New Ink For My Hemingway

fpupulin

Ok Hemingway fans. Heres my question for you...

Should I have my factory Hemingway medium nib tuned to a fine?? Or is that a mistake? I am a user and less concerned about the value in the future. I bought it without a box and have used fairly frequently. Or...am I simply fooling myself that if I had a fine nib that I could write like fpupulin??

Your thoughts?

DWR, the premise is that I basically agree with Geodesigner and Estycollector about the importance of practice. This can not be substituted. However, Joane makes a point here when saying that an interesting nib helps improving the interest of the script.

I use any kind of nibs. From EF to BB, italics and stubs. Those which I use less are Mediums, because the line is too thick for most kind of lettering, and too uniform to be spontaneously expressive.

Medium nibs are often very comfortable and easy, but thes two adjectives are not usually associated with expressive calligraphy.

So, do not expect too much from a more expressive nib in your pen, but almost surely you will have more fun and will be more willing to make practice.

If you havent done that already, and before sending your pen to a nibmeister, I would suggest you to try some inexpensive, expressive nib in the sizes you are thinking about to see the effect on your handwriting.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• NeverTapOut

• Joane

• Estycollector

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok Hemingway fans. Heres my question for you...

Should I have my factory Hemingway medium nib tuned to a fine?? Or is that a mistake? I am a user and less concerned about the value in the future. I bought it without a box and have used fairly frequently. Or...am I simply fooling myself that if I had a fine nib that I could write like fpupulin??

Your thoughts?

Funny, I have a fine nib and am looking for a stubbish medium. My handwriting is miserable and the fine nib mercilessly exposes it.

For an Italian pen forum, I translated the English text into Italian on the same sheets, using a different pen/nib (stub) and a different ink. As you can see, the medium nib would have been too thick for the Spencerian text, and too round for the Carolingian..

Definitively, special nibs help...

fpn_1579403099__image.jpeg

fpn_1579403237__image.jpeg

fpn_1579403295__image.jpeg

I love the look of that double writing, and the idea of using Italian pens ro write in Italian! (I wonder if that would work for me... 😊) It takes a lot of patience to perform the calligraphic writing. Bravo!

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

Fpuplin,

I pulled the trigger tonight and bought a bottle of R & K Sepia for my 149 XXF.

Thank You,

David

A small experiment with my recently purchased Hemingway and the usual Royal Blue Montblanc ink. I also got the Sepia Rohrer 'n' Klingner that I will try with the next opportunity.

post-156254-0-61700600-1579869413_thumb.jpg

A small experiment with my recently purchased Hemingway and the usual Royal Blue Montblanc ink. I also got the Sepia Rohrer 'n' Klingner that I will try with the next opportunity.

attachicon.gif 001.jpg

Nice pen, nice ink and nice poem! Cant go wrong with MB Royal Blue. The beautiful photos in this thread of the Hemingway bring home the feeling that its design is to me the essence of fountain pen. It is a beautiful design. Montblanc got that pen so right!

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

The R & K Sepia arrived this morning.

I loaded it into a MB 149 Fine Italic Nib.

I love this ink. It is so classical and refined.

Thank you for the writing sample or I would have missed out on a great ink.

Regards,

David

attachicon.gif 001.jpg

Any poem (and any excuse) is good to put Hemingway on duty! Congrats, Hemi pal!

The R & K Sepia arrived this morning.

I loaded it into a MB 149 Fine Italic Nib.

I love this ink. It is so classical and refined.

Thank you for the writing sample or I would have missed out on a great ink.

Regards,

David

Fpuplin,

The Italian was written with what "green" ink.

I looks familiar.

Regards,

David

Is that dark and dirty blackish brown a fabulous ink, isn't it? Glad you got it a try and you like it.

That green, that tender, juicy, wet and fresh green is Iroshizuku Chiku-rin, and it truly looks as a new born bamboo shoot...

Thank you for this thread. I’ve learned a few things and had a thoroughly enjoyable time reading it.

I’m inclined to try the Sepia ink. Just one question. Is there any IG in the ink?

Old Salt,

I asked myself the same question and the answer is no. There is "some" water resistance.

It is also very easy to clean out of a pen. Easier than MontBlanc Inks.

Depending upon the nib and wetness...you can get 5 different shades from the ink.

Like Franco said...The dirty blackish brown is very elegant and vintage yet unique and complex.

Plus it's not an expensive ink.

Regards,

David

Edited by NeverTapOut

Old Salt,

I asked myself the same question and the answer is no. There is "some" water resistance.

It is also very easy to clean out of a pen. Easier than MontBlanc Inks.

Depending upon the nib and wetness...you can get 5 different shades from the ink.

Like Franco said...The dirty blackish brown is very elegant and vintage yet unique and complex.

Plus it's not an expensive ink.

Regards,

David

Thanks David. I’ve been leaning towards a brown ink for a while but haven’t known enough to pull the trigger. I’m going to order a bottle of this Sepia tonight.