The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

1950 Montblanc M144A Repair Woes

montblanc m144a repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ius66

ius66

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:39

So that kind of sucked: sent a pen I inherited off to Montblanc because it wont pump ink. Figured old piston gaskets had crumbled or something, which I thought would be a simple matter for them. Not so. They returned it unfixed with a charming letter saying they were out of spare parts and unable to repair it to a state of perfection. I would have thought in this day and age with CNC routers, lathes and 3D printers... I would honestly have settled for a state of working.

Anyhow, does anyone know anyone who might give it a try?

Kind regards,

ius

Attached Images

• FF8BAB12-277E-4420-8B90-7E150358D133.jpeg

Sponsored Content

#2 TimeoDanaos

TimeoDanaos

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:05

I've often seen people refer to this guy: http://www.maxpens.de/

I don't have any personal experience with him, but I too have a 1950's 144 that needs a new cork, so I am perusing my budget to see if I should get in contact.

#3 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:02

Max Schrage of maxpens.de is a good option in EU. Francis Goosen (Fountainbel) on this forum is another. Brad Torelli in the US.

#4 ius66

ius66

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 19:38

Thank you both

#5 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 18:25

Max Schrage of maxpens.de is a good option in EU. Francis Goosen (Fountainbel) on this forum is another. Brad Torelli in the US.

+1

#6 ius66

ius66

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:03

Got in touch with Fountainbel who promptly and as far as I can judge very professionally fixed what Montblanc said they couldn't.

In place of what was merely a memento of my father and grandfather I now have a lovely, restored and functioning pen in my small collection, as well as a memento.

Edited by ius66, 30 January 2020 - 10:22.

#7 FredRydr

FredRydr

Have Pen. Will Travel.

• Member - Gold

• 4,423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:56

See: http://www.fountainp...oration-advice/

#8 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 14:15

Got in touch with Fountainbel who promptly and as far as I can judge very professionally fixed what Montblanc said they couldn't.

In place of what was merely a memento of my father and grandfather I now have a lovely, restored and functioning pen in my small collection, as well as a memento.

So glad to hear that Frances got your pen restored to working order.  You went to the right place for help.   It is a beautiful old pen.  I hope it gives you years of enjoyment.

#9 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 16:39

Excellent!

It's a fantastic pen! 

The celluloid 144's are brilliant. They can write all day and not skip a beat - and yours is a striking example..

Your initial guess was probably correct: a new seal, or cork and a bit of lube may have done the trick.

The twin telescopic piston is much loved by MB users. The factory no longer carries parts for these pens.

Should last another lifetime, after Francis has worked on it!

Enjoy!

And congratulations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc m144a, repair

Sponsored Content

|