Fanmu, An Eyedropper On Steroids

Theroc

post-138351-0-67260200-1578965294_thumb.jpg

I found this on eBay and I figured this is just what My Opus 88 Demonstrator needed. It's branded FANMU, though none of the few sellers on eBay who offer it market it as such.

I always found eyedroppers to be inadequate for the purpose of filling their namesake pens; not enough capacity, a hassle to clean... boring...

The Fanmu addresses all these shortcomings, IMHO. It basically works like the filling mechanism in the TWSBI Go and it works really well. It's fun to use and it's quite well made. Looks good too.

It's one of those things that you didn't know you needed, but once you have one you wonder how you managed without.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• Theroc

• fudefan

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

an entire bag of 33 vet syringes with a handfull of different sized blunt tip needles is $5 off Amazon... not as sexy looking, but very functional.

David-

So many restoration projects...

an entire bag of 33 vet syringes with a handfull of different sized blunt tip needles is $5 off Amazon... not as sexy looking, but very functional.

Sure. And in principle you could also spring-load one of those syringes. This is still nicer though.

I'll stick with a traditional syringe, as I make use of the volume markings whilst mixing/diluting inks, as well as filling. They also have, for me, better ergonomics

Add lightness and simplicate.

19,99 AUD... about 14 USD.

When I wanted to use a pen as an eyedropper I went to a pharmacy and bought a syringe with a needle for about 0,25 USD.

Thank you, I'm good.

I have to give them a thumbs up :thumbup: for the descriptive name Fountain Pen Automatic Ink Absorber Ink Suction Auxiliary Needle Portable

I also just use a simple syringe, but I'm strangely intrigued by this gadget. It's obviously a spin off of their pen with the same filling system.

I just use industrial syringe with replaceable screw in BLUNT and / or angled tips ( of various length / gauge ) , the little gadget that now selling online to allow some one to take a nominal converter and use it as an syringe to suck ink out of bottle is perhaps more useful .. and to be fair , plastic squeeze dropper likely do the jb just as great and with less fuss ( and also easier to clean afterward )

It's delightfully goofy.

I ordered two. It just looks fun to use. I have a billion transfer syringes that I just stole from work, but this looks like a slightly more fun version of the same thing, so why not?

God knows this is the least practical hobby on earth, it's not like we can argue pragmatism about anything anymore.

Congrats, you're using a $0.25 transfer syringe (that's the name of the thing you're all trying to describe. They're called transfer syringes.) to fill a $200 eyedropper.... You could have bought one of these and a $10 m2 and saved $180 if you wanted to argue absolute pragmatism.

If you don't want one, don't buy one. But arguing that you're somehow the king of frugality because you're using a cheap syringe is really silly. This is about as "first world problems" as communities get, with the possible exception of watch collectors.

On the more "real world" end, I do kind of dislike having a syringe in my backpack when I need to refill or clean something at work. It looks like I'm a heroin junkie.

This will alleviate that "dude what are you doing" problem and I'll just look like a fountain pen nerd instead of a heroin addict.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

God knows this is the least practical hobby on earth, it's not like we can argue pragmatism about anything anymore.

Yeah... I see your point.