The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mont Blanc 149 Meisterstück With Leaking Barrel (Split Barrel)

leak mont blanc sealing meisterstück

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mcmahonsport

mcmahonsport

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 14:35

My Meisterstück leaks where the barrel splits. How easy is it to seal this with beeswax, is it simple to separate? The red arrow shows the leak.

Attached Images

• InkedMontBlanc149 takenapart_LI.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 15:19

Good lord, not you too? :( suffered same on weekend, had been meaning to start a thread.

Except mine is a 146, new to me but probably several decades experienced. Acquired late last year but only got around to cleaning then (in need of something to cheer me up) inking it up on the weekend. Wrote nicely but then noticed both my hands had inky fingers... no way I'm that messy with filling ink.

Big leak between section threads and window.

Wondering if that section is twist/screwed on? Or glued/welded :(

Very good pic that... have been trying to find pics of dissected barrel.

#3 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 20:57

send it to MB for a level 1 service. $90.

#4 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 14:30

send it to MB for a level 1 service. $90.

Might have to, but firstly trying to get confirmed...

1, can't quite confirm Ozzie L1 price... probably A$160-180 I'm guessing

2, my 146 might be "vintage"? It's got full clear window not the striped. I like that big window :) that's what attracted me eye when I chanced across it at last year's pen show. Does MB still have same parts? Or will it be modernised to stripe window :(

#5 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 14:32

oh &

3, if I'm gunna send it to MB service & they'll be swapping out new parts anyway... no harm me trying to patch it back myself first, eh?

:P

#6 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 15:42

send it back to HQ, sometimes they'll do some more work for free for you...

:)

#7 roberthansjorg

roberthansjorg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 15:45

Before you do anything I suggest you contact Michael Knott at Hepworth Dixon Pens. He's got his website under that name.

Your two piece barrel needs to be sealed properly with the right kind of sealant. Some use clear silicone. MB uses it's own coloured mix.

Setting up a 149 is not a simple process. There has to be a vacuum in the barrel and all threaded components have to be sealed properly. Even the nib/feeder end has to be set up carefully. Sited the right way round with the collar. Michael can measure the vacuum in the barrel etc. He's an engineer by trade.

Even taking the pen apart can cause damage if not done properly. You have to have the right tools.

If you want peace of mind get an expert to sort it out.

#8 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:21

Sealing with beeswax is simple, and I have used plain silicone with success too. Dismantling the pen can be tricky. I have had experiences where it was super easy (with the required tools), and some really bad experiences where the nib collar was stuck in the section. If you havent dismantled a 149 before then know that there are risks. All the best!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My Instagram account --> link

#9 mcmahonsport

mcmahonsport

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 18:36

Before you do anything I suggest you contact Michael Knott at Hepworth Dixon Pens. He's got his website under that name.

Your two piece barrel needs to be sealed properly with the right kind of sealant. Some use clear silicone. MB uses it's own coloured mix.

Setting up a 149 is not a simple process. There has to be a vacuum in the barrel and all threaded components have to be sealed properly. Even the nib/feeder end has to be set up carefully. Sited the right way round with the collar. Michael can measure the vacuum in the barrel etc. He's an engineer by trade.

Even taking the pen apart can cause damage if not done properly. You have to have the right tools.

If you want peace of mind get an expert to sort it out.

Thank you for the heads up https://www.hepworthdixon.com/

#10 mcmahonsport

mcmahonsport

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 18:37

Sealing with beeswax is simple, and I have used plain silicone with success too. Dismantling the pen can be tricky. I have had experiences where it was super easy (with the required tools), and some really bad experiences where the nib collar was stuck in the section. If you havent dismantled a 149 before then know that there are risks. All the best!

Thank you, I had hoped it was a simple matter of unscrewing the barrel and sealing with wax.

#11 mcmahonsport

mcmahonsport

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 18:51

Good lord, not you too? :( suffered same on weekend, had been meaning to start a thread.

Except mine is a 146, new to me but probably several decades experienced. Acquired late last year but only got around to cleaning then (in need of something to cheer me up) inking it up on the weekend. Wrote nicely but then noticed both my hands had inky fingers... no way I'm that messy with filling ink.

Big leak between section threads and window.

Wondering if that section is twist/screwed on? Or glued/welded :(

Very good pic that... have been trying to find pics of dissected barrel.

The same for me. I have had the pen from new--and then one day--ink everywhere! Making it unusable. I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the pen, as the cap screws off when I put it in my inside pocket, and end up with an inky jacket.I had a Parker (brilliant pen), Pelikan (brilliant Pen), Mont Blanc Noblesse (brilliant pen)--this one falls short.

#12 tamiya

tamiya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:17

The same for me. I have had the pen from new--and then one day--ink everywhere! Making it unusable.

Is your 149 new enough to look like current production & good chance MB will have correct parts?

Subsequently did some more investigating on my wreck... yep big leak between capthreads and the window. Huge gusher when I expel a fully filled ink reservoir with the piston, nearly as much comes out the side as at the pointy end. :(

If I flex the pen like a banana bender, yep can see some daylight thru the crack at the seam between clear window & resin section. Looks like it's cracked halfway around; doesn't flex in the other direction.

Suspect it's likely to have suffered bring bent in someone's pocket fracturing the body, perhaps where the threaded clear part starts (assuming 146 also has a screwon section). I gave it a good hard try twisting section vs barrel, it's not unscrewing so it's still bonded tight.

Now waiting for it to properly dry out before any further investigation ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leak, mont blanc, sealing, meisterstück

Sponsored Content

|