like that and used on many models , the more commonly seen would be the Hero 330 ( vintage 80's model ) and the Wing Sung 2007 ( 80/90's model ) and currently PenBBS 309 .. and of course plenty of vintage ( as in pre war ) pens like the Wahl

But its digressing here, the Moonman itself, the styling is not a copy but that pen, the trim, the execution is certainly a direct rip off copy alright ; there is no other way to sees it. They can choose to use different trim , differentiate themselves, but they choose not to. its a display of the Chinese consumer product industry / manufacturing sector and how they sees product design as a property. if it were the 1950's or even right up to the 90's I can forgive the naiveness or ignorance , these days its not , its just taking advantage of a faulted ( international ) legal system that suppose to protect industrial design but do not and abuse it for their own benefit and sadly that's legal in China and also legal in so many countries ( yes its legal too even in the state and EU ; any industrial design do not get protection unless its specifically registered ). 

Edited by Mech-for-i, 16 January 2020 - 08:00.

#19 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 20:45

Moonman has great skill in making pens. I like their pens. I just hope they further their own design. This is too obvious imitation. Pens have similar points, as some people say. But when similarity gets this far, it's just a copy. What a shame. It's not like Momento Zero was designed 40 years ago and became classic.

Absolutely agree.

I've been wondering on this so many times,

are the Chinese (and their industry) so hard up on own ideas that they still need to copy things from others? still today when they have technology to do anything?

It's puzzling, it's difficult to understand.

No doubt copying is cheaper than working on an own design.

Possibly statistics will also tell them that they sell more by copying a successful idea from others than risking an own design.

But Moonman seemed to have started an (almost) virtuous path of developing own designs...

Inspiration is one thing, exact copy is immoral exploitation of 3rd party rights

#20 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 20:56

So yes its a clone ripoff alright but yet its also not, its unfortunate, Moonman could had made better design just by simply taking these classic design and infuse their own interpretation but they choose to take the easy route ; just copy

this is the part I don't understand

they have experience by now, they have had a go at any design, they are in some way renowned by now as a Chinese pen making company that at last has steered towards better quality, isn't it time to flood the market with their very own fantastic design at a cost that other cannot meet even at a level of high quality and finish?

If they came out with such original design and good quality we here would all buy a piece from them if not more.

When striking the right formula I'm sure they'd sell much more than copies!

what are they waiting for?

Sponsored Content

|