The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Esterbrook Deluxe Sm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Estycollector

Estycollector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2020 - 19:31

If my source is correct, this is the SM series Deluxe friction cap fit made between 1949-54. This one came with the box from a seller who is not a pen dealer so I suspect the box is original to the pen. 

The pen drew water and then released. It had just a faint bit of blue ink color when I released the lever to empty which makes me think the pen was only factory tested and never used. 

Anyway, this is the second one of this color I've found. The other one will be going to my grand daughter Monday filled with Waterman black ink. 

Attached Images

• Deluxe.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 19:08

The new one I got from the factory back in the day didn't have any ink residue, and I had to start the ink flow "manually" as the point was dry. I don't think the factory does that.  It likely happened at the pen shop, where they allow customers to dip the pen to test the point.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 Estycollector

Estycollector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 22:15

The new one I got from the factory back in the day didn't have any ink residue, and I had to start the ink flow "manually" as the point was dry. I don't think the factory does that.  It likely happened at the pen shop, where they allow customers to dip the pen to test the point.

Okay, I can see that being the case. Thank you for responding. 

#4 Grayspoole

Grayspoole

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 22:35

That’s a pretty color and an unusual Esterbrook. Your granddaughter should enjoy it. What’s the nib like?

#5 Estycollector

Estycollector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 23:15

That’s a pretty color and an unusual Esterbrook. Your granddaughter should enjoy it. What’s the nib like?

This one has the 2668, but then one I sent came with a 9461 and tended to sweat a bit with  Waterman Tender Purple so I swapped out that nib for a 9550 that I think will be more ink sparing and hopefully will last longer between fills. She also has a nice Wing Sung 2019 601 that she asked for last year. 

The one I sent is filled with Waterman black. 

Thank you for responding. :)

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 23:15

I like the Deluxe SM pens, but not nearly as much as the Deluxe LK pens.  The SM, with that slip cap, is always a bit wonky.   If you look hard enough, you can find the later SM with the threaded caps, and those I prefer.  I have a dark gray one in my collection.

Oddly enough, one of the first desk pen sets I ever got was a Deluxe SM pen, in that olive greed, that was chained to an eight-ball pen holder.  It's the only one like it I've ever seen.

#7 Estycollector

Estycollector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:30

I like the Deluxe SM pens, but not nearly as much as the Deluxe LK pens.  The SM, with that slip cap, is always a bit wonky.   If you look hard enough, you can find the later SM with the threaded caps, and those I prefer.  I have a dark gray one in my collection.

Oddly enough, one of the first desk pen sets I ever got was a Deluxe SM pen, in that olive greed, that was chained to an eight-ball pen holder.  It's the only one like it I've ever seen.

I've seen the ones for sale with threads. I do feel safer with threads. 

Thank you for your post. :)

#8 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 00:18

Yes the De Luxe penslook  great and are delightful writers

I have never had an issue with the slip cap models unless you would count one being strong armed into the cap

Once I got it out  it restored just fine.

When you can find one do take it home with you.

TJ

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#9 Estycollector

Estycollector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:18

Yes the De Luxe penslook  great and are delightful writers

I have never had an issue with the slip cap models unless you would count one being strong armed into the cap

Once I got it out  it restored just fine.

When you can find one do take it home with you.

TJ

I was hoping you would reply. Like you, no issues with the three friction caps I have staying put, but I will take no chances by clipping into my shirt button section....lol!!

#10 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 19:53

I have a burgundy SM Deluxe, and it has been a daily user since I got it. I have gone through a few different nibs with it, and love the feel of the pen. The clutch does come loose every so often, not off of the pen though.  I love the color of the pen and of the jewels, it has a great streamlined look to it. 

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#11 Estycollector

Estycollector

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 20:04

Thank you for sharing your experience JakobS.

Sponsored Content

|