The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sprung Nib?

sprung nib nib spring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 13:44

I'm afraid I accidentally sprung my Sailor 1911L nib a little. I may have accidentally given a tad too much pressure when writing.

It's not bad at all. I can see a tiny separation between the tines, and the nib is writing more like a M than the MF it is (it is noticeably wetter than before). I don't have any skipping or hard starts, I just don't like that it has become much wetter.

I may not have actually sprung it, but just in case, what measures can I take to fix it?

Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#2 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 14:48

Try, gently but firmly, squeezing the shoulders together for a second. Write and see if there is any difference. If yes, but not enough, squeeze again. If not try for two seconds ..........

Edited by Karmachanic, 12 January 2020 - 14:50.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#3 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 20:24

Try, gently but firmly, squeezing the shoulders together for a second. Write and see if there is any difference. If yes, but not enough, squeeze again. If not try for two seconds ..........

I've tried this, doesn't seem to do anything. I will try again though. 

#4 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 23:20

Those Sailor (21c. or even 14c.) nibs are as hard as rock. :yikes:  

I'd consult a trusted nib-tech like Mr. Masuyama who has worked at Sailor,  instead of taking the do-it-yourself approach.  (No affiliation except a "round-nosed CI" nib grind done in the last decade.)

This is my usual council.

I know that a good many enthusiasts here like to tinker with some or all parts of their pen, but in the case of a narrow grade, 21c. Sailor nib, I'd let the nib experts make the adjustment. 

It's more costly & takes longer, but there is usually a guarantee with the work.

Just my 0.02 CAD.    tinta 

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold,blue/black 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM),14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sprung nib, nib, spring

Sponsored Content

|