The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fanmu, An Eyedropper On Steroids

eyedropper mystery filler twsbi go

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:04

fanmu.jpg

I found this on eBay and I figured this is just what My Opus 88 Demonstrator needed. It's branded FANMU, though none of the few sellers on eBay who offer it market it as such.

I always found eyedroppers to be inadequate for the purpose of filling their namesake pens; not enough capacity, a hassle to clean... boring...

The Fanmu addresses all these shortcomings, IMHO. It basically works like the filling mechanism in the TWSBI Go and it works really well. It's fun to use and it's quite well made. Looks good too.

It's one of those things that you didn't know you needed, but once you have one you wonder how you managed without.

Sponsored Content

#2 taimdala

taimdala

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:52

Oooh NICE!!

#3 awa54

awa54

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:05

an entire bag of 33 vet syringes with a handfull of different sized blunt tip needles is $5 off Amazon... not as sexy looking, but very functional.

David-

So many restoration projects...

#4 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:16

an entire bag of 33 vet syringes with a handfull of different sized blunt tip needles is $5 off Amazon... not as sexy looking, but very functional.

Sure. And in principle you could also spring-load one of those syringes. This is still nicer though.

#5 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:24

I'll stick with a traditional syringe, as I make use of the volume markings whilst mixing/diluting inks, as well as filling. They also have, for me, better ergonomics

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#6 fudefan

fudefan

Urushist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:15

Nice! Don't need it, for sure, but want it nevertheless. Found it:

https://www.ebay.com...tm/392519396501

Edited by fudefan, 14 January 2020 - 08:18.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

#7 fudefan

fudefan

Urushist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:17

(duplicate)

Edited by fudefan, 14 January 2020 - 08:17.

Japan pen show recaps and more on fudefan.com | photos on Instagram (@fudefan)

#8 WJM

WJM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 13:19

19,99 AUD... about 14 USD. 

When I wanted to use a pen as an eyedropper I went to a pharmacy and bought a syringe with a needle for about 0,25 USD. 

Thank you, I'm good. 

#9 NighthawkSix

NighthawkSix

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 16:39

I have to give them a thumbs up  :thumbup: for the descriptive name Fountain Pen Automatic Ink Absorber Ink Suction Auxiliary Needle Portable

I also just use a simple syringe, but I'm strangely intrigued by this gadget. It's obviously a spin off of their pen with the same filling system.

#10 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:49

I just use industrial syringe with replaceable screw in BLUNT and / or angled tips ( of various length / gauge ) , the little gadget that now selling online to allow some one to take a nominal converter and use it as an syringe to suck ink out of bottle is perhaps more useful .. and to be fair , plastic squeeze dropper likely do the jb just as great and with less fuss ( and also easier to clean afterward )

#11 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:10

It's delightfully goofy.

I ordered two. It just looks fun to use. I have a billion transfer syringes that I just stole from work, but this looks like a slightly more fun version of the same thing, so why not?

God knows this is the least practical hobby on earth, it's not like we can argue pragmatism about anything anymore.

Congrats, you're using a $0.25 transfer syringe (that's the name of the thing you're all trying to describe. They're called transfer syringes.) to fill a $200 eyedropper.... You could have bought one of these and a $10 m2 and saved $180 if you wanted to argue absolute pragmatism.

If you don't want one, don't buy one. But arguing that you're somehow the king of frugality because you're using a cheap syringe is really silly. This is about as "first world problems" as communities get, with the possible exception of watch collectors.

On the more "real world" end, I do kind of dislike having a syringe in my backpack when I need to refill or clean something at work. It looks like I'm a heroin junkie.

This will alleviate that "dude what are you doing" problem and I'll just look like a fountain pen nerd instead of a heroin addict.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 17 January 2020 - 11:15.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#12 WJM

WJM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:36

God knows this is the least practical hobby on earth, it's not like we can argue pragmatism about anything anymore.

Yeah...  I see your point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper, mystery filler, twsbi go

Sponsored Content

|