Pilot Elite "e95S" Review

cgreenberg19

Pilot Elite "E95S"

Overview:

The Pilot Elite is a great pocket pen with a large cap and smaller body, like the Kaweco Sport. The Elite is the pen's name on the Japanese market and the pen is called the E95S in the United States due to a copyright issue. My particular pen is the Japanese market model which has the full word "Elite" on the cap band. The Elite is a super fun pen that is one of Pilot's less popular models that I know of. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the rest of the review :)!

Looks:

I like the classic look of this pen, however considering that this is a reissue of an older Pilot model from the 1960's I think it might just be the vintage inspired look that I like. Compared to my other Pilot/Namiki pens this one looks a bit more interesting than usual. I like the way the dark red on the body and section blends with the gold on the cap. Pilot calls the color ivory and in pictures it looks like a whiter gold, however in person the cap is closer to a gold. Above the center band on my pen it says "Elite" in a cursive style. On the other side it says "Pilot Japan". Normally on Pilot center bands it says "Pilot Japan" over on the band, but on this pen it interrupts the center band to put the text in which for me kind of messes up the look of this pen from the back. The design of the pen makes me think of pens like the Jinhao 51A, Parker 51, and Aurora Duo Cart. The clip is different than more current Pilot clips like the kind with the ball on the end, or the harpoon shaped clip featured on pens like the Pilot Custom Heritage 92. In all, I like the looks of this pen.

Presentation:

Like most of the Pilot pens I have bought or received as gifts, the presentation is basic but nice. With the exception of my Namiki Emperor and Custom 823 all of my Pilot pens have come in pretty basic small boxes that do the job and nothing beyond that. I prefer small boxes because they help keep the cost of the pen down to make them more available to consumers like us. The box is a hard black clamshell box that opens with a latch. The Pilot logo is foil plated on top of the box. Inside the pen comes with a single black Pilot ink cartridge, a how-to booklet and a warranty card in Japanese. I like the basic and straightforward presentation of the Pilot Elite.

Writing:

The pilot Elite comes in Extra Fine, Fine, and Medium nibs. I chose the medium nib. I can tell you that on my pen it is definitely a western medium that isn't super wet. The medium is nice and smooth. I used it with fairly wet ink, however it is a pretty dry writer on a high quality pad of paper. There is no feedback or unpleasant feel on this nib. The one thing I don't love about this inlaid nib is the fact that your fingers tend to slip down onto the nib and get dirty with ink. When writing keep your mind on keeping your fingers farther up on the grip section. The nib has a bit of spring to it, but because this isn't a flex nib, nor is it advertised as such you shouldn't go too crazy flexing this pen. The pen has a great writing feeling.

Likes/Dislikes:

This is mostly a recap of what I like or dislike about the Pilot Elite. I love the looks of this pen especially because it is different than most other Japanese pens I know of due to the vintage look of it. The nib is a great smooth writer that is good for any level of fountain pen experience. I don't love that these pens don't come in a broad because on this pen a broad would be just great. It would be nice if pilot would come out with a converter that is just a convenient as the CON-70, but smaller to fit pens like these. My final complaint with this pen is that when I was writing with the pen my fingers tended to slip down onto the nib and get a bit dirty. Not a huge deal, dirty fingers come with the hobby, but be careful to keep your fingers well above the nib.

post-156355-0-63534800-1578855814_thumb.jpg

Pens top to bottom, Pilot Elite, Kaweco Sport, Lamy Safari, Visconti Homo Sapiens, Pilot Custom 92

post-156355-0-17315900-1578855838_thumb.jpg

Writing Sample

post-156355-0-24285400-1578855875_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the nib

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• djmaher

• dms525

• Baka1969

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, :W2FPN: .

Thank you for your review.

This is not a pen that seems to get much interest, perhaps because of its limited range of nib grades available. When I last looked, the dealer only had this pen in F. Of course for my hand writing, a Japanese F spells disaster. I was hoping for a Broad nib, or even a Medium that could be stubbed. I am used to my Sailors, where their B nibs are actually sized more like a western Ms. I was not sure how Pilot nibs compare with the western nibs.

You report here, that the Elite's nib is dry & seems to draw lines more like a western M. That's encouraging, as I've had a very nice stubbing of a Bock/Kaweco M nib, done in the recent past. Ink flow can be adjusted.

The only other reason I didn't order an E93S when I had the chance, was the fear that the Parker 52-ish "tapered grip" above the inlaid nib may give me grief during writing.

In the early 80s I used a Sheaffer Targa for a while, with a similarly inlaid, size M 14c.nib. Though the Sheaffer's grip was fatter than what the Elite's looks like, I still struggled to hold a good grip on it. I too had many inky fingers.

Your review has motivated me to look at the Pilot Elite remake, with the hope of actually handling one. If my favourite nib-tech Pendleton thinks that this M nib can be stubbed successfully, then I may open my wallet. I do like the look of the pens

Where did you source your's from?.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Great review! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I have considered getting an Elite, but somehow it hasn't happened yet.

And also, welcome to FPN!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I like my elite EF. it is a little dry though.

I will lay the lacquer on the cap is a little soft. it'll get scratched pretty quickly if it's pocketed with any other hard item. Mine got a pretty serious scuff on the first day I had it just from my pocket.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Nice review. My experience with my E95S medium nib mirrors yours, in that it definitely writes like a western medium. But mine is far from dry. I've been considering trying a fine nib, since I like the pen.

Thanks for taking the time to put together and publish your excellent and concise review.

The Pilot Elite 95S in deep red is one of two fountaian pens that, as soon as my wife requisitioned the first one I bought, I felt sufficiently compelled to promptly replace it by ordering another one of the same model in the same colour and/or finish. The other one is the Pilot Capless raden 'galaxy' Vanishing Point; even though I also had the 'stripes' model at the time (and still have it), I didn't want to be without my own 'galaxy' VP, and ordered a replacement on the same evening she took over mine.

In the case of the Elite 95S, I originally bought one with an EF nib (which is fantastic), and when my wife took it from me eighteen months down the track, I decided to order the second one with a F nib. It isn't bad by any means, but I prefer the EF nib, and so I just ended up trading the new pen with her and got my old one back.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Lovely review! I adore my Elite 95s. Its medium nib is, contrary to some, rather on the wet side. As such, the lines are super thicc. I love it! It sits in my hand perfectly, looks snazzy, and it's a joy to write with. Seeing as it is limited to smaller converters, I enjoy using it to test out new inks- especially ones that might have nice shading or sheen!

Wonderful review! I got one for Christmas from my wife (I got to choose). I chose a medium in champagne / burgundy and it is fabulous! I did a YouTube review of mine.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

I have one and got the medium since most Japanese nibs run fine. Not this one; it is wetter and thicker than most European mediums I have.

I also have a mid seventies Elite (steel with the cross hatch finish) with a medium and it writes exactly the same.

I'll sell the 95 eventually, but other than that, it is a nice pen (I love the feel of the long/short pens when you post them-it just glides into place).

the Danitrio Fellowship

Me too. Love them. But like the OP, I yearn for a broad nib...... If only.

for about the price of the pen, greg minuskin can add a huge wad of tipping and make you whatever tip you like!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 1 year later...

Late reply, but just saw this thread looking for further info for a friend to read.

I have had a black Pilot E95s for a few years with Fine nib. Only using it with Pilot cartridges so far as the pen stays in my bag and I can easily pop in a new cartridge when away from home.

The Fine nib that I received writes only slightly wider than other Japanese fine nibs that I have from Sailor and Pilot. Line width on this one is very slightly finer than a Pilot G2 0.7 gel roller, obviously finer than a Pilot Precise V7 RT gel roller. 

It has excellent flow, neither wet nor dry, never skips or slow to start, and is very smooth. Love the feel and enjoy it whenever I use it, despite typically writing with larger pens such as Aurora Optimas and 88s, Sailor 1911s and MB 146.

JR

• 9 months later...

Accurate review.  Great writer (M),  great price ,the inky fingers problem is not as insignificant for me. When I write I want to concentrate on the writing, not on the pen.   I don't mind inky fingers now and then but I personally i find this problem too much with the Elite.  Petty because it is a great writer.

I have one in red, with a medium nib.  This purchase was a direct result of having watched Doug's YouTube review.  The nib is as stated, not too wide, not too narrow.  The flow is medium, not gushy.  It would be a great writer except for one thing:  the cap makes noises when I write.

I have to post the cap in order to have the pen to be long enough to write with.  The cap then rests upon the web of my hand.  The slip on caps have long leaf springs inside to maintain tension.  As the pressure of writing varies, my cap keeps making the occasional soft "click" sound as the cap shifts slightly on the barrel.  After a while, these periodic clicks get so distracting that I start using other pens.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on how well the E95s seals against drying out? Especially in dry climates where that tends to be a problem. Thanks.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

• 7 months later...

i have the same issue with my pilot elite. If i do not use it for a couple of days, it gets dry and it won't stary up immediately. Maybe after 2-3 strokes it starts wtiting again. This is my only complaint with the elite. Otherwise it is a fantastic pen and a great writer for daily use!