• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• clear1

• Mech-for-i

• mke

Yes that's a new model, but before people cry rip off it must be said that Hero had a model way back in the 60's that look exactly this ( its in solid colour plastic without the trim rings on the barrel and section ) and its got a different styled clip ( plain square plate with Hero emblem on there ). I think the part is so many of these classic shape / profile are really so long rooted in pens of all ages really we can no longer claim originality, not any manufacturer. Looking back this style is pretty much there since the early 20th century and even the pointy tips / finales is already a style cue long used ( picture Wahl , Moores, and others ).

So yes its a clone ripoff alright but yet its also not, its unfortunate, Moonman could had made better design just by simply taking these classic design and infuse their own interpretation but they choose to take the easy route ; just copy

Edited by Mech-for-i

Wow - cheap Leonardos. 😉

That will it make difficult to sell a used Leonardo.

Is that Bock nib a real one?

Wow - cheap Leonardos.

That will it make difficult to sell a used Leonardo.

Is that Bock nib a real one?

Yes that part is real ..

If Moonman changed the number of trim rings on the cap and the roller clip, would people still recognise it as a Leonardo rip-off?

Yes that's a new model, but before people cry rip off it must be said that Hero had a model way back in the 60's that look exactly this

Do you happen to have that Hero model number and/or a photo? Would love to see what it looks like.

Also, any idea why Moonman went with Bock? Is it meant to be more upscale? Haven't seen any Chinese pen with Bock since that Titaner.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

Moonman has great skill in making pens. I like their pens. I just hope they further their own design. This is too obvious imitation. Pens have similar points, as some people say. But when similarity gets this far, it's just a copy. What a shame. It's not like Momento Zero was designed 40 years ago and became classic.

Also, any idea why Moonman went with Bock? Is it meant to be more upscale?

Perhaps. But I'm not sure if this is a wise choice. Bock steel nibs are pretty much troublesome these days. So many bad nibs. In my personal experiene, Chinese nibs of these days are more trouble-free. Then again, I guess it will be a good marketing point using German nib.

Do you happen to have that Hero model number and/or a photo? Would love to see what it looks like.

Also, any idea why Moonman went with Bock? Is it meant to be more upscale? Haven't seen any Chinese pen with Bock since that Titaner.

Would like to see the picture too if available.

well off the memory I don't had one of them and need to go back to see if I had any recorded photo / log of the pen but I vaguely remember it should be a 692 or is it 693 , not the later 80's or 90'sversion which are different pens of the same model name, if my memory serve me right its just plain solid colour plastic and not a good pen either ( a economy workhorse model ). in fact that style a chubby straight rod sort of styling had long been there , and the pointy tip finale is referred to as Mongolian Yurt tip with the Chinese Fountain Pen industry cause it looks the part like that and used on many models , the more commonly seen would be the Hero 330 ( vintage 80's model ) and the Wing Sung 2007 ( 80/90's model ) and currently PenBBS 309 .. and of course plenty of vintage ( as in pre war ) pens like the Wahl

But its digressing here, the Moonman itself, the styling is not a copy but that pen, the trim, the execution is certainly a direct rip off copy alright ; there is no other way to sees it. They can choose to use different trim , differentiate themselves, but they choose not to. its a display of the Chinese consumer product industry / manufacturing sector and how they sees product design as a property. if it were the 1950's or even right up to the 90's I can forgive the naiveness or ignorance , these days its not , its just taking advantage of a faulted ( international ) legal system that suppose to protect industrial design but do not and abuse it for their own benefit and sadly that's legal in China and also legal in so many countries ( yes its legal too even in the state and EU ; any industrial design do not get protection unless its specifically registered ).

Edited by Mech-for-i

Moonman has great skill in making pens. I like their pens. I just hope they further their own design. This is too obvious imitation. Pens have similar points, as some people say. But when similarity gets this far, it's just a copy. What a shame. It's not like Momento Zero was designed 40 years ago and became classic.

Absolutely agree.

I've been wondering on this so many times,

are the Chinese (and their industry) so hard up on own ideas that they still need to copy things from others? still today when they have technology to do anything?

It's puzzling, it's difficult to understand.

No doubt copying is cheaper than working on an own design.

Possibly statistics will also tell them that they sell more by copying a successful idea from others than risking an own design.

But Moonman seemed to have started an (almost) virtuous path of developing own designs...

Inspiration is one thing, exact copy is immoral exploitation of 3rd party rights

So yes its a clone ripoff alright but yet its also not, its unfortunate, Moonman could had made better design just by simply taking these classic design and infuse their own interpretation but they choose to take the easy route ; just copy

this is the part I don't understand

they have experience by now, they have had a go at any design, they are in some way renowned by now as a Chinese pen making company that at last has steered towards better quality, isn't it time to flood the market with their very own fantastic design at a cost that other cannot meet even at a level of high quality and finish?

If they came out with such original design and good quality we here would all buy a piece from them if not more.

When striking the right formula I'm sure they'd sell much more than copies!

what are they waiting for?